Builders needed: City Building

Discussion in 'Questions, Discussions & Feedback' started by michaelhartman89, Jun 26, 2017.

1. Apollonius

Apollonius Lieutenant

Thanks a lot, and not yet. I was waiting until it was more developed before I shared it publicly, but I would love to see some other people running around, flying around, driving motorcycles around, etc. Even if the whole place got destroyed I could just reset it. All of those things add to the feeling of it being a real city, and not just an abandoned metropolis. Anything toward that helps. The light from the buildings does not carry a realistic distance at all in the game, unfortunately. If we can't even see lights from the city 2 blocks away, how will we see stars that are millions of miles away?

Hopefully when the mechanics of the game change to encompass a living, procedural universe, that will also change.

2. Tryst

Tryst Captain

I'd really like to see some way of removing that 250 block restriction. Having only 500 blocks from end to end means big cities are not possible and even less so to have public transport or even roads between them.

3. Slipstream

Slipstream Captain

I love this thread so much.

Tyrax Lightning likes this.
  4. michaelhartman89

michaelhartman89 Rear Admiral

Yah me too. I was hoping that it would catch on and interest more builders, but they could just be waiting for more features like me before they throw a lot of time and effort into designing civilian structures.

Hopefully down the line we will see some more additions to this thread

5. Wild_XIII

Wild_XIII Captain

I'm happy to have a crack at this. By my own admission though, I'm not very creative on my buildings. They usually end up very plain but I'm happy to put up some attempts... once I get some built. :)

6. michaelhartman89

michaelhartman89 Rear Admiral

Well I believe once you start and practice, you'll find your niche. All my buildings looked boxy when I started out, and it took a while to get the hang of it. My best advice is to find some concept art buildings that you like and try to remake them in Empyrion at first. After a while, you will develop your own little tricks

Tyrax Lightning and Wild_XIII like this.
  7. Wild_XIII

Wild_XIII Captain

Thanks. :)

Here's something I tried before. It's some kind of landing pad with a set of apartments in a tower block. Kind of difficult to build when you can't see what the gravity gen is actually holding down! Very much a WIP still as I never found the inspiration to finish it... like most of my stuff! :p NewGame_1_2016-12-07_23-39-13.png

8. Tyrax Lightning

Tyrax Lightning Rear Admiral

Oh hell yeah... now we got Armored Concrete to work with! :D

I still need to actually get anything done for this Thread... plotting & scheming ideas... I'm Posting this mainly just to Reboot my presence in this Thread.

9. Jenniphurr

Jenniphurr Captain

Sorry I am so late to this but, I do love this idea! Planet side structures I fall a bit short at so I don't know what I would be able to contribute.
    I wouldn't mind taking a look at what people have already done to maybe seek some inspiration?

Color me intrigued!

10. piddlefoot

piddlefoot Rear Admiral

Ive chatted to the owner of Empyrion, Luke, who informed me that removing the creative grid was on his list of things to do, I have urged him to speed that feature up, and add an audio warning to builders when they hit the MP grid limits it buzzes gives a warning and no builder then has any excuse, you can then build for pure creativity or for the games practical use.
    Scale should be determined by how much lag your willing to deal with, if you want a Babylon5 station 10klm long its your choice.
    Its always better to be limited by tech not programming.

So hopefully we will see this feature in 2018 be set free, I don't think the devs realize how powerful MASSIVE builds on workshop can be on players looking for a new building game.
    Grid size really matters.

11. oojimaflip

oojimaflip Captain

I can happily ignore all the PvP balance bullshit, all aspects of survival, the hinky flight mechanics and the majority of bugs, but this single thing fundamentally limits my creative freedom in a manner I have been unable to recover from.

12. Ivo Shandor

Ivo Shandor Commander

I may very well incorporate some of these into my scenario if those that have posted have no objections. No one has posted anything in quite some time so I thought I would share a couple of my current projects. The first is a farming / trading station, the idea here is to provide foods stuffs super cheap and buy certain components at a premium. 20180112211719_1.jpg 20180112211754_1.jpg

The second is a mining space station. Sorry for the dark photos on this one. 20180112211955_1.jpg 20180112211934_1.jpg

13. piddlefoot

piddlefoot Rear Admiral

I hope we see creative grid limits removed this year.
    Ive hinted on there chat channel again about it, 2018 is the year we should get it done ! [crosses fingers lol ]

''For me, Empyrion would not be complete with the current size restriction. So, I say - it will happen.'' Luke'

That's the reply I got guys !

We may finally see real freedom in the building scale in creative this year, 4 years Ive been itching to go giant in Empyrion, we should see a burst of pretty incredible builds on workshop, real cities finally, I think the biggest problem really is getting BPs to work properly with potentially such huge grids.

My question is what happens if its so big it goes out of render range, yea hard at 3000m but not impossible, we have fun times ahead !

14. Tyrax Lightning

So... 2018 will be the year the Space Moles & their Godmode Huge Build Size skills become invincible... :p

On such huge builds, even 5x2x5 Guns are gonna look like teeny tiny Potato Guns on them... hint hint Devs. ;)

Also some more 3D-ness in Gun Technology Strategy would be nice... Space is a 3D Battlefield after all. Here's to hoping 2018 is the Year Empyrion's 3D gets a big barrel of love! :D

15. ion_storm

ion_storm Captain

16. Tyrax Lightning

ion_storm likes this.
  17. ion_storm

ion_storm Captain

18. Tyrax Lightning

Ahh, my bad. I didn't actually have time to actually watch any of the Vids, so I didn't know that. I only just noticed that they were Vids in general. :oops:

19. The Tactician[ Λ ]

The Tactician[ Λ ] Rear Admiral

witch one is in the first image?

20. The Tactician[ Λ ]

The Tactician[ Λ ] Rear Admiral

[​IMG]
    its not perfect but its mostly there for a adm building
    p.s. ignore the file name based after my planet thats being worked on

Attached Files: