[Challenge] Give me your tired, your poor, your block-limited vessels.

Discussion in 'Questions, Discussions & Feedback' started by Slipstream, Nov 4, 2016.

1. dpburke2

dpburke2 Captain

I have a CV blueprint that for a moment I tried qualifying for this challenge. It was my largest CV thus far. I was going to use the XL thrusters to bring the count down, but when I saw how quickly it burned up fuel that was a no go. As big at it was, that CV wasn't big enough to hold enough fuel. Still, I have designed a few more that fit within the restrictions. Not because I was building them specifically for this challenge but because they didn't need more than that in thrusters/RCS.

This first is my ATV heavily modified as I prefer to hunt with thrusters rumbling about me. Even with a few more thrusters than the base form, this still comes in less than 20 (and I have been counting the hover engines against this limit).

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1138225486

[​IMG]

These next two are point defense systems. I suppose I could have gone with more hardened steel blocks and fewer thrusters. There are variations I have seen that are essentially a turret you position. But I thought I would rather go with more than one turret and something I could drive around. For example, something I could park nearby to keep predators / drones from disturbing me while I salvage the blocks that make up a POI using my multitool--a tedious and time consuming process.

Note that the Steamer Duck was created first. When I realized that I was only using three hover engines like a trike, then I decided that I needed to make a trike out of it too. I have been using the trike in my survival game. Park my CV on one side of my work site, move the trike over to the other side, and then work in peace... save for radiation, heat, cold, food and O2 concerns.

Steamer Duck
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1146103650

[​IMG]

Trike
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1265265023

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
    Theurgist, Tyrax Lightning and rucky like this.
  2. Hicks42

Hicks42 Rear Admiral

Older one
    [​IMG]
    From this
    , As I am sure some of the usual suspects that I am seeing here will note without my prompts.
    [​IMG]

810 iron
    271 copper
    1594 silicon

Basically a flying greenhouse with amenities.

Does Not red line on omicron in 3 vector flight.

6 thrusters 1 RCS :p

Kahrek likes this.
  3. Kahrek

Kahrek Captain

I like it! A flying wee errr vegetable plantation always practical.

Hicks42 likes this.
  4. Robot Shark

Robot Shark Rear Admiral

It was from my small generator CV challenge, but here you go.
    Modified for 7.0 so it can be built in-system.

CV-Schlock Runner

[​IMG]

Hicks42 likes this.
  5. Theurgist

Theurgist Captain

UrgiCorp DrillMate.jpg
    How's this utility HV? It's a bit dodgy to stop moving forwards quickly and is bad at actual mining, despite the mining laser, but makes up for it in other ways.

It has low profile to get under things better, and through the most basic hangar doors easily and drills excellent angled mining access shafts. It's main role is to get past the above hangar door into your subterranean levels to speed the excavation process! A patent pending Triple-Point drill mounting system allows drilling at any angle.

It was designed with it's function first and with costs in mind, so only absolute minimum systems needed to function (Power systems, 3 hover pads, 1 RCS, and 1 thruster for each direction except up.) & it's mining turret were installed. Practicality demanded light defensive capabities to deal with any wandering drones.

6. Max Archer

Max Archer Commander

I think my Lake Hollywood-Class just about qualifies, though it's at the opposite end of the spectrum, more about packing as much functionality into the limits as possible than building the most simple and stripped down thing imaginable. The result is a CV that can be built quite quickly and cheaply but which has everything you'd need to use it into endgame. It could be made even cheaper by removing high-level devices (Advanced Constructor, T2 fridges, etc.)

(And yes, I realize I broke the thruster limit by one, but there's an upward-facing small thruster on the bow that could be easily removed without much impact on performance.)

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1194185778

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Theurgist, ion_storm and rucky like this.
  7. Max Archer

Max Archer Commander

If the last one wasn't simple enough, how about this?

[​IMG]

It's a tiny CV designed for the sole purpose of shuttling a mining HV around our home system. It's unarmed, unarmored, and has no warp capability - but it's cheaper to build than many SVs, and does its job well. It has 13 small thrusters and two RCSs.

[​IMG]

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1194214318

Last edited: Nov 7, 2017
    monktk, dpburke2, Theurgist and 2 others like this.
  8. Kahrek

Kahrek Captain

I like making and using my own BP in survival games but I am really horribad at making HVs. I decided to sit down and work at it till I had a functional low end HV that had an actual interior as early as possible (L5 it seems).

Top.jpg Top 2.jpg Side 2.jpg Front.jpg Back.jpg Interior 1.jpg Interior 2.jpg Interior 3.jpg Stats.jpg

Quick video tour and handling demonstration

Steam workskop link
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1197509524

As always feedback even if harsh is appreciated.

Cheers!

Kahrek Laume

Attached Files:

monktk likes this.
  9. Theurgist

Theurgist Captain

Looks good, but I have a suggestion to improve it further, texture everything not textured with one of the plain metals (the 'worn' metal may be appropriate), then do the interior walls/ceiling with plates/plate light combos, and the floor with the walking plate textures. I don't have EGS up currently so can't quickly screenshot up an example

10. Kahrek

Kahrek Captain

Thank you for your suggestions. I am not a huge fan of texturing everything and some of the textures do not line up properly because of the angular blocks.

That said I will keep what you suggested in mind and try to give it a new paint job tonight. Nothing like trying things out and seeing if they work. If you have a screen grab of what you mentioned I would really appreciate any pointers you could share.Thank you.

Kahrek Laume,

11. Kahrek

Kahrek Captain

Well, I tried to implement your advice and made a fully textured version of my Caravel HV. Added spotlights and a real ramp so level went to 7 and also re-positioned the turrets and hover thrusters. What do you think?

Perspective.jpg Side.jpg Side 2.jpg Bottom.jpg Back.jpg Front.jpg Interior 1.jpg Interior 2.jpg Stats.jpg

dpburke2, monktk, rucky and 2 others like this.
  12. Theurgist

Theurgist Captain

Now I want one.^^

13. Kahrek

Kahrek Captain

14. monktk

monktk Captain

I made, well, these Galileo II shuttlecraft from Star Trek. One's an SV which has been done to death, the other is a CV which is perhaps a little weird ;) I just really like this sort of look.

[​IMG]

CV has 12 Small Thrusters, 1 small RCS, 0 weapons, thin paper armor, warp capable. Must run away (turns well and flies at CV speed limit in atmo) or be defended by a combat SV.
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1203005033

946 iron
    146 copper
    200 silicon
    715 neodymium
    315 cobalt
    341 sathium
    6 steel grow plots
    4 wood
    4 plastic

SV has 14 Small Thrusters (4 downward or it can't get off of Omicron, hee hee), 2 RCS, 2 gatling guns, thin hardened armor, warp capable.
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1203005130

376 iron
    170 sathium
    157 silicon
    200 copper
    122 cobalt

Unfortunately, both of them are in a bit of trouble if they make thrusters damage nearby blocks. I can fix it fairly easily, but it wouldn't look right.

Edited to adjust costs on the SV to account for the fact that I remembered that fridges are a thing.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2017
    Robot Shark likes this.
  15. Tryst

Tryst Captain

16. Mysh

Mysh Captain

lol
    now that you brought that up ... yes! :D

17. dpburke2

dpburke2 Captain

I have been going through cleaning up blueprints and refining my long term BP plans based on some of the changes from Alpha 7. I still have yet to clean up the Turkey, shared in this forum. It will get two more RCS (for a total of 4), and more storage, but that is to comply with changes in resource collection and to take advantage of the smaller warp drive. When that happens, I will update the original post. So what I am going to post here are a couple additional BP not previously shared here.

Originally the Hummingbird was within the thruster count for this challenge but far exceeded the RCS restriction. Really, that many RCS was far excessive for such a light vessel. The original actually had fewer thrusters by using the next model up, but I wanted to drop the unlock level. So I waited to share this here until after my modifications to see if would fit. Just barely, at the maximum of 20 thrusters and 4 RCS for the challenge.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1219109868

[​IMG]

While I use a larger HV for attacking the outside of POIs, when I wished the HV could fit inside the POI then I created a few tiny BPs for just that purpose. There is no docking pad underneath to prevent "sticking" (docking). The tiny thing fits in the space of two large blocks. I thought about cramming more on the tiny BP, but it already has very little in surface to decorate. With the restriction to fit into such a small space, it ended fitting well within this challenge. I will eventually share some of the others that are also this tiny, but I am not done with those blueprints yet. So here I present the first of my tiny BPs, the Mini Nymph.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1167117799

[​IMG]

18. Ivo Shandor

Ivo Shandor Commander

19. Tyrax Lightning

Tyrax Lightning Rear Admiral

Ivo Shandor likes this.
  20. Kahrek

Kahrek Captain

I agree. Looks great :)

Tyrax Lightning and Ivo Shandor like this.