Cockpit Exiting

Discussion in 'FAQ & Feedback' started by Fisch050, Jun 30, 2019.

Tags:
?

Do you want to go back to the older mode of exiting a cockpit, exiting from where you entered?

1. Yes

7 vote(s)
    31.8%
  2. Heck yes!

10 vote(s)
    45.5%
  3. No

5 vote(s)
    22.7%
  1. Fisch050

Fisch050 Lieutenant

How do I feel about the newish mode of exiting cockpits? I hate, loathe, abhor, and despise it. It is terrible, both as an idea, and as executed. It has made it almost impossible to have an inside cockpit anymore.

Even if there are empty blocks available around it, I end up dumped INSIDE the blocks! It has gotten so bad that I, and the guy I play with, go to God mode prior to exiting any craft, because we KNOW we will be thrust through (or into) a wall, or other piece of machinery. If we're not in God mode, we end up highly damaged or dead.

I recently created a ship. There is an inside cockpit, up against an outside wall on the left side, but with an empty area on the right side. I enter the cockpit from the empty area to the right. I exit the cockpit, and I am violently thrown THROUGH THE WALL to fall to my death below. WHY?

I have an armored cockpit that is enterable from the inside passenger area. I exit and end up on the roof of the armored cockpit. Again, WHY?

It has literally made several ships unusable, as the exit mechanism either throws the player (me) into a death trap (like sticking me into the middle of a thruster), or puts me into a place where I can't move. I'm not even sure how I end up there.

I've played with this new exit mode for a while now, trying to get used to it, and it has only gotten worse with age.

What in the world was wrong with exiting from where I entered? This awful game mechanic has nearly completely destroyed the ability to have internal cockpits.

Please Please PLEASE get rid of this stupid and unneeded game mechanic, and return it to the way it was before - exiting from where I entered.

Thank you for your time.

Out of breath from venting

2. stanley bourdon

stanley bourdon Captain

Returning to a mechanism that allows exploits is not viable. The mechanics of cockpit exiting needs refinement. A better set of rules that can be used when designing ships is a must. So I vote no as there is no option for improvement in the vote list.

KRanKO5, Sephrajin and krazzykid2006 like this.
  3. Fisch050

Fisch050 Lieutenant

@stanley bourdon Thank you for your feedback. What do you mean by exploits? How does exiting where you entered allow for exploits? I am unfamiliar with the exploits to which you are referring.

KRanKO5 and stanley bourdon like this.
  4. stanley bourdon

stanley bourdon Captain

My understanding is that you could park the ship next to a player base in such a way that when you exited the cockpit you would be inside the base. Thus bypassing any doors or other security, the base builder had designed or installed. It was reported in the original discussions about this change that that was the primary reason for the change. It was reported that the exploit was repeatable and only took a minimum of build design understanding.

KRanKO5 and Fisch050 like this.
  5. StyxAnnihilator

StyxAnnihilator Captain

But I would want to choose if to be placed on top or back, or to a "valid" position if any of those are blocked. Same for a Pilot seat. Could maybe combine this with the "Exit" button and then a movement key (WASD, Up, Down) for the direction you will exit.

KRanKO5 and stanley bourdon like this.
  6. Sephrajin

Sephrajin Rear Admiral

With my most recent SV (DSEV Pandora) I do not share the experience you describe.
    I have 3 seats in the Cockpit, all of which put you perfectly in the center of the room/hallway-entry (see screenshot for reference).

While I undertand it build-wise (lazy), i dont understand it design-wise (less protection)… why use a closed Cockpit for a SV with walk-able interior, to me, this just doesnt fit together - at the very least it is not consistent.

This said, I am under the Impression that they already updated the 'new Exit code', as I find the current behaviour alot better than in earlier A10 exp.

However, a friend of mine has a design where you enter the closed Cockpit from the Bottom of the ship, and with the new mechanic - exists on top.
    While this is unusal, that ship would easly be the best suited sv for high-gravity - if it could fly in high-gravity :D :p

Attached Files:

stanley bourdon likes this.
  7. CatmanDoes

CatmanDoes Lieutenant

Kinda makes those nice big SV ships you get off the workshop a bit rubbish, they got a lovely design and interior; you go up inside and there's and "access panel" to the cockpit. But when you go to exit: instead of going to the inside of the ship the game dumps you on top of the cockpit.

Do not want

Fisch050 likes this.
  8. Vermillion

Vermillion Rear Admiral

It'd be better if when exiting a cockpit they first checked whether there's any obstruction where the player entered from before placing them there. If there's an obstruction it checks the surrounding spaces in the same way and ejects the player in an open space as close to the entry point as possible.
    As long as it's checking a space before sticking the player there, there won't be people getting stuck in their ship or through other people's walls. It just needs to prioritize the location the player entered from first. I suspect it does this more or less now, but it doesn't check the player's entry location first and that needs to change.

KRanKO5, Khazul and Fisch050 like this.
  9. Fisch050

Fisch050 Lieutenant

@stanley bourdon Thank you! I was unaware of that issue. Clearly, it needs to be prevented. Unfortunately, the current solution seems to create a worse problem - ruining many blueprints, and making for problematic and "unfun" gameplay.

Why not exit where entered, except if the exiting building ID is not consistent with ship and player location? A quick explanation:
    I will use SV's as an example, as it is the more complex situation, but this would also apply to HV's. I doubt this is an issue with CV's.
    The game knows the ID of the SV, and the ID of the playfield, CV, or BA the SV resides in. When exiting, attempt to exit where entered. If the ID of the location entered after exiting the cockpit is not the ID of the playfield, the CV, or BA where the SV resides, then move the exit to the nearest empty space that meets the rules (basically, the current solution).

This basically combines the original "exit where entered" logic with the current "exit in an empty, non-exploitable space" solution. However, it defaults to the original logic, and only uses the (inferior) current logic when necessary to avoid the exploit.

The current solution really feels, to me, like killing a fly with a sledgehammer, and then attempting to ignore the destroyed wall. This is especially true when a smaller logic check should be all that is needed to resolve the issue.

stanley bourdon likes this.
  10. CrazyZ

CrazyZ Captain

I have a similar issue on one of my newest SV builds (Thanks for pointing that out, Germanicus). I have the smallest indoor cockpit built into the ceiling of my SV with two empty block areas on each side that are 3 blocks in length. Everytime when exiting the cockpit the player would land on the left side of it. Between the cockpit and the floor is a block space of 3. If the player gets out of the cockpit he´d injure himself and even break his leg. Usually you won´t get any injuries when falling down 3 SV blocks in height. I have to build an ugly combination of blocks underneath to prevent injuries. That kinda sucks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Khazul and Fisch050 like this.
  11. Fisch050

Fisch050 Lieutenant

I've seen similar behaviour in another SV with the same "cockpit in the ceiling" layout, with open spaces on either side. Prior to the change, I could enter the cockpit from the floor and exit fine. Now when I exit, I usually end up stuck in the ceiling, stuck in the cockpit, or stuck in the wall. Whatever happens, I am stuck. And usually taking lots of damage, to boot.

CrazyZ likes this.
  12. orcaman98

orcaman98 Ensign

While "exit where you enter," has some appeal, I see the downsides of that, in addition to those from exploits. I'd prefer to see a setting on cockpit-type parts for where you should exit from it, examples being top, back, bottom, front, left, right. If you wanted to be REALLY cool, you could make the setting a hierarchy, and if there's a collision in the default direction, go down the list. With this approach, even a range limit of "direct contact with the cockpit should be" perfectly acceptable to even picky ship designers.

13. IndigoWyrd

IndigoWyrd Rear Admiral

Can we compromise with an "Exit where you Entered, but within 1 block of the cockpit, in the same plane"?

14. Schultzy

Schultzy Ensign

This "feature" needs revisiting. Need to be able to set exit direction when placing a cockpit. Gives an option for a cleaner vehicle design. Open chair cockpits require a lot of space around it because you don't know which direction you'll exit. Exiting an open cockpit when the vehicle is at an angle is another issue.

Fisch050 and Khazul like this.
  15. Fisch050

Fisch050 Lieutenant

Absolutely agree. I am still exiting into walls, through floors, into equipment consoles. There has to be a better way to resolve the small problem than randomly (and violently) throwing people out of the cockpit seat.