CURRENTLY not reproducible Constant random game FREEZES causing PC lockup.

Discussion in 'Currently not reproducible' started by Dunravin, Feb 23, 2024.

1. Dunravin

Dunravin Ensign

For more information see here Bug Report Template

Build: 1.11.3 4457
    Mode: MP/SP/Scenario/Creative

SERVER NAME: N/A
    SEED-ID: N/A

If applicable:
    MODIFIED PLAYFIELDS: N/A

Reproducibility: Happens Constantly
    Severity: Critical - Unplayable

Type: FREEZE

Summary: majority of time it causes a complete PC lockup requiring a hard reset. I was playing RE 1.11 scenario and MP but have removed all that and its happening on vanilla SP/Scenario.

Happens on any level of graphics settings.

Description: The game will freeze at random times. A lot of the logs end with;

d3d11: failed to create buffer (target 0x5 mode 0 size 1344) [0x887A0005]
    d3d11: failed to create staging 2D texture w=128 h=2 d3dfmt=10 [887a0005]

more recent logs don't report anything in particular.

I have tried adding a CPU core voltage offset of +0.025V as I saw from another Unity game forum it fixed some players with this issue but no different.

My CPU and GPU are currently all stock values, no over or underclocking or voltage offsets.

Other games are running fine.
    No hardware issues, latest clean install of NVIDEA drivers. Used DDU prior to install.
    Windows is up to date. No third party virus scanners just Windows Defender.

No overheating. GPU memory not even half full. GPU utilisation is low CPU utilisation is low.

Steps to Reproduce:
    1) Play the game. Game freezes. PC freezes.
    2) Hard reset PC
    3) Play the game. Game freezes. PC freezes....

Screenshots, Crash Logs, any other Relevant Information or Download links:

Attached Files:

cmguardia likes this.
  2. cmguardia

cmguardia Captain

Yes.
    It's happening to me after upgrading to Windows 10 (not by choice).
    Not only does the game freeze but it won't let me exit Windows. I keep listening to the audio of the game or music that is playing on my playlist or on YouTube. But neither the game, nor the keyboard, nor the mouse will respond. In the end, after a minute or two I no longer have sound and I have to reset the computer.
    I was checking and there is a guide on how to solve it posted here. I tried everything.
    It seemed that providing compatibility with Windows 8 had solved the problem... but it didn't.
    I don't know what to do.

It only happens to me with Empyrion, none of the other games, even No Man's Sky in high performance doesn't give me problems.

I see this pattern: If I play Empyrion without running any other programs, chances are nothing bad will happen.
    If when playing Empyrion I am running another program, even a poor simple word processor, a browser page open, Empyrion may freeze and the PC may also freeze beyond repair.
    It can even break while loading the game, before you can do anything!

3. japp_02

japp_02 Commander

In 1.11.3 I have recently experienced freezes when using the N menu, suddenly my avatar is stucked and no keys will work anymore, I had to kill the game.

4. Cutty

Cutty Ensign

6 times it happened to me today at random. Last time I logged back in, to find myself falling back to planet surface, my ship half way around the planet, and no way to get back into it at the altitude I was at. TOTALLY FRUSTRATING!!!

5. Cutty

Cutty Ensign

Yes, 6 times this happened to me today. All Random. I will now quit trying to play the scenario, maybe the base RE Atlantis Next will work

6. Stan2112

Stan2112 Lieutenant

Instead of a scenario, you should try a vanilla game to see if it crashes there too.

7. cmguardia

cmguardia Captain

It happens to me in vanilla game.
    Starting in at least 3 of the starting moons.

8. cmguardia

cmguardia Captain

I still can't play.
    The last attempt crashes when starting the new game. He didn't make it to the minute of play.
    With the AMD Adrenalin software installed, I monitor the parameters of both the processor and the GPU and none of them exceed 68° when the computer freezes. They also do not exceed the power measurements to say that the source lacks power since in the same way I was monitoring other games that demand more and reach higher values without problems.
    It is not a component problem.

9. imlarry425

imlarry425 Captain

Have you tried running the application with Task Manager running in the performance tab to see if you are being throttled by any of the major resources? I couldn't download your Dx diagnostics to see, but how much memory do you have on the machine? Since the problem happened after the Win10 update (uses more mem), the errors are happening on buffer allocations, and having one additional application seems to force the problem my suspicion would be that your non-paged pool is exhausted.

cmguardia likes this.
  10. cmguardia

cmguardia Captain

The computer has 16GB of Ram. The task manager marks 33% usage when starting Empyrion and jumps to 74% when loading a saved game.
    I have 4GB left free.
    I attribute the problem to Windows 10 but it only happens with Empyrion!!
    Last night playing Metro: Last Light, the AMD software started an update in the middle of the game and everything started to be slow, dropping the fps below 10, but at no time did the computer freeze.

My complete setup :
    Mother Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3.
    Ryzen 5 1600 CPU.
    16GB RAM 2400.
    Video Radeon RX 560 with 4GB VRAM GDDR5.

This **** withstood the 42 degree summer in the shade emulating The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild for my daughters, so it should withstand more...

11. treker_ed

treker_ed Ensign

The RX 560 is only just above the minimum specs stated on the steam page (RX550/GTX 1050) coupled with a processor that's 7 years old in specs, with recent engine updates could these be the root of the problems? Other games may not have had updates to the game engines which are causing your issues. The other thing that has not been asked or stated.. SSD or HDD?

Last edited: Mar 26, 2024
    cmguardia likes this.
  12. imlarry425

imlarry425 Captain

That is frustrating. I like squeezing all I can out of a machine/gpu (a small window doesn't bug me- I get seasick easy 8^) but the previous comment (i.e. 7 years in CPU years is pretty old in Moore's law time) may be what's hitting you. Using an older version of the video driver may fix the problem. Not to be an apologist, but these sorts of problems are some of the hardest to track down with so much variation in the field- since the problem results in your machine hanging there isn't (typically) anything that can be derived from the logs.

One thing that might help, on the dev side, would be to have a configurable watchdog timer that the end user could enable. This means it doesn't hit unless the dev tells you to enable it. These sorts of thing look for idle time on the main thread or expect to get reset by the main thread as part of normal processing ... this lets you trigger a dump because something you don't ever want to see happens ... basically a "blue screen of death" sorts of thing.

var memoryDumper = new MemoryDumper();
    string processName = Process.GetCurrentProcess().ProcessName;
    string dumpFileName = memoryDumper.Dump(processName);

cmguardia likes this.
  13. cmguardia

cmguardia Captain

SSD 1TB and SSD 500GB
    Yes, it is true that it is an old machine.
    Every time I try to update there are more important things for immediate expense :(
    In the same way, as I mentioned before, I can run No Man's Sky without dramas, before the update to win 10 I had no problems with Empyrion (latest update)... And I have not received a blue screen in this installation...
    Yes, I know that it may be that the motherboard may have a problem with Win10, which is why the bios and the rest were updated.
    Well, nothing, that's all I have until I can level up the poor old PC.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2024
  14. treker_ed

treker_ed Ensign

Sadly I have a feeling that the age of the PC is the root problem... Whilst you have updated bios etc, the root is that the PC is still fairly old in computing terms. In the last 12 months, I have updated my own PC from an AM4 system to an AM5 system. the previous system was built 9 years ago, with various updates to drives - changed from HDD to SSD and GPU along the way. Sadly, the motherboard developed an unrepairable fault, and so had to be changed - so I decided to completely update the whole system at that point. But... because it was a highish specced rig to begin with, it had no problems running most games at high fidelity up-to to the point it was swapped out.
    The reason the devs cannot reproduce the issue, is that they do not have the same system as yourself, your problems with running this game are tied to the age of your hardware. Yes you can run NMS, but that uses a completely different engine, so will not necessarily use the same coding callouts to your GPU or coding to your CPU as EGS. Maybe time to bite the bullet and update your rig!

cmguardia likes this.
  15. El Queso

El Queso Ensign

It's a shame you were told your old equipment is the problem for this. I have 64 GB RAM, 12th-gen i9 processor, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 (perhaps not the best and newest, but within specs I believe). Running on Windows 11. I used to run it on older equipment with 16 GB RAM and never had this problem.

But for the last few months the game has become unplayable. I keep coming back to see if they have fixed it, but apparently not. I can go hours without and issue, or it can lock up on me every time I reboot, restart the game and reconnect, within a minute or two. I've lowered game settings all the way , I've tried Windowed, Full Screen. I've reinstalled. Reinstalled to different locations. I've shut down all unnecessary processes before starting the game - nothing makes a difference.

This is the ONLY application (game or otherwise) with which I have problems. Vanilla, RE, etc. This is an Empyrion (or, I suppose, could be Unity) issue, and it's too bad because even with all its other faults, I love the game, but I can't play it any more. I found this thread looking for (YET AGAIN) a fix for this issue.

Myrmidon likes this.