Custom Playfields by Vexray

Discussion in 'Planets & Playfields' started by Vexray, Jul 17, 2016.

1. lalan47

lalan47 Ensign

Ok thanks now i need to find a way to have ressource on the vexray planets

2. Sigerk

Sigerk Ensign

Hi. I relatively new to this game. I rented a server via Nitrado and want to add planets to an existing multiplayer game. I've tried a lot but I can't seem to figure it out. I'll try to explain what I've done so far. Probably some noob mistakes were made, I never did anything as keep a server before, have no experience with it at all and get by on internet tuorials for it.

So, downloaded the server zip files and then replaced and added all the folders from the templates folder to this folder on the server: empyrion>saves>games>(savegamename)>templates.
    Then I replaced the sectors yaml here: empyrion>saves>games>(savegamename)>sectors.

I have backed up everything of course. After doing all that the server wouldn't load. Reverting back to the backup I was able to start my original game just fine. What am I doing wrong here? I can upload screens of the server files if that helps.

Thanks in advance :)

3. XeroTerragoth

XeroTerragoth Captain

I had the same issue while working on my own custom playfield (though I have yet to tap any of the resources vexray was kind enough to supply to the community personally). Are you looking at the planets in creative mode? Creative mode seems to use those files in the folder you referred to, but it should still properly generate and render the correct map once you load the game in SP mode. Then u can take those new files and copy them into the playefield folder so that it uses that map instead while you're in creative.

I think you can even use the base "123456789" seed to generate the map file using the seed that creative uses (There's a section in the playfield where you can force it to use a particular seed).

4. XeroTerragoth

XeroTerragoth Captain

Meh...if you jack the game up somehow, you can always "Verify the Integrity of the Game cache" or whatever via steam>library>EGS>properties>local files. Or you could copy the content folder and just rename it to Content_Old or just simply _Content and EGS will ignore it in the interim until you decide to either restore the folder using said backup or delete it.

5. DosMan

DosMan Ensign

Thank you very much XeroTerragoth, that was it exactly I was using creative mode to do my testing while editing playfields and they were not working properly there, I got everything working now.

greatly appreciate your reply :D

6. XeroTerragoth

XeroTerragoth Captain

More than happy to be of assistance. Most of what I've learned about custom playfields/planets is from trial and error (though I've had to do quite a few google searches to figure out what various error messages meant). I tried to put all of the info I managed to obtain into a single tutorial video on my YouTube channel and share it with the community here - even if the video is a bit long...lol :oops:

7. MRHootie [NO]

MRHootie [NO] Ensign

after installed this pack. i have loads of problems whit the server. getting: host is not reachable- game folder do not exist. crashing all the time. not stabile at all

8. StoneLegion

StoneLegion Captain

@Vexray
    Thanks for this a lot. I'm going start using this on my server. Have you stopped updating this or do you have plans to continue working on this?

9. dhara

dhara Ensign

Hello, I love your planets Vexray. I had no trouble adding the ones that are already in your sector file, but I can't figure out if I have this one correct:

- Coordinates: [ -30, 35, -60 ]
    Color: "0.04, 0.3, 0.37"
    Icon: "Circle"
    Playfields:
    - [ "0, 0, 0", "Seranis Orbit", SpaceAsteroidFieldRing ]
    - [ "0, 0, 0", Seranis, Seranis ]

Is this correct?

Thanks for your help :)

10. StoneLegion

StoneLegion Captain

Just a warning a lot of the playefields are out dated.

I noticed a lot of the starting planets are quite hard to start on even harder on the ones that say they have lots of hostel mobs because they seem to have next to none. Also a lot of them? Maybe all of them? Don't seem to have stone so you kind get screwed on expanding my farming without stone. There is also very little on some of them of seaweed so even more trouble sadly.

There was quite a few issues starting on them. I suggest replacing the current planets overtop of @Vexray 's version and then enable akua start and start from there to have the least headaches.

11. joemorin73

joemorin73 Captain

I've updated my collection of Vexray planets to be compatible with the current game stage. If Vexray is stopping support, I can upload the updated versions I have.

XeroTerragoth likes this.
  12. StoneLegion

StoneLegion Captain

What kind of changes did you make? You have any sort of change log? I don't mind editing myself if I can figure out what needs to be done but that is a bit of a pain in the butt if someone had done all that :)

13. joemorin73

joemorin73 Captain

Biggest issue I had were the NPCs. Some of the older files were using names that were no longer supported.

TalonGuardians --> TalonGuardianHerd
    Raptors --> RaptorHerd
    CaveWormsGrey --> CaveWormGreyHerd

I also recalled Vulca missing a layer that caused you to fall through the ground into an empty void:
    Code:
    MainBiome:                             
        Textures:
            - [ SandBeach, 1 ]                 
            - [ Bedrock, 2 ]    
    should be changed to:

Code:
    MainBiome:                             
        Textures:
            - [ SandBeach, 1 ]
            - [ RockBrown01, 0 ]
            - [ Bedrock, 2 ]    
    Those are the initial problems I can remember how to fix.

There are also references to "LocalEffect:" in the file. This tag is no longer used and has been replaced with "SpecialEffectsLocal:" and "SpecialEffectsGlobal:". This could take a bit of experimentation to replace it with something that is appropriate artistically.

ZeroX57 and StoneLegion like this.
  14. StoneLegion

StoneLegion Captain

Oh wow thanks for the info. I will start replacing the spawns to start with and then the textures. The special effects though might be a bit out of my league.

15. joemorin73

joemorin73 Captain

Easy solution for special effects, copy the ones from existing original planets. (IE, Akua, Omicron, Masperon, etc.) The originals are updated by the developers.

StoneLegion likes this.
  16. StoneLegion

StoneLegion Captain

Thanks I went and just replaced them via planet types right now did not bother modifying them. I noticed Planet Type: Waterless is not used in vanilla? Is that a legit Planet Type?

There is so many options though for the effects now I love it a lot. I can't wait till Devs or someone else starts pushing out a ton of new planets with all the new features :)

17. joemorin73

joemorin73 Captain

Planet Type: is an unimplemented field. It may have been used originally, or it is present for future development. You can change it to "Cute Puppies" and it won't affect it. The only one that matters for now is:

Code:
    Terrain:
        Name: <type>
    This references which DLL it should call for terrain information.

StoneLegion likes this.
  18. ZeroX57

ZeroX57 Ensign

@joemorin73

It'd be helpful if you could do that because I seem to be getting errors after adding a few playfields. So far the only ones that worked for me is Seranis while the rest won't work and I kept on getting errors when loading my save.

By the way just a quick question, will I be able to add the custom POI into my existing save or it won't appear until I start a new world? Because i've progressed quite far in the game and it would be frustrating if I have to redo everything all over again :/

19. joemorin73

joemorin73 Captain

I'll see about posting an update tonight. Your comment does remind me that the Vexray planets do require his custom POIs to be installed. Make sure they are installed.

Your custom POIs should work, as long as they are added correctly to your prefab folder and are referenced in a template.

20. ZeroX57

ZeroX57 Ensign

Thanks mate! Because there was a guide on wiki which said that the custom POIs will only appear on a new world and will not appear on your existing save file.