Custom scenario caching

Discussion in 'The Hangar Bay' started by zaphodikus, Jul 23, 2022.

1. zaphodikus

zaphodikus Captain

Any good reason why custom scenarios all load at application start and not when we open the scenario menu?
    Hate having to restart the app just to edit a scenario, is there a faster way to verify scenario changes that I don't know about?

2. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

I'm not sure what you mean.
    Scenarios are partially loaded when you press on them in the menu (starting planets, description, etc). Then fully loaded when you load into them.
    For most changes you can simply reload the save game.
    Some changes can be done in a live test game.

But remember if you ever change scenarios or servers then a full client restart is needed.

zaphodikus likes this.
  3. zaphodikus

zaphodikus Captain

True Ravien.
    I mean the program takes about 15 seconds from cold to start to the menu and 5 seconds after that. But I'm just wondering about the architectural choices that got us here. For example when I stopped playing EGS for 6 months I came back to find a the load of old savegames were slowing down the application load time. I deleted all my old saves because they were not loadable anyway, but it's strange design decisions that break things at scale that I am a bit puzzled by.

I used to have a slower computer, so that 5 seconds to get to the menu used to be a lot longer for me before, its a real barrier, even if it makes sense to be that way.

4. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

I'm still not sure what you mean. Like I said, scenarios aren't fully loaded until you actually start them up.

5. zaphodikus

zaphodikus Captain

Ahh, so just the scenario name and headline/preview bits get loaded at start. That did cause me some confusion because the separation of what is and is not loaded when was not too obvious to me. So the preview image at least gets loaded and does not reload, when I had really expected it to.

Another little experiment to run.