Custom scenario escape pod items

Discussion in 'The Hangar Bay' started by zaphodikus, Jul 23, 2022.

1. zaphodikus

zaphodikus Captain

containers.ecf says that

## ESCAPE POD - new start
    { +Container Id: 35
    Count: 1
    Size: "8,4"
    SfxOpen: UseActions/KEYUnlockingMetalDoor(mono)
    SfxClose: UseActions/KEYUnlockingMetalDoor(mono)
    { Child Items
    Group_0: StartingEquipment_NewStart
    }
    }

Is a container - but the pod as far I know is no longer a container is it and I'm just missing something big and obvious? Was this item removed or just disabled?

When I modify LootGroups.ecf in a custom scenario, it's not possible to change the starting items dropped (changes have no effect on items dropped). I'm missing some info's here on changes in the last year, and not seen anyone writing up the changes lately, hints appreciated.

2. zaphodikus

zaphodikus Captain

okay - so as usual I have to give my own answers. The configuration moved for some really crazy reason into the playfields, and you have to copy-paste the config into the playfield static for every single starter world. I'm a bit puzzled by this copy-paste decision, it's been the harbinger of many failed software projects to duplicate data. But there you have it.
    I'm hopeing the devs come up with a way to inherit the values or dereference them.

3. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

Different planets need different starting equipment.

4. zaphodikus

zaphodikus Captain

Yeah, that did occur to me, after I wrote that crazy statement as the obvious requirement driven reason. What was not clear was why the obsoleted data was not marked as obsolete in the files, other unused elements are marked with comments, but these got forgotten for some reason.

I would have liked for this to be less copy-pasta to be honest, XML would ultimately have made my life a lot easier when it comes to copy-paste, so the move to YAML does actually make this easier for me to automate. I'll take this as a win from the YAML perspective. It keeps getting harder to make game changes with each version, I hope at some point this trend reverses a bit more.

5. zaphodikus

zaphodikus Captain

I'm looking at blocksconfig.ecf and item RCSBlockEscapePod has a setting of torque 6
    but changing the torque has no effect on the pod steerability at all. I'm missing something else here I wonder?

6. TwitchyJ

TwitchyJ Commander

If it is able to be steered or not is defined in each individual starter playfield files.
    All of the starter moon playfields in the default scenario has it deactivated.

They can be set up to allow steering, or to disallow it and force it to a preset coordinate (current behavior).

7. zaphodikus

zaphodikus Captain

Got escape pod steering working again on all 4 starts. Will write it up properly in my guide today. I'm now trying to disable the damn PDA script that pops up all of the time with mission scripts that trigger just as you are about to be eaten by a raptor. It's going to be a long long day. Are there any up to date notes on the mission scripting engine?

(I wish the User Interface had been less intrusively designed to prevent marines getting distracted by the PDA while in combat.)

8. zaphodikus

zaphodikus Captain

Demo of it all working.

Workshop link in the youtube description.