Fixed CV jumps up 50m when touching down [7798]

Discussion in 'Fixed (Read Only)' started by logarou -=bzh=-, Feb 5, 2021.

1. logarou -=bzh=-

logarou -=bzh=- Ensign

when I put down my CV it bounces on the ground and goes back up to a hundred meters high. I retry the same thing in the same place and it is the same problem, I am on a desert planet and I land on the sand.

2. Pantera

Pantera Administrator Staff Member

• Developer
  3. Thor'sHammer

Thor'sHammer Commander

Build: 1.4.3259 (I did not see it happen on 1.3. <mostrecent>)
    Mode: SP

SERVER NAME:
    SEED-ID:

If applicable:
    MODIFIED PLAYFIELDS: Not that I'm aware of

Reproducibility: Always
    Severity: Minor
    Type: CV Landing

Summary: Landing CV on Mare (mountains) causes ship to jump up 50m in a 'ping-pong' manner.

Description: Landing on Ishrymad in Tarro Gamma, ship touches down then 'teleports' back up 50m. Doesn't "move up", it disappears and reappears 50m or so higher. Moving ship's location a couple meters allows a proper landing.

Steps to Reproduce: Land on a mountain top. I suspect it's when the Landing gear do not touch and the ground touches the vehicle. The save game below is in the right spot, you may have to micro move the ship.

Tried to reproduce with SV but it's the Dart and it's so small I can't cause it not to deploy Landing Gear properly.
    EDIT: I did however notice that the SV behaved oddly. If it got tilted it would slide down a hillside like a hovercraft. I'm using the standard Dart with a single S thruster on the sides, virtually nothing loaded. Planet is 1.02G, doesn't seem like that would cause it to do that ... Two screenshots added below.

I repaired Local Files on Steam and cleared the Cache.
    Screenshots, Crash Logs, any other Relevant Information or Download links:

Ship: Kriel-Accipiter
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2139514053&searchtext=KRIEL

Save Game: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1miTMui6gHez5FLmj0MRPeZs-UIbzmwNZ?usp=sharing

Log File: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1qskq1wVyk3L5Y1PP_a3mUPSAZx5swCxW?usp=sharing

SV & Planet: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1evAcQJxnzj9DC7k6w2s3aWOn2JVnDA_w/view?usp=sharing
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/16BkqzRTNM-sTHrsVdGerUT_uOjFSue1k/view?usp=sharing
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1DDB1OXhEBjiv3TvoJLPIsSo9AubkyQVw/view?usp=sharing

Last edited: Feb 5, 2021
  4. Pantera

• Developer
    Germanicus and Kaloriaa like this.
  5. Thor'sHammer

Thor'sHammer Commander

Huh?? {He says in his MOST intelligent voice}
    Ah ... no. I'm really not familiar with the games' file structures.

Here's a new save from today. Just ran into the problem again. I'll save it with the ship doing it's jack in the box routine.

I'm about to disassemble my old CV for the parts. Flew it to space then took my SV down to take the new CV up for the job (has tool turret). As I approached the new CV, which had been parked fine on the ground when I left, it was bouncing up and down 50m or so.

I managed to get under it with the SV, transferred to board it, and turned on the thrusters. It stopped bouncing and I docked the SV in it.

When I tried to land it bounced. I moved forward a few meters and it landed... I'll try moving back and save it with the bounce for you.
    Got it. Either turn off the thrusters (try 1st) or land. It will bounce back up. If thrusters are off it cycles, jumping up then touching down then back up again. Fun to watch, not fun to play with ... LOL.

The current Save folder does have a .ply in the players folder, not sure what happened there earlier, I just dragged the Game folder to Google Drive then linked it here. Update: When uploading this time I saw the error occur on the .ply fine. Apparently I uploaded while still running the game (DUH!). Sorry! I'm pretty embarrassed since I FIX PC's .... I know better.

New Save: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1a78ClYXBLqtO1bSC0_uVraX9zxVViVCh?usp=sharing

6. Thor'sHammer

Thor'sHammer Commander

Further info - I had to go back a half hour, and I found when I approached my CV while in my SV it suddenly started the bounce game.

I've uploaded a new save. You're in the SV, airborne, aimed at the CV which is 1Km straight ahead. You can clearly see it on the ground not moving. As you approach you'll see it start bouncing up & down, long before you get to it. Some SV / CV collision detection thing??

Edit: Save Link: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1E_QKon2TjFKOlWKNwPGQ59vWJCp3t5lG?usp=sharing

Edit 2: Seems to happen @ 170m from CV. If you back away to 180m it stops. I tried landing SV and approaching on foot. SAME behavior both on foot and in the air in a SV. Let me know if you need anything :) I'm a Tech, like you I hate unsolved mysteries.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2021
  7. kronologic

kronologic Ensign

Independant reproduction - MP server, observed for 30 minutes. 'Fixed' by having all players log out or exit the playfield, reloading the playfield and it stopped..... for 2 minutes after login then began to repeat. It seems to be more of a Voxel / grid interation as it happens regardless of what vessel you are in.

8. Pantera

• Developer
  9. Thor'sHammer

Thor'sHammer Commander

My pleasure. It's wonderful to have such responsive Devs, you 'guys' rock! When I told my Wife that you'd responded to my issue she said "WHAT! Already??!!? Wow they're on the ball."

I have to agree. :)

BTW - if it helps the thought process, I was able to board the bouncing ship by waiting for it to hit the ground then deployed my drone which I knew would trigger the aft hanger door. When it activated the bouncing stopped and I was able to board normally.

@kronologic - Thanks for the help! Good job of troubleshooting.

Pantera likes this.
  10. Nikita70

Nikita70 Ensign

I've experienced this "feature" as well and you can see it happening in a Miketanic's video at 29:04
    ()

11. RedScourge

RedScourge Commander

I wonder if this rubber-banding is related to the code that was put into the game a long while back to detect when a player had fallen through the world and then put them back on the terrain surface again. I have only noticed this happen in a CV on uneven usually convex terrain. I think the collision detection between the ship and the ground is off (more than what was usual before v1.4 I mean), the game thinks your ship is falling underground, calculates how much higher to place your ship based on when it detected the fall and how long it has been going on for, then adds to your altitude, except since your ship did not actually fall through the terrain, the result is it puts the ship a fair distance into the air.

Thor'sHammer likes this.
  12. Thor'sHammer

Thor'sHammer Commander

I'm of the same mind. It's obvious collision detection and ONLY happens on very uneven ground. The "move it a couple meters and it stops" kinda gives it away.

I think this isn't going to be an easy one to fix. Pretty complex conditions.

13. Pantera

• Developer
    A fix for this is now available on the experimental branch as of B3263.

Thor'sHammer likes this.
  14. Thor'sHammer

Thor'sHammer Commander

Thanks! I'll wait until it's a standard release, it was just a bother on one Biome on one planet and, for me at least, just an annoyance. But look forward to checking it out next public release!
    Cheers!