DEV Q&A LiveStream questions

Discussion in 'Media - Screenshots, Videos, Streams!' started by spanj, Feb 6, 2020.

1. Kumbaya

Kumbaya Lieutenant

Hello, please tell me, could you please make a small excerpt from this interview about what will happen in the 12th alpha and about his answers to questions. it's hard to watch all three hours. If you manage to do this, thank you very much.

2. Germanicus

Germanicus Rear Admiral

I believe @Hummel-o-War promised to put something up on the Forum within the next week or so

Ephoie and Sofianinho like this.
  3. Hummel-o-War

Hummel-o-War Administrator Staff Member Community Manager

• Developer
    Jep, i'll compile a blog post on the upoming A12 features the next days :)

Ephoie, ravien_ff, Kumbaya and 4 others like this.
  4. spanj

spanj Captain

Video coming on Monday with summary information too

Ephoie, ravien_ff, Kumbaya and 4 others like this.
  5. Kumbaya

Kumbaya Lieutenant

could you give a link to your blog?

6. Taelyn

Taelyn Guest

http://empyriongame.com

Its not done yet. Guess it will be a post here aswell

Ephoie likes this.
  7. RazzleWin

RazzleWin Rear Admiral

Nice! I hadn't been to that site in awhile now. Right last time was when I bought the game.:eek:
    It's had a nice face left!:D

Germanicus likes this.
  8. Hummel-o-War

Hummel-o-War Administrator Staff Member Community Manager

• Developer
    I am a bit behind schedule. Will take care tomorrow or wednesday (sry for delay)

Ephoie and Germanicus like this.
  9. Germanicus

Germanicus Rear Admiral

Here - >

Ephoie, Sofianinho, ravien_ff and 2 others like this.
  10. Kumbaya

Kumbaya Lieutenant

amazing news, we will wait for April with impatience

Spanj, thank you very much

Ephoie and spanj like this.
  11. Myrmidon

Myrmidon Rear Admiral

"Wait what? We have to wait till April? "

26437fac-aa1d-4c00-a81c-d289312a4463.png

Just kidding.....It is better to take a requiered time to polish next update. No rush. :)

Ephoie likes this.
  12. Scoob

Scoob Rear Admiral

Q&A was good, thanks to all involved making that happen. Looking forward to A12 and a fresh start, a little burnt out at the mo lol.

One thing that did surprise me is that the game's sound wasn't commented on. As we all know, the sound is currently "wrong" in regards to source and direction. I.e. there's a Sentry Turret firing to your right yet the sound doesn't come from that direction. I've noticed myself that the sound - certainly on my Bases and CV's - seems to come from where the Core is placed, which is a bit weird.

Unsure whether this is a Unity thing or not, but it does make POI exploration MUCH trickier than it should be as all the audio cues are off. I know Spanj has commented on this numerous times in his videos, and plenty of us have spoken about it on these Forums.

I know of course that the Q&A has been and gone, so this question is too late - though I'm still surprised no one brought it up, sadly I was unable to watch it live myself - but it'd be nice to get an update on when a sound overhaul might happen. I do rely a lot on audio cues in other games - well, ones that do it well - and having sounds appearing to source from in front of you, when in fact that nasty is right behind you is only good for jump scares, not actual gameplay lol.

Thanks again for the Q&A :)

Scoob.

Supay, Ephoie, spanj and 2 others like this.
  13. Kumbaya

Kumbaya Lieutenant

The sound in the game is an interesting topic. I would suggest implementing the principle that sound does not propagate in a vacuum, and is felt tactilely, through the soles, touches, very deafly. Firstly, it works very well for the atmosphere of the game, and secondly, it allows you to check rooms without oxygen by ear, without having to look at the icons. If this feature is implemented, I will be happy.

spanj and Mobius like this.
  14. Mobius

Mobius Captain

From an audio production standpoint, this wouldn't be too hard to do. You could simply create a certain type of EQ that could be applied to sounds that you hear in space environments. The hard/tedious part would be the programming side of it :D

Supay, Hummel-o-War, Ephoie and 2 others like this.
  15. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

Space Engineers has a realistic/arcade sound toggle so you can choose how you want it to be. If it's set to realistic, space sounds a lot different.

16. Vermillion

Vermillion Rear Admiral

POI can be set to play music when you're standing on it (e.g. on a trade station). Surely the same check can be used for determining sound effects.

Ephoie likes this.
  17. Myrmidon

Myrmidon Rear Admiral

We need a random play juckbox. I have your soundcloud page open in the background set on random play. I have enough RAM but what about players with less? An internal juckbox player would help.

Mobius, Ephoie and Germanicus like this.
  18. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

Need dynamic or at least multiple soundtracks for playfields too so you don't hear the same track over and over. :D

Mobius, Ephoie and Germanicus like this.
  19. Germanicus

Germanicus Rear Admiral

Ah, well, I am listening, while Playing or constructing, to music from other games or movies, mostly location orientated. Such as "Lawrence of Arabia" while staying on my Desert Planet. Also to Homeworld-Deserts of Kharak. Or SWTOR or Subnautica while I am in Space.

ravien_ff and Ephoie like this.
  20. spanj

spanj Captain

Sound is a great topic to raise with the devs, sorry I neglected to think of it at the time.
    Those sound throwing sentry turrets are a nightmare, especially in larger rooms with lots of deco, you can't see them and you can't use sound to hone in on them so you're just getting shot from somewhere, very frustrating, especially if you're on low health.

I would say that the sound effects etc all need a good overhaul at some point, not necessarily as high priority as fixing directional sound effects but it would be good to get some nicer sound effects for the weapons, engines and general atmospheric background noise at some point. The night time background atmosphere sound has wolves howling but there are no wolves in the game (Eleon please add wolves) also monkey noises in the forest but no monkeys in the game (Eleon please add monkeys).

One day I hope that gatt cannons and turrets sound more like the main cannon on an A10 Warthog. For now it sounds more like printer.

Supay, ravien_ff, PYROHYDRA and 4 others like this.