DEV BLOG Empyrion Galactic Survival: Leaving Alpha & Early Access

Discussion in 'News & Announcements' started by Hummel-o-War, Jul 16, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kazumibot

Kazumibot Ensign

...With 1.0 this Game will die...R.I.P....

2. RazzleWin

RazzleWin Rear Admiral

Maybe I'm still waiting for that big red arrow to point to the explanation, about mass limits speed in space. I have yet to see any explanation. :(

As to the merging blocks idea, the dev's should have gone with the idea and already added it. Baking is nothing new and it would have optimized many aspects of the game. At least in my option. But then I'm just one voice in the many :)

Bollen, Inappropriate and Brimstone like this.
  3. Inappropriate

Inappropriate Captain

I remember that one. It was an interesting idea just not sure how piratical it would have been. The process of converting to/from voxel structures would tend to be expensive and would not reduce vertex, and by extension, triangle count due to the face culling already being done. However, depending on implementation, it might reduce the number of draw() calls substantially. I guess it really depends on where the performance bottle neck is and only the devs would have that data. Its an interesting problem.

Incorrect. Badly written scripts will preform badly just like badly written low level code. Here is an example of badly written code:
    Code:
    // Counting bits set (naive way)
    unsigned int v; // count the number of bits set in v
    unsigned int c; // c accumulates the total bits set in v

for (c = 0; v; v >>= 1)
    {
      c += v & 1;
    }

The naive approach requires one iteration per bit, until no more bits are set. So on a 32-bit word with only the high set, it will go through 32 iterations.

[On the other hand] the "best" method for counting bits in a 32-bit integer v is the following:
    Code:
    unsigned int v; // count the number of bits set in v
    unsigned int c; // c accumulates the total bits set in v

v = v - ((v >> 1) & 0x55555555);                    // reuse input as temporary
    v = (v & 0x33333333) + ((v >> 2) & 0x33333333);     // temp
    c = ((v + (v >> 4) & 0xF0F0F0F) * 0x1010101) >> 24; // count

The best bit counting method takes only 12 operations, which is the same as the lookup-table method, but avoids the memory and potential cache misses of a table. It is a hybrid between the purely parallel method [above] and the [earlier] methods using multiplies (in the section on counting bits with 64-bit instructions), though it doesn't use 64-bit instructions. The counts of bits set in the bytes is done in parallel, and the sum total of the bits set in the bytes is computed by multiplying by 0x1010101 and shifting right 24 bits.

Note that the above code has been copied verbatim with comments intact form here. I made extensive use of these while working an a Skyrim mod that allowed you to wear clothing under armor via virtual equipment slots. The scripts HAD to be efficient or they would bring Papyrus (the script VM) to it knees and cause stack dumps. I eventually abandoned the project because the threaded nature of Papyrus was giving me problems and I was having difficulties getting NPCs to remember what they should be wearing after being unloaded by the game. But the actual equipment slot management scripting worked well and was efficient enough to work under normal play condition with a moderately heavily modded game. Fun fact: this mod was based on an earlier Oblivion mod I did. The first iteration of the mod had some fully functional underwear stashed in a hollowed out rock (or was it a tree stump?) in the middle of nowhere. Those were the days...

Last edited: Jul 18, 2020
    sloe likes this.
  4. brecers

brecers Lieutenant

1120,8 часов посвящено игре ...

Мне искренне жаль разработчиков ... Идея была интересной, но реализация самой игры, увы ... Игра оказалась невыносимой задачей (нехватка средств, программистов и элементарного управления). Все это привело к тому, что мы столкнулись. Очень жаль! Все мои надежды рухнули ...

Может быть, разработчики все-таки объяснят свое решение .... Но, увы, они просто молчат.

Inappropriate and Germanicus like this.
  5. Germanicus

Germanicus Rear Admiral

Yes, undermanned, and maybe, also low on budget -not that speed would have made a critical difference, but twice the numbers may have lead to less distractions for the Programmers by hunting Bugs.

brecers likes this.
  6. Germanicus

Germanicus Rear Admiral

Not the Devs will have to explain BUT THE FOUNDERS :rolleyes:- they have pushed forward (instead of an A13 or 14):(

7. Tiv

Tiv Lieutenant

I get the point that early access seems fishy to a lot of potential new players. But as many already said, the Game and especially Multiplayer is just not ready for this. Not features and game mechanics. They are already in and O.K.ish enough to make Empyrion a good game.

For me, Empyrion needs better Sync and Animations. It has to run smooth with as many players per playfield as possible. And moving players in moving vessels. There are other Singleplayer-Games wich are better. Empyrion COULD shine in Multiplayer. But not like this.

8. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

Go read the original threads on CPU. Read the last pages of the actual "CPU and Flight System" feedback thread.

Conversion only happens once, like explained in the "merge block" thread. Right now, at each game tick, each block is a potential target for damage and collision, and even blocks not rendered still get splash damage...

You're changing the premiss. Bad code is bad, be it "scripted" or "compiled" language, but don't try to make me swallow that for identical functions scripts are faster than compiled code. Tell me when they make a working version of Windows in Python or Lua.

Sofianinho and Germanicus like this.
  9. runlykhel

runlykhel Captain

(This post was moved from another thread not as relevant as this one.)

With the game at this state I hope the Aug 5th update has a lot of real optimization, and some changes to flight model and CPU that have been mentioned in forums to the point of saturation.
    I'm not a big fan of optimization by limitation, as we've been getting.

Also skipping Beta into 1.0 seems a little like seeking a monetary push; as well as showing signs some other games have shown before fading into the past.

I hope I'm proven wrong because with CPU, WV, turned off, and it would be nice to have an on/off switch for diseases, not injuries (have to pay the price for stupidity) as an example one feature I like in Ark is the disease switch, this game can be a lot of fun.

Also to clarify what moving from early access means according to steam here is a quote from their site;
    https://partner.steamgames.com/doc/store/earlyaccess

"Note: If your product is no longer marked as Early Access, the expectation from customers will be that your product is stable and delivers a complete experience."

Unlike other veteran players I only have 3k+ hours in this game and still see a lot of Beta like problems, and the Idea that future update/releases still effecting saved games does not bode well for a 1.0 release.

Also if true that the founders are pushing to get the game out of early access not the developers then I hope they have funds enough to ride out the coming review back lash.

10. Sofianinho

Sofianinho Captain

It does thank you teacher, but the point was it's not like they made half a dozen broken games, as a first game (as a studio, not for individual devs) it's quite an achivement.
    Because I bet you already got your money's worth of the first game, just like all the people who racked up thousands of hours of gameplay in this questionable game
    So we're trying to establish if the game is finished or not but we don't care about what the scope was, alright ...
    Good is subjective my friend, and no matter how good you think your work is, someone will point out all the flaws and shortcomings in it, ignore all your accomplishements and deem you incompetent and lacking "creativity".
    Minecraft has features EGS doesn't have, and EGS has features MC doesn't have, And MC and EGS have features Star Citizen doesn't have, do you see where we're going with this, no game has it all, all of them have strong and weak points, otherwise there would only be one game to rule them all.
    I know what they are, I was asking what the issue with LODs in EGS was.
    Alright fair enough, if you say so.

Ok then why does it matter if they stay in alpha or not ? if they're so incompetent and everything they do is bad then they'll only screw the game even more, so what you're saying is: you guys are grossly incompetent and everything you do is trash but keep doing it ! don't you stop ? It doesn't make any sense.

11. Supay

Supay Captain

What is the real reason for this sudden push to 1.0?

I hear tons of people responding who generally have zero idea. The devs know why and if they can't explain why then it is clear things aren't going as plan and the idea of updates is a joke. Really most of the response on here is else trying to cover the devs move or asking why or praying the game doesn't fall dead. 1.0 is for games that have core mechanics in it and tons of those are missing. 1.0 games generally you can get an update and still play your old save.

*Note* Also one of the responses I read talked about old games? You know not ONE GAME made now days is held to that kind of quality because once the game was put on cartridge?? there were no more updates, so they had insane quality control done before release. Nothing is made that way these days even major games aren't because of patches.

Released games can be reviewed and this game is nowhere near clear and clean for that and by their history isn't going to be within this time frame. I think you all have done well, but this kind of move is bullshit and I'm calling you on it.

Also, funny folks are ignoring key points because they are so much a fan they not seeing clearly. Some of their dev team didn't even know about this choice until the day of? How is that not a concern for any of you?

Inappropriate likes this.
  12. Inappropriate

Inappropriate Captain

Look, if you want to be an apologist for bad behavior then you do you. I'm not going to continue this based on an insane hypothetical.

From what I understand Unity does compile its scripts? Before posting I did a quick google search and most of what I found seems to suggest this but results were somewhat conflicted. I get the impression most people asking about this didn't know what they were asking and most people answering didn't know what they were taking about. I'm honestly not interested enough to look further into this. Still, it would be kind of silly to build a game engine that functioned entirely on runtime sting parsing. Performance aside, packaging uncompiled source code with your game would just be asking people to steal it and build their own knockoff product.

But yes, assuming the the compiled code runs directly on the hardware and not through a VM it will always run faster then scripted languages that always run through a VM.

As I said, its an interesting idea. With a bit of tweaking you could end up with something that works fairly well without the inherent issues of working with voxels. Still not completely sold on the idea though. It all depends on implementation.

On the other hand using a hybrid system where merged structures are used for LOD, admin structures and perhaps a few other "low priority" structures or perhaps anything out of weapons range for the local player is absolutely something I could get behind. The rest, well...Maybe.

13. xerxes86

xerxes86 Commander

Sound very plausible to me.

Supay and brecers like this.
  14. brecers

brecers Lieutenant

It seems to me that all our condemnations are no longer capable of influencing further events. We just whine like offended dogs that have lost their beloved bone. The developers have already decided everything for us! The game is over! If not, then let them at least bother to answer!

15. Spoon

Spoon Captain

This is what I find strange about this. All the posts about the concern about moving to 1.0 and there is no response on this thread from Eleon. It's like they don't care what their fan base think.

Cleff, Israel and Supay like this.
  16. xerxes86

xerxes86 Commander

I have over 4,500 hours playing this game, so I have surely got my money's worth out of it. It is my favorite game. I just wish there was more reason to play after getting an end stage CV. At that point, after a few planets, I get bored. I hope there is end game planned.

A Mueller, eLLe, jlego and 3 others like this.
  17. Germanicus

Germanicus Rear Admiral

Has it ever occurred to you that the Devs might not have had a Word in this Decision?
    That they are only Employees and have to follow the Rules the Owner/Founder lays upon them?

18. Spoon

Spoon Captain

That may be so mate.... We will never know, unless they reply.....

A Mueller, Israel and Supay like this.
  19. Supay

Supay Captain

I'm sure it works that way however what kind of team is it that you ignore other team members on a big choice like this? I keep asking and no one responds to the clear fact that the "FOUNDERS" like an alien entity has given the word and no one shall say **** otherwise. Teayln has always been 100% for this game as he responds and does work and active person within the community. His words, not mine "They made the choice and I just found out this morning" How the hell do you work for a project/team like this and people who founded it DON'T take any feedback from the other members? That is a bad team period. Generally founders or the CEO"s look at the progress and take feedback from both team and players and make a choice based on that. There is none of that in this game.

20. GoldDragon

GoldDragon Captain

Someone (a few pages back, if you can read thru all the vitriol, that is) asked if there is anyone who has more than 1K hours in the game that is pure singleplayer. Well, I have 1412 hours, and have NEVER been on a server.

CPU isn't the devil's spawn the loud people insist (I agree it isn't exactly implemented well, however), it actually is more real-world than most think. Why would you send a heavily armed and armored craft that could take on a moderate-sized military installation solo on a Cargo transport job? The only thing it can do is defend. Fighter craft don't carry cargo.
    And why would you send a Cargo Transport vehicle against said military base? Sure, it could transport much of it back, but it'd have no armor, and likely little weaponry. Sure, you could increase the armor, add more weapons, but it'd loose it's cargo capacity. ANd there ARE vessels that can do both, but they are fully capital class vessels.

M&V is also nice (tho it's implementation is really skewed totally and should be redone). It's totally done on VOLUME. MASS has so little meaning in this that it's rediculous. A normal Human carrying a ton ? This is a good idea that REALLY needs an overhaul.

But why am I bothering? this place is so hostile now that I can't even tolerate it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.