Empyrion Server Creation Tool

Discussion in 'The Hangar Bay' started by TheVisad, Feb 20, 2016.

?

Are you interested in seeing more?

1. Yes

94.3%
  2. No

2.9%
  3. More Features!

2.9%
  1. dtmullican

dtmullican Commander

Currently I'm done with the parsing code for the sectors file and the ability to display/change the data. I'm currently refining the UI for this, which is mostly done. The big issue I'm running into now is trying to parse the playfields and coming up with an intuitive and flexible UI for it.

Delphi is basically modern Pascal. It's pretty much the only high level programming language I've done much in over the years, mostly everything else I've worked in are scripting languages.

2. arg821

arg821 Commander

I just hope there is some private discussions going on behind the scenes with these experienced programmers, because there haven't really been any updates for a while.

It seems like server admins (including myself) are wanting the same thing, and the various "experienced programmers" are able to make something pretty awesome but they're all going in their own directions and trying to put together their own versions of a similar tool? Imagine the quality of product if the programmers were all able to co-operate and release something .... I'm just hoping that something like this would be able to occur.

Andy.

3. Jascha

Jascha Administrator

Yeah that would be really nice. I wouldnt even mind to do an open source project out of this where several could work on. But we have to speak the same language :| and someone has to be willing to do so. Until then I will try to get as far as possible.

:( same problem here.

4. dtmullican

dtmullican Commander

Unfortunately, it's not quite that simple. Imagine 2 people trying to collaborate on a book...but one only knows English, and the other only knows German. To carry the analogy a little further, only one of them is a professional writer, the other is a hobbyist.

I also haven't had a lot of time in the last week or two to do much with mine because of work/life. Hopefully, that will change soon. I'll post updates when I can.

5. MorpheusZero

MorpheusZero Lieutenant

I've been working on something similar as well that is Open Source, which languages are you guys using? I've gone the route of dynamic MVVM in a .NET WPF C# based application that using Theming and other things. I will be saving all user created content in .json files in separate directories and allow the "publishing" of a server that takes all the JSON files, parses back to YAML and creates all the directories and server commands for you for single player or multiplayer. I also have implemented a working auto-update system already, I am currently working on the models to parse out all the game's YAML files right now. I am less than a week or two away from a release-able product with the English localization. I welcome any and all help if anyone has similar projects and wishes to merge, as long as you stick to my data model and overall scope.

(If you aren't a coder and want to help with translating localizations, feel free!)

You can check out what I have and run the project from GitHub here:

https://github.com/MorpheusZero/EmpyrionManagementSuite

It's been about 5 days since I've committed any changes to GitHub, but I've gotten a bit more done since then. I expect to be able to have a usable beta in about a week or so.

dcirilos and Jascha like this.
  6. Citizen

Citizen Ensign

Where is this? I am late to the party, but I brought beer. I am trying to clone something that isn't there and I'm so sad because I was so happy.

7. Jascha

Jascha Administrator

This tool is not existing anymore.
    There are other advanced tools out there though.

8. Citizen

Citizen Ensign

Fortunately, everything that ever existed on the internet most likely still does. I found a fork of the OP's source and have started going over it. There are other tools, but they have a few issues. Namely, they are all closed source that I have found. The few I seem to see mentioned in forums have all been vanished, like almost this one:eek:

I'm looking for an open source utility that is focused on light resource usage. I'll likely focus on the playfield and biome editors and whatnot. Hopefully there will be a Linux version of the server before I get around to touching any of the installation stuff.

Same offer as the OP. If anyone would like to contribute fork away. It's on GitHub under deadpoets repos.

Mortlath, Bocephus666 and Jascha like this.
  9. Citizen

Citizen Ensign

I've looked at Morpheus code in depth, and the MP was incomplete as well as a lot of the other functions. Node.JS has a very shallow learning curve, NPM already has interfaces for SteamCMD and telnet and node.js is fairly simple to deploy for admins. We could incorporate an ssh server into the utility to allow SSH access and mirror the console over ssh instead of telnet. A node.js hosted on the same machine or private network could telnet to the server but allow telnet ports to be blocked from the internet.

I'm also open to just about any other language if we can get a consensus. Should I be discussing this in a new thread?

10. Keith Hovey

Keith Hovey Captain

Why dont you join the discord group for Empyrion Modding!! https://discord.gg/CMxvBTp We do more than just play with the api. Come in and check it out!