Food System

Discussion in 'FAQ & Feedback' started by EleonGameStudios, Jun 26, 2015.

1. Captain_Brian

Captain_Brian Commander

I'd like to see all foods refill more hunger. Right now you need to eat 3 or 4 large steaks to satiate your hunger.

Also, I'd like to see the system changed a bit to give a buffer for health loss.

I think instead of immediately damaging health when hunger gets depleted, it should first damage maximum stamina, basically giving the player a second hunger bar to work through with the downside of decreasing stamina.

Only periodically do the hungry camera animation during this time as not to be too annoying.

Example:

STAGE 1:
    • Hunger depletes hunger bar
    • Any food consumed refills this bar
    • No negative effects to player during this stage
    • When hunger bar is depleted, progress to STAGE 2
    STAGE 2:
    • Hunger now depletes maximum stamina for the stamina bar
    • Any food consumed refills the maximum stamina of the stamina bar until 100%, then progresses back to STAGE 1 and refills the hunger bar
    • No negative effects other than periodic "hungry" camera animation during this stage
    • When the maximum stamina of the stamina bar reaches 0%, then progress to STAGE 3
    STAGE 3
    • Hunger now depletes the health bar
    • Any food consumed immediately progresses back to STAGE 2 and refills the maximum stamina of the stamina bar
    • Hungry camera animation displays constantly during this stage
    • When health reaches 0%, you're dead.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2015
    Nymea likes this.
  2. Hummel-o-War

Hummel-o-War Administrator Staff Member Community Manager

• Developer
    Nice idea. I even would prefer eaten food in stage 2 does not fill the stamina, but directly adds to the food bar. This way, the stamina bar is kind of a last resort, but does not hinder you to get well quickly

3. migisan

migisan Lieutenant

one of the developers really likes cooking :D

One or two little points i don't like.

If you make some of the more complex food, you don't get as much nutrition from it compared to the simpler recipies for each of the ingredients. I want a reward for the more complex work ;)

Food should be stackable. I know that is hard becaues each of the items has its own perish timer. However, you should be able to stack food where the delta is very small, like when it comes out of the cooking machine by mass-processing it.

4. Eviscerator

Eviscerator Commander

I think hunger depleting hunger then health is fine. You don't need a third buffer. It's a survival game, paying attention to your needs is part of the challenge.

That said, food values and stacking do need a looking at, but I wouldn't hold my breath. It's been brought up since the first days of the pre-alpha.

5. BlueImperial

BlueImperial Lieutenant

I want IceCream... if there is no ice cream by next month.. you'll regret!!! I'll throw a strop! :mad: ROAR!
    (Don't ask... i'm in one of those moods ._.)

6. Eviscerator

Eviscerator Commander

Icecream, made from mulemilk and sugarcane...but what would you use for flavoring? Pearthings? Alien fruits? Kavae beans? Icecream flavors require careful consideration, not something to be rushed!

7. EvilVictor

EvilVictor Ensign

I'd be happy with the ability to configure the rate you burn through "hunger" via a setting for each saved game. For my taste (pun intended) I feel like I spend too much time worrying about food. But we don't all have the same expectations, as evident by this discussion, so having the ability to easily tweak some values of the game will let us all get more of what we want without trying to achieve that impossible point where everybody is happy.

Really this should be done for as many core mechanics as can be reasonably added. Hunger, health, stamina, etc. Bragging rights aside it's still a game and we all have different ideas of what will make it fun.

Nymea and Captain_Brian like this.
  8. Eviscerator

Eviscerator Commander

Hunger is much less of an issue once you get the proper garden setup and can manufacture rationpacks. They stack and keep forever so..yeah, no biggy to eat on the run. However, I can't wait for food to be rebalanced so that the higher-tier foodstuffs like pizza and sandwiches are actually worth making.

9. Captain_Brian

Captain_Brian Commander

The more adjustable settings the better, I like how both Space Engineers and Ark: Survival Evolved any many other survival games allow you to control just about everything via a configuration screen when starting a game. It's a good way to please just about everybody without resorting to mods for everything.

Nymea likes this.
  10. Gary Parkin

Gary Parkin Captain

I love the food system, but a better variety would be interesting. Like crafting in Skyrim, where I combine different foods to see what amount of health, and non-hunger they produce.
    We desperately need Food Stacking. Inventory areas could be larger or be able to be expanded on larger resolutions to see all of them.

11. Gary Parkin

Gary Parkin Captain

I'd also like to be able to remove a plant and replace it w/o having to destroy the block. I'd love to have all my veggies in separate rows. :D

12. Elerium

Elerium Ensign

My biggest peeve and why I dont go deeper into the farming/food right now is the lack of food stacking. Building 20 refridgerators seems a bit wasteful. Otherwise it seems fine although living on salami for weeks in and out should do something bad to your body.
    Maybe some animal husbandry coming up? Capture some dino eggs, raise and feed the dinos and then send them to the abattoir where the Butcherbots await them; "Butcherbot will harvest meat, tra la la la la."

13. Hooster1

Hooster1 Commander

Yes, as you found out, having the grow lights 3 blocks up is too high, they should be 2 blocks high. Also - each light at 2 blocks high will grow 9 squares of plants (3x3 growing pots). You have them much closer than you need.
    I also notices that all of the plants I am growing, I can pick without having to replant, which is different from the introduction video. Yea!

14. Hooster1

Hooster1 Commander

If you use your drill, you can remove the plant. Just don't use the drill by mistake like I did. :-/

15. HeadHunter

HeadHunter Commander

Once you have sufficient magnesium to spare and a water purifier, it's not hard to make Emergency Rations faster than you need to eat them.

Keep an eye out for Egg Plants and Fiber while walking around outdoors, and hunt for meat while you grow Durians, Pearthings and Wheat. A single corn plant will provide you with enough plastic and before you know it, a small farm can accelerate your food production and shelf life dramatically.

I have 8 durian plants, 8 pearthings, 4 wheat and a few corn plants to stockpile plastic. When I go hunting I aim for 12 meat and 4 eggplants, and I naturally tend to find enough fiber during that time. There's 4 days of food that never spoils, so you can carry some around with you, stow it in vehicle lockers, etc.

Any surplus crops are turned into food that I consume while at my base (typically ratatouille thanks to a couple tomato and pumpkin crops)

Eviscerator likes this.
  16. Gary Parkin

Gary Parkin Captain

No don't let your tomatoes rot. Pick some cactus and some other things that you can't do much with and let them lay in there until they rot and then use them. I've yet to figure out what to do with the cactus pieces that look like rippled potato chips when you stick them in the thing.

HeadHunter likes this.
  17. HeadHunter

HeadHunter Commander

Things that are used in no recipes: Spike lemons and corn dogs. However, my go-to choice for creating spoiled food for nutrient solution is eggs. They are all over the place outside and they spoil very fast.

I agree with others who have said never use your food crop to spoil for nutrients. It's too valuable. Always turn half of each harvest into seed until your farm is large enough, and then make a small stock of seeds in case of emergency.

I made the mistake of eating both of my pumpkin plants in the beginning and realized I'd gated myself out of a lot of useful recipes like Ratatouille and canned vegetables. Fortunately I found some more pumpkins growing in an abandoned base.

18. Eredain

Eredain Ensign

All is good. May more types of food but this is not necessary.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2015
  19. Gary Parkin

Gary Parkin Captain

My farm is now 30 blocks. LOL
    Is this Empyron or Farming Simulator.

20. HeadHunter

HeadHunter Commander

You don't have to destroy the block - use the remove tool on the plant, instead (you will need to repair the block a bit afterwards).

I discovered something surprising today. I'd always assumed the fridge halted all spoilage while powered. It does not - it merely slows it dramatically. I had some eggs in there from a very long time ago, and recently I looked in the fridge to discover they had finally gone bad.

Your farm is about the same size as mine. I've got a setup to do three rations and three ratatouille with each harvest.
    [​IMG]