General Feedback

Discussion in 'Multiplayer Meeting Room' started by EleonGameStudios, Nov 16, 2015.

1. Muffinman

Muffinman Commander

Is it a PvP playing field? If so it is fair game. Guns will eventually have ammo anyways, so this sort of thing will lessen. Once base have shields, it will be pointless when ammo might be expensive.

2. Ruhas

Ruhas Commander

How to remove the location of your base on the minimap? I want to make a full PVP, but the problem is in the database on the minimap !! How to fix it????
    Play PVE is not interesting and boring. Take the opportunity to complete the PVP, and that would be on the minimap could not see the enemy's bases.

3. upsetkiller

upsetkiller Commander

wont be pointless if people specifically target bigger bases in groups , risky but rewarding

EDIT: i do hate the fact people run away to PVE fields after wrecking stuff . A mechanism should be introduced that if you wreck something of someone your stuff becomes venerable for a few minutes regardless of playfield

hehehemann likes this.
  4. stimdealer0001

stimdealer0001 Captain

Not sure if this was asked yet...

Does anybody have a script to automatically restart your dedi every x hrs to clear the memory leak? I'm a noob with scripting, and want to be able to automate the restarts, possibly the backups too.

5. SlickRick

SlickRick Lieutenant

there has to be a way to vote to kick players when all they do is hack and grief

stimdealer0001 likes this.
  6. mcgendraft

mcgendraft Ensign

Love the game! What is the best way to set up a dedicated server? I have looked for Linux source code, but I don't see that there is anything available? Can the server be setup in linux and run thru Wine/Mono? What files are required to run a dedicated server? Can you just copy the contents of the 'common' folder to a dedicated machine?
    Thank you in advanced!

7. mcgendraft

mcgendraft Ensign

I am trying to find out if Windows is the only version of a dedicated server, but if its in Windows you may be able to restart the file regularly using Task Scheduler, until you find/create a script.

Shannon Patterson likes this.
  8. piddlefoot

piddlefoot Rear Admiral

Only version is windows atm.

9. stimdealer0001

stimdealer0001 Captain

Thanks. I forgot about task scheduling. However, I need to be able to run 'saveandexit' first in the dedi's putty window...otherwise it'll lose all server's progress when it shuts down. Maybe I'll just wait for linux support, so I can make a shellscript file much easier.

mcgendraft and Shannon Patterson like this.
  10. piddlefoot

piddlefoot Rear Admiral

The dedicated server system saves every 60 seconds, even if you close the server with ''end process tree'' in taskmanager it should still have saved everything right up to 60 seconds before the shut down.

Shannon Patterson likes this.
  11. Shannon Patterson

Shannon Patterson Lieutenant

I externally host my server and they provide that option in the web interface, even allowing you to choose not to restart if people are logged in. There are several 3rd party freeware programs I've found in these forums that also do this, but you have to leave them running on your computer. If you are pretty technical then a scheduled task that logs in via telnet, sends a message or messages' and then restarts would be best. Hope this helps!

stimdealer0001 likes this.
  12. Shannon Patterson

While this is true I've experienced corruption before when closing the server suddenly. Not sure what is happening but my guess is that this happens when it is closed while doing a background save. No idea but the lesson here is make daily backups at least! :)

13. stimdealer0001

stimdealer0001 Captain

Thanks! For now I'm trying one of the 'third party programs' that seems to work fine, and is quite popular.

elinox, u rock: http://empyriononline.com/threads/dedicated-server-tool.3380/

14. Shannon Patterson

That is a cool tool but I found one I like better (just my opinion and the other app is still great)

http://steamcommunity.com/app/383120/discussions/6/485623406958070268/

I hope those in the community that have programming skills will continue to make cool apps like this to help make things even more fun :)

15. Slam Jones

Slam Jones Rear Admiral

So I restarted my server and every player-made structure and vehicle is gone. Except the one I was standing on when I logged out.

Does... this happen often? Is there a way to get the stuff back? And lastly: is there a proper way to restart that won't cause this issue?

16. stimdealer0001

stimdealer0001 Captain

I noticed, when I started using a 3rd party program to "auto-restart" the playfields, that it was actually reverting the playfields to an older saved state, removing any newly placed items in containers, etc. Best way to manage the server is to just 'save and exit' , copy your game folder to a BACKUPS folder you make, then start it back up after all of the processes terminate (in task manager)

17. Alo

Alo Captain

Server - Empyrion Survival Server no. 1 (@LandonGam3r[NL] 's server).

Patch: 5.0 - 5.0.2

Description
    - Since patch 5.0 we (frequent players / faction members) are seeing a dramatic increase on errors like "Connection to server lost".

- Whenever we get the "Connection to server lost" error, changing playfields removes all player structures/asteroids from sight for a while. It often takes +5 minutes for everything to re-appear.

- When I change playfields and press 'B' my location is sometimes shown as a "?" instead of the name of an actual playfield. This is often combined with the "Connection to server lost" error.

- Due to all the errors, the server requires more frequent reboots.

- Several players have experienced loss of progress after server-reboot. Example: @Dotalot built our garden at our base 6 times now. After each reboot things he'd built would be gone as if he'd never built it. This also includes his SV and CV.

Right now, we're dealing with so many (gamebreaking) multiplayer bugs I've already seen some people swap servers (in hopes of not encountering the bugs there) and simply leave and not bother with Empyrion (for a while). Even though we're in pre-alpha and bugs will happen; I'd really appreciate it if some of these majors bugs/errors could get a little bit of attention. It's making the game incredibly unpleasant and it's the first time I've reached this point.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2015
  18. upsetkiller

upsetkiller Commander

^ thats due to the networkcode being very crude atm

And yeh we cant check play fields anymore by pressing b , sometimes of others and sometimes our own

19. Alo

Alo Captain

Yes we can check playfields. I can check it for myself, factionmembers and people who aren't in a faction. I'm not saying I can't check playfields; I'm saying that I sometimes have a "?" instead of "Omicron Orbit" when I'm in Omicron Orbit.

20. upsetkiller

upsetkiller Commander

thats very odd . The play fields disappear randomly next to the names after the latest update , iv tried 2 servers and same result , dunno will verify files and try again