Hello, I'm a Unity Artist Working on a Mod for Empyrion

Discussion in 'The Hangar Bay' started by Punk, Dec 15, 2019.

1. Punk

Punk Ensign

Hello. I am Chip Kay. Otherwise known as Punk, in the Empyrion universe and I am also a Unity Artist. I am working on a Modular Item crafting mod that allows players to build custom variations of guns and tools using a workbench and combining components to make a complete item. The foundation is a modular crafting system where you use weapon components (eg. slide and frame) to build a custom gun with unique stats attached to each component. This method is used in Borderlands series.

I have a lot of support from Empyrion's Facebook community and would like to show the concept of my mod to Eleon, and hopefully have this mod implemented and many in the Empyrion Facebook page are ecstatic about being able to craft custom items.

The foundation of my concept is, for the most part complete and functional. I have a demonstration on Youtube. I'm currently working on the crafting interface. If Eleon is interested in such a feature, I would like to speak with them and show some of my content.

My video can be viewed here...
    Please remember this only covers the weapon component behavior itself, the crafting component is being developed.

2. Hummel-o-War

Hummel-o-War Administrator Staff Member Community Manager

• Developer
    Reads very promising! :)

Just a question: Is this made for creating weapons out of the game for integrating them. .. o r is this planned to work right in the game?

xiaojie233, ion_storm, Ephoie and 2 others like this.
  3. SacredGlade

SacredGlade Captain

Is it worth adding the degradation variable to your parameters at this stage?

ion_storm and Ephoie like this.
  4. Punk

Punk Ensign

This will probably have to work right in game. I need Eleon's attention for this as I need to work closely with them. I have much support from the Empyrion Facebook page. The more support I have, the more likely this will happen. I am building the crafting script right now.

ion_storm, SacredGlade and Ephoie like this.
  5. Punk

Punk Ensign

Yes, I intend on implementing all weapon stats. I also want an expanding cone for handling and recoil. I also have at least 2 more combinations to add for combat pistols. I will implement this for Assault Rifles, sniper rifles, shotguns and SMGs.

Eventually, I want this to evolve to modular Armor/wearables, modular Turrets, and implementing Exo Suits.

ion_storm and Ephoie like this.
  6. Ephoie

Ephoie Captain

I can only dream of such a system. I had suggested similar ideas to this in previous threads, in regards to multitool, drill, armor, drone, and weapons. I love the workbench concept, as it would add anotehr dynamic to gameplay, and player progression/skill tree.
    A great idea, and I will be keeping an eye on this thread.

If you ever need a beta tester.....

ion_storm and SacredGlade like this.
  7. IndigoWyrd

IndigoWyrd Rear Admiral

Something like this, in game, would be pretty neat.
    My approach would be:

1. Construct a Workbench object and place it.
    2. Activate the Workbench object to bring up an interface to do something like above, where parts can be selected, added, and a final, finished item is produced.

Ephoie likes this.
  8. Punk

Punk Ensign

I am coding the workbench right now. Since I am using C# tutorials from youtube, it's hard finding a tutorial that does not rely on previously coded methods or objects. Which would mean I would have to start at the beginning of the entire tutorial series and work on content not related to the crafting bench before working on the crafting bench.

Ephoie likes this.
  9. Minelaus

Minelaus Captain

@Punk looks nice , done once a similar system for a medi evil random drop generator , the weapon models was generated out of a pool of parts and the stats was generated from the material there was build with , shown trugh the textures attached to the parts .

10. Ephoie

Ephoie Captain

@Punk
    How goes? have you been having any luck?

11. Ephoie

Ephoie Captain

So, is this dead in the water? Or has it gone "top secret"?

12. IndigoWyrd

IndigoWyrd Rear Admiral

Might be hard at work on it, might be having a serious case of Life.
    Time will tell.

Ephoie likes this.
  13. Ephoie

Ephoie Captain

Helllooooo! Any word? I am so very curious!

14. piddlefoot

piddlefoot Rear Admiral

Yes what happened here ?

Did Covid get in the way ?

Or did you move to another game ?

Got bored maybe ?

Did Eleon come and snatch you up and secretly toss you into there bunker !! LOL !

Sign on the NDA dotted line and heres your bonus carrot on a stick !

Ok that was just going to far, there was no need to bring poor old carrots into this. !

Seriously though Punk, lol that sounds funny as I say it in my own head, listen here PUNK ! LOL
    Seriously though, are you still working on this awesome idea champ ?
    Because it has pretty awesome potential.
    It would, I recon, be one of the most popular mods ever made with Empyrion including all of its scenarios.
    Over the years there have been a lot of posts about weapons models etc.

Do beat Covid and return to Empyrion !

All hail the PunK ! hahaha

15. Punk

Punk Ensign

Woah, thanks to everyone showing interest, I didn't realize so many replied. I was hired by another company and working on their project at this time. This project is always on my mind, and I am at the point where I am trying to build the crafting system from scratch. Then trying to merge the crafting system and the modular weapon system. I am trying to find tutorials on how to do it. Between my new job and R&D, I'm at a stumbling block.