How to use FILLER BLOCKS

Discussion in 'Knowledge & Info' started by Hummel-o-War, Jan 16, 2019.

1. Hawkie

Hawkie Commander

Tried it, and unfortunately it didnt help. I am at a loss here. Its a POI totally built from scratch, and it should not move after terrain removal, so any other ideas? I am happy to let anyone else test it and see if you come up with ideas.

Attached Files:

2. Hawkie

Hawkie Commander

After squaring off the sides to match eachothers, it has reduced the offset down to 1 block, but still to much. So it seems as when you come under a certain depth it doesnt like assymmetric shapes. Still not any luck getting off the last part of the offset, but will try to match depth with the sides as well.

3. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

Edit : dumb me... let me check this again... :rolleyes:

After several tries I can't say what the problem could be. Without changing anything some parts are there or disappear, holes are larger/ smaller, some new holes appear under the garden, etc. Maybe tied with the terrain type also...

It may be caused by half-blocks/ round shapes (the round shaft going down from the main room at ground level), some corner posts in corridors...

Last edited: Aug 31, 2020
  4. Hawkie

Hawkie Commander

Well regarding the half blocks, I intentionally kept all blocks full blocks in one version, and in this version its only 4 underground half blocks, so i doubt that is it. To me it seems as there might happen a shift when you come below a certain ground level. Going to make a test POI where i add levels below and test each one. However this is a real issue, and it needs solving, so I will keep going on it.

Kassonnade likes this.
  5. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

Maybe try placing it as a fixed POI on a perfectly flat area to see what it gives ?

6. Hawkie

Hawkie Commander

Fixed POI on a flat surface (took some work to get that done) no issues whatsoever. Seems like the problem arises during terrain removal on dynamic terrain. However making it totally square in all directions on the surface block, and then resetting pivot, made it spawn correctly. However that doesnt explain the issue at hand. Keep top soil was also nescessary otherwise there would be free floating trees and grass around the POI. I think there is a larger issue at hand here.

Kassonnade likes this.
  7. Jorgodan

Jorgodan Commander

Now unfortunately I have no idea of anything and can not test it. But what I have experienced is the fact that nothing is as it should, when the construction breaks through the 0-layer.
    So the question would be, how deep is your underground system and how much space is there between the 0-LAyer and the surface where you have placed it.
    Even if I'm talking utter nonsense, it may help as point for thought.

8. Hawkie

Hawkie Commander

Well I penetrate most surface layers as it is -46 deep (23 blocks) in original version, and -54 on the final version (27 blocks)
    And there is enough layers, but problem seems to arise on certain depths, so i am working on a test structure to be able to identify at what point the problem occurs.

9. Jorgodan

Jorgodan Commander

It's not about piercing the surface. It's about piercing the 0-layer or the origin of the coordinates or whatever the first level is called.
    The crucial question is how far away is the surface from the 0 layer. If you go into the GM and dive under the surface you will eventually come to the bottom 0-layer. There is absolutely nothing below that.
    If your object penetrates this level, all calculations for SI and similar are obviously no longer correct. -46 and -54 are a hell of a lot. In a temperate planet, the plains and flat terrain areas can already be 20m above the 0-layer. Then you are 26 m through the origin of coordinates. Something no longer runs smoothly. I have seen that with my offshore objects, they have pillars for water depths of up to 50 m. I can't put this object in a lake on normal planets either. then the SI completely misses. I had already asked questions about this, but no one answered.

Fundamental questions about planet structure in connection with basic building. EA A12
    I can't test things like that. But it could be related.
    I also don't know how it works if the command "Remove Terrain" is to cut out a box that would extend under the 0-Layer.

10. Hawkie

Hawkie Commander

Well from what I can observe in tests and analyzing the errors, it seems as remove terrain cuts out a square box, then fills in a shape of the object that is supposed to fit into the hole. But somewhere in that process it sometimes adjust the terrain at the same time and therefore moves the object a bit to fit it in, and in that process it becomes skew of the center. Resetting the pivot point seems to partially fix this.

I have however another observation, that might not be related or accurate, but here it is. It seems all the problems I see with this happens with land based objects that i have constructed in space. I made a exact replica but entirely build on ground with a dug out hole in the ground as structure support. When adding filler blocks to it and then spawning it, it fit nicely from start.

11. Jorgodan

Jorgodan Commander

I can't say much about that. I have no experience with that yet. Could be, if a basic starter block in the space is not aligned to 0 before it is set (key O), it then has to be readjusted during automatic generation on a planet, which does not fit.

12. Hawkie

Hawkie Commander

That might actually be a good clue, as center alignment might be a bit off when constructed in space. I will try to make a structure in space, and then using warp center it perfectly and see what that does.

13. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

I'll try to test your poi tonight or tomorrow.
    Tag or message me if I don't get back to you in case I forget!

14. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

The pivot point of the POI isn't set correctly (on the blueprint uploaded at least).

You can tell when you go to spawn it in creative it's off center:
    20200901195016_1.jpg

After running the clearpivot command:
    20200901195031_1.jpg

Then spawning it again:
    20200901195036_1.jpg

Resaved it after running the command to make sure it saved the new pivot point.
    Attached is the blueprint, it should work now. Tag me if it doesn't. (I didn't test in a survival game yet).

Attached Files:

Hawkie and Jorgodan like this.
  15. Hawkie

Hawkie Commander

It works in some terrains, but in others it needs to be squared off completely. Pivot is a key here, but its strange how this only affects structures i have built in space. Also have noticed filler block next to a totally square concrete/steel block on top surface leaves gaps, and in some cases where you have structure going low from top, you can see the gap all the way down, even if pivot is fixed

16. Jorgodan

Jorgodan Commander

It's a well-known phenomenon. Who can read has a clear advantage. If it has already been described. See the topic Post.;)
    "- When using the Blueprint-Group Setting "Keep Top Soil" there will be a small gap between solid blocks (base blocks) and filler blocks, because the terrain voxels will try to interpolate the height starting from the block-base.
    [​IMG]"

You have to try to cover it up cleverly.

Hawkie likes this.
  17. Hawkie

Hawkie Commander

Thanks for all good responses. Seems there is also an issue with terrain types and when a POI hits the intersection between layers, but in short as long as i was aware of these things, i could get around it. And resetting pivot helped a lot. So thanks all