[MOD] Empyrion Notices

Discussion in 'The Hangar Bay' started by joemorin73, Dec 14, 2017.

1. metapo

metapo Lieutenant

joemorin73 likes this.
  2. WolfEyes

WolfEyes Captain

Thanks for all the info. It was really helpful in making a decision.

3. Jaydee

Jaydee Lieutenant

What are the commands to disable/enable this?

4. WolfEyes

WolfEyes Captain

Good luck getting any answers.

5. GasBandit

GasBandit Commander

I think "EN:?" will list you all commands, if you're an admin.

6. Jaydee

Jaydee Lieutenant

That should have been obviously stated, but thanks.

7. WolfEyes

WolfEyes Captain

I don't understand why, when a person makes a genuine inquiry about this mod, that person is ignored, yet other people get answers.

Or is this a mod that only a few are allowed to use? If that is the case, it should be noted in the OP so the rest of us don't waste our time. I was interested in possibly using this mod once I got more information but no one bothered so I've crossed it off my list of possibilities.

8. GasBandit

GasBandit Commander

What are you talking about? Your "what does this mod do?" question? The answer was in the original post of the thread.

9. WolfEyes

WolfEyes Captain

I don't see "death messages" defined any where.

I asked specific questions for a reason. No one bothered to answer until now. And even now aren't bothering to answer my questions.

Ignoring prospective "customers" is not a good way to do "business".

10. GasBandit

GasBandit Commander

I didn't see any "specific" questions, I saw one general message easily answered by the original post.

You are not a prospective "customer," and this is not a "business." This mod is a tool for server administrators, made by another user on his own time, for which he has not been paid, and is providing to us gratis and as-is. I would wager the author doesn't care if you use it or not. I had zero problems understanding the purpose of this mod from the given information (and zero problems getting it running for that matter). Being a server administrator in this environment requires a certain amount of competence and due diligence. You would not believe some of the much, much more difficult hurdles there are to overcome in getting a server to run smoothly. If you need your hand held by a personal concierge every step of the way on even this most simple and easy matter, perhaps administrating an empyrion server is not for you. And if the way you expect to effect change is by repeatedly whining like a wet cat, you're going to find less people inclined to help you.

(For the record before anyone asks, I am not affiliated with the author of this mod, I'm just another user/private server admin)

Ephoie likes this.
  11. WolfEyes

WolfEyes Captain

No specific questions?

I'm fine with not using this mod on my up coming server. Especially after getting such an asshole response. Never had any trouble running my own servers so I doubt I would be asking you for any help. There are plenty of other people out there who are willing to help IF I need it.

ETA: And there was a reason I put the words customer and business quotes. The quotes signify the words are not being used in the traditional sense of that word.

12. GasBandit

GasBandit Commander

"What exactly does this mod do?"
    Boom, question answered. Best of luck with your server, your comprehension difficulties, and your entitlement issues.

Ephoie likes this.
  13. WolfEyes

WolfEyes Captain

You assume far too much about someone you know nothing about.

Jerk.

*plonk*

14. GasBandit

GasBandit Commander

I apologize for assuming that you had reading and reasoning skills comparable to most server admins, and the associated familiarity with terms of the game genre that would usually imply.

This. Is. A. Death. Notice. Mod.

It. Sends. Everyone. On. The. Server. A. Notice. When. Someone. Dies. Or. Leaves. Or. Joins. The. Server.

Nobody answered your question with a definition of what "death notices" means because it was assumed anyone who has played an online computer game in the last 20 years would be familiar with the concept.

Yes, and you did so because you wished to frame the situation in a way that portrayed you as entitled to personal assistance (and miffed at not having received it), IE, a customer patronizing a business, instead of the actual situation, which is a mendicant requesting free support when they're out of their depth.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2018
    Ephoie likes this.
  15. GasBandit

GasBandit Commander

Actually, now, to get back to discussing the particular mod in question, @joemorin73:

When editing the messages.yaml to add more death messages, can you use the {0} more than once on a line? Like, for example if I put in a line that read:

Code:
    - DeathType: 0
    Would multiple uses of the {0} name pointer cause an exception?

Ephoie likes this.
  16. GasBandit

GasBandit Commander

Little bug report here - it doesn't seem to be able to identify the cause of death in any circumstance. Even starving or gunshot return the generic ones. Like so:

upload_2018-6-20_22-21-23.png

That was death by being shot, but it didn't use the "ate a bullet" line of Death type 1 strings, just the death type 0.

17. Fluffy MF Feather Weight

Fluffy MF Feather Weight Ensign

has there been an update for this mod yet?

18. Emperor Johnny

Emperor Johnny Commander

Thanks for making this mod joemorin73.

I'm trying to make a mod as well using the GameAPI. Would you be able to share the source files so I can learn how you did it?

Or could anyone tell me where to find source files for a mod that works with the current version of Empyrion?

Last question for anyone able to answer :
    Does the Game API still use dot net 3.5?

Thanks in advance for anyone able to help.

19. Taelyn

Taelyn Guest

Yes

20. Xango2000

Xango2000 Captain

For now... I noticed 9.6 is using Dot Net 4.0