Reforged Eden Scenario

Discussion in 'Scenarios' started by Vermillion, Jul 16, 2020.

1. ASTIC

ASTIC Rear Admiral

Hi @ravien_ff do you have a Steamlink for the current "Reforged Eden War and Industry" Scenariodownload which you could give here

2. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

It's just the same workshop page.

3. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

I am not sure what you are asking about for either of those?

4. VPanda

VPanda Lieutenant

Where do I find: "Added new combat, mining, and exploration sites that make use of new mission tech."
    and, Added Alarm Sentry for HV, SV, and CV.(I called it a siren) - it doesn't work. I was attacked multiple times by drones.

5. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

Check the empyriopedia for the site locations.

As for the proximity alarm it of course needs line of sight just like any other turret.

VPanda likes this.
  6. VPanda

VPanda Lieutenant

You mean vanilla empyriopedia? I thought it was RE combat sites etc

7. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

If you see the vanilla Empyriopedia then you're not playing the scenario.

8. Scoob

Scoob Rear Admiral

*Gasp!* using the console to discover things? I'm shocked you'd suggest such a thing... ;) (That actually never occurs to me, and I do like to play properly, unless I encounter a bug)

I have M.2 NVMe drives in RAID 0, so they're pretty speedy. Empyion saves are LOTS of smaller files though, which you notice on even the fastest drives. My current save is only 20Mb, so pretty tiny. That's at my small BA with one HV nearby, no other POI's within 2.5km or so and very little in the way of deco (trees etc.) as the planet is barren.

I think if Empyrion internally packed all this up into one Save archive, it'd be far far quicker - especially on a Spinner. Do many people actually still use those do you think? I mean, I do for backup and the like, but any "live" data is on SSD. Both my Gaming and Work PC are both 100% SSD, the backup box has SSD's for system drive, and spinners for data.

9. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

The computer I just recently upgraded from had empyrion installed on a HDD because I didn't have enough space on the SSD.

Remember that save games don't depend on what's around you. Using the backup option backs up everything you've visited, every planet, every ship and poi, every star system you ever warped to. Every terrain change you made.
    So the more star systems you visit, the more files are created, the bigger the save game gets.

10. Scoob

Scoob Rear Admiral

Your gaming experience is likely much improved, but I guess you've upgraded everything, not just the HDD? Not run Empyrion on a spinner ever myself. Think I've been using SSD's for over ten years now, and I usually RAID0 them for even more speed, while not impacting latency.

That makes sense, I've not left the starting planet yet, though I have partially dismantled many small, and some larger, POI's. The amount of stuff the game has to record is crazy. I mean, every rock I've mined and every tree (all like six of them in this case lol) has to be recorded. That's always amazed me. The seed can generate the game Universe, but every single change has to be recorded, that's nuts.

VPanda and ravien_ff like this.
  11. AlterDraconis

AlterDraconis Lieutenant

Last edited: Sep 18, 2023
  12. Vermillion

Vermillion Rear Admiral

And we probably will use most of them... after some edits.

Myrmidon and Stampy like this.
  13. Fractalite

Fractalite Rear Admiral

That is probably my favorite start. The dead trees can be found around the low hills or around the mountains. As for POI's... try traveling towards the poles and look for a space shuttle. :)

ravien_ff likes this.
  14. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

Myrmidon and Stampy like this.
  15. Scoob

Scoob Rear Admiral

Yeah, I'm liking it. I've only found trees in the Mountains biomes, and often there's just one in the area. However, I managed to get some Wood Planks from a POI, turned them into Fibre and planted some Fibre crops. So, have a steady income now.

My favourite start was at one time the Dark Rogue planet. I loved that. However, last time I played it - quite some time back now - there was a bug where enemies would spawn, and keep spawning, every few seconds once outside the starting POI, making it impossible. Before that issue though, it was a GREAT game start. My only issue being that I couldn't wipe out the POI when I returned later in a CV... I wanted revenge! lol.

Thought: Is it at all possible to dynamically change a POI from Admin to regular Core? I.e. during the initial phase it's protected, to preserve the narrative intended by the designer. Then, once the Player has left the area, change it to a regular Core so it can be destroyed upon the player's return?

Fractalite likes this.
  16. Fractalite

Fractalite Rear Admiral

In addition to seeing a workshop download that I suspect was an update to Eden, you have encouraged me to start another game there.

So much fun.

17. Scoob

Scoob Rear Admiral

Cool :) I'm at the CV stage finally, created fully from salvaged bits... it's currently far from complete though, with only one small air-tight area, the Bridge. Still, it flies and allows me to loot more easily.

As an aside.... I was just approaching an unmarked (no HUD or Map marker, even with a CV-level ping) POI that looks a bit like the "Ruined Base" POI IIRC (confirmed, I placed a salvage core). Basically a large structure, with some loot, a Large Constructor and a couple of Large Generators to salvage. Anyway, as I approached I got a weird special effect. You know the trail left by meteorites that show up as you approach them, irrespective of when the hit? Well, it was just like that, bust scaled down much smaller. Weird right?

Not noticed anything odd about this POI so far...

Edit: Well, I have now noticed something different about this POI. It's the FIRST POI this game that, after placing a Salvage Core, I've gained XP for each item I salvage. Before this I'd earnt ZERO XP for building (Base, HV and CV) and zero XP for all the prior POI's I've salvaged with a Salvage core.

I still don't know when XP is supposed to be granted and not... same with my prior Vanilla game. I used to earn MOST of my XP with some build project or another, now I generally get zero.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2023
  18. Fractalite

Fractalite Rear Admiral

You earn xp from multitooling structures that are marked or have been set to "public." This tends not to happen as much any more but when Ravien created the first dead planets(they were his first hard starts) he did so at a time when the setting to public was more common/accessible.

I was wrong about heading to the poles for the incomplete spaceship POI - having started two games yesterday and then continuing the one today I noticed that it seems to spawn near to the waypointed double blue chevron marker on the map. Not that you care, just wanted to steer you correctly in the event that you were interested. So... much.... loot... *Note; remember that you can knock out the bottom bits and have loot LITERALLY rain down upon you head with some of the POIs. It is not only deliriously fun but the material percentage return is quite high.

I have never actually seen a meteorite let alone seen one land :) so I do not know.

On a side note, I did have trouble in both games finding iron ore. Have did you fare in that category? It seems to be a touch sparser than I remember.

19. Garaman

Garaman Captain

You can earn XP salvaging private structures if you are in a faction. Once you switch it to faction though you stop earning XP. Same thing with salvaging public structures but then making them private. Basically the structure has to be a different ownership than your character's current state.

Fractalite and Myrmidon like this.
  20. Scoob

Scoob Rear Admiral

Hmm, the XP-gaining behaviour you describe is not quite what I'm seeing. I just slap down the Salvage Core and start salvaging. I change nothing. Yet, on that last POI (Ruined Base) I started gaining good XP for every single block I recovered with the MultiTool. No other POI's have given me any, despite doing the same thing each time.

Also, when it comes to building something from scratch, how is XP supposed to work there? It used to be that building my first Base, or CV (which I'm doing now) would grant LOTS of XP, currently I get nothing. Is that because I set it to my faction right away?

Note: I'm Single Player but I am in a Faction. Salvaged structures are "Private" by default, I don't change this unless I'm using a proper Core and claiming the POI as my own. I did that once for my current base. Zero XP gain expanding said base.

For me, there have been LOADS of iron-bearing rocks. Iron has not been a problem at all. However, I've only encountered a handful (like five) Silicon rocks and not many more Copper rocks. I've been forced to mine lots of Stone to gain Copper and Silicon early-game. Until I got a few lucky finds of Ingots in POI loot. Trees are really scarce too, but I used those I did find sparingly early-game, now I grow Fibre so I'm ok. That said, my initial need of trees was to create biofuel - I thought I'd be reliant on this - but Solar is particularly good on this Planet, and I've found quite a lot of Fuel. So that early-game concern is no more.

Oh, I've tried to collapse a number of POI's using that trick - not the escape rocket though - and physics hasn't worked. I can remove two or even three layers at ground level and a structure remains floating, mostly green SI, and doesn't fall. Other POI's might explode for no valid reason after removing just one block - a block that's in no way load-bearing - so it's good to see SI is as quirky as ever lol.

The double-blue chevron (the signal - though I cannot interact with it like in prior games) is located near the South pole in my game, the unfinished escape rocket isn't that far away, also near the pole.

My biggest issue this game has been levelling up - I've left it on default - many hours played and I'm just level 9! I'm of course not killing critters for meat, there are no enemies and I'm not picking plants - there aren't any. So, that makes sense. However, I have been mining lots of (mostly Iron) surface rocks as well as regular rocks. With building / salvaging NOT granting me any XP - apart from that one POI - I'm lagging behind. It's only since I got my farm up and running that I started getting XP. I've gotten more XP from harvesting my own farm than ALL other activities in the game combined. That's not quite right, is it? lol. XP from building used to be so reliable, but that was ages ago. Still, Empyrion's method where picking plants teaches you how to build rocket ships has always been a little odd. I wonder if the often talked about rework of experience and the tech tree will ever happen?

Still, I'm having fun. This start isn't as challenging as I remembered (unless I'm confusing it with a different start) as radiation is generally low, other than hot spots. Food was a challenge, as was finding fuel to generate O2. However, much of this was down to me spawning in a vast, empty area of the map with nothing about. I think I travelled several km on foot, before I saw anything. Planet still isn't fully explored, but I have a WIP CV now, so it's easier to explore and loot. However, I've only managed to salvage 12 Medium CV Thrusters, and cannot build any more - too low a level to craft, plus not got the materials yet. Want to save up for a Deconstructor, once I have the level for it.

Not gone into space yet, could do, but want to finish exploring the planet first. Perhaps there will be other juicy POI's.

Tell ya what though, I think a lot of Empyrion bugs are still NPC-related. I mean, the absence of NPC's means I've not been shot through a wall even once, no invisible (not rendered) enemies shooting me, no "surprise!" traps of NPC's delay-spawning right on top of me. No NPC's walking through me etc. Plus, I've not been "hit" once by a melee attacker that's 5 metres away and not facing me. Nice lol. It does highlight an area of the game that needs work from the devs by the absence of NPC's in this game start.