Reforged Galaxy

Discussion in 'Scenarios' started by Vermillion, Dec 24, 2019.

1. Vermillion

Vermillion Rear Admiral

I'll see if I can get them all working properly. But I don't want to add so many blocks which will cause problems down the road.
    It'd be fine for the scenario because it doesn't get overwritten by an update, but with the config files I release here, any update that changes the configs will overwrite the custom blocks and loading a game with them will either destroy anything with them built into them or corrupt the game.
    Which is why I avoid adding new blocks. Items are fine, blocks are not.

In the meantime, the Reforged Localization does not work, it's a bug in the game. Even just changing one line of the localization will throw an error on the main menu and if you try to load the game. It works fine for scenarios though.
    I'll be reporting it to the devs, so don't use it until they fix the problem on their end.

2. Jeffrey Goins

Jeffrey Goins Ensign

Does this work with the Experimental version of Empyrion or just the stable? I keep getting an error on load.
    Looks amazing, by the way, I can't wait to play it with the fam!

3. Vermillion

Vermillion Rear Admiral

For the economically-minded (Capitalist pigs), i've compiled a basic guide to Reforged Galaxy's economic process...

Reforged Economy
    A simple guide to how money works in Reforged Galaxy

Reforged Galaxy's economy operates on larger values than the vanilla game. Where zirax would drop $100 or more and $100 could then be used to fully refuel your ship, despite the fact that the actual cost of mining and processing promethium yourself would set you back $10000 in labor costs and you could kill a group of patrolling zirax for the cost of 5 sniper bullets and net yourself $500 or more.
    Beneficial for the player, sure. But not fair to the worth of work undertaken by the player for the same result.

Reforged Galaxy uses larger denominations of currency, so if you look at a trader and go "Why is everything so overpriced!?" the answer is that it's not. You're just measuring those values against the old system and that's where you're going wrong. Stop that, right this second. You'll get nowhere fast.

The Purchase Price of items from NPCs is an exact value measured by the component values of the item. The more complex and expensive the base components are, the more expensive the finished item will be. Obviously, this also applies to the sale price when selling these items to NPC.

Buying: Base Item prices are between their minimum (total base cost) base value and their maximum value (total base cost +50%).
    So a steel plate is worth $110 as it's base price, which means that the price for a steel plate to buy from an NPC will always be between $110 and $165.
    Selling: Selling to an NPC is always 50% of the base item price up to 50% of the maximum sale price. This is more-or-less how the base game does it, so nothing changes there except that you're operating on a larger budget.
    Commodity Items: Commodity items are a special batch of items. They cannot be crafted and usually cannot be found. They can only be bought from registered supplier NPCs, usually in bulk numbers. They can then be sold to NPCs belonging to another faction or at a different location that buy the item for a fair or significant profit, based on their initial purchase prices.
    You can literally be a delivery driver for money, using commodity items. Though the NPC restock prices, may require you to travel further as supply and demand dries up.

Faction alliance discounts will allow you to reduce the cost to buy most items. The buy and sell prices do not overlap in order to prevent an exploit where the player can buy items from the trader, then sell back for a profit.

Item Base Values:
    Each base item has a value that I assigned them relative to all other items and their value in recipes and progression. The base game has similar values, but they're too goddamn small that the difference between say... erestrum and iron is only a few credits despite erestrum being an endgame, rare and hard-to-mine material. Differences in price in the base game cause price exploits in the costs of gold due to inconsistencies between crafting, repairing and purchasing. (Bad devs! Learn to count!)
    Larger values allow a greater disparity between base item values based on rarity and value.
    These values, like those used in the base game are arbitrary like all monetary denominations (e.g. JP¥ vs US$ vs Can$) so it's nothing new. The distance between values allows a greater distance accounting for rarity and value which doesn't work when the game operates in small numbers without decimal currency.

The base pricing for each component is listed below:
    Iron Ingot: 175
    Copper Ingot: 250
    Silicon Ingot: 200
    Cobalt Ingot: 400
    Magnesium Powder: 200
    Titanium Rod: 600
    Neodymium Ingot: 800
    Sathium Ingot: 1000
    Erestrum Ingot: 1200
    Zascosium Ingot: 1400
    Gold Ingot: 4000*
    Promethium Pellet: 150
    Refined Pentaxid: 300
    Wood Logs: 120
    Crushed Stone: 30
    Water Container: 180
    Xeno Substrate: 700

From these numbers you can deduce the exact value of any item by simply looking at the item's constructor recipe and adding up the items that go into it.
    Note: Gold ingot's base price does not increase. It always sells for 4000 (excluding discounts) and can always be sold for 2000. Gold can be converted into coins worth exactly 2000 and coins can be melted down into a gold ingot that sells for 2000. It's a fixed conversion system.
    Due to the discount system, the price must always be higher than the sell price to prevent exploits.

Construction Cost Calculations:
    Each item's base value is determined by the number and complexity of the components based on the above values. This is using RG's recipes not the base game so there's no point in trying to calculate it yourself unless you're looking at the RG crafting templates.
    There is also a construction bonus cost of exactly 25% that goes into every single crafted item.
    For example: 5 Iron Ingots crafts 10 Steel Plates.
    5 iron ingots are worth $875 (at $175 each), but because there's also time and energy consumption involved in the crafting an additional modifier of +25% total cost is applied. Bringing the total cost to $1093 divided by the number of output items.
    So 1093/10 = 109.3, rounded up to the closest round number of 110.
    Thus, all steel plates in recipes are worth 110 and any item made with steel plates would itself be worth an extra +25%.
    As such, an item with a lot of multi-stage components (e.g. Power Coils) are worth significantly more than their component parts.

Some examples:
    Power Coil: 63137
    Capacitor Component: 10385
    Computer: 2456
    Laser Rifle: 222978
    Small Optronic Bridge: 77150

That means that one laser rifle is worth 3 small optronic bridges. So get to making those laser rifles for the biggest income.
    Note: Because buy and sell prices are 50% cost apart, the amount you can sell items for will be 50-75% of the above values.

Food Price Values:
    The monetary values of food items are added together in a similar way. But their base costs is largely determined by their component food values. Although unrealistic, it would be unfair to buy dino stew for $6, allowing you to never need to craft food.
    Although, food is still cheap enough that you can survive off bought food right from the beginning if you have a good source of money.

Plant Protein: 25
    Vegetables: 30
    Fruit: 28
    Grain: 20
    Natural Stimulant: 35
    Berries: 15
    Mushrooms: 30
    Natural Sweetener: 34
    Spice: 40
    Herbal Leaves: 20
    Alien Thorn: 75
    Alien Tooth: 35
    Meat: 60
    Egg: 101
    Confetti Moss Scrapings: 300
    Firemoss Scrapings: 770
    Nutrient Solution: 255

Energy Bar = 2 plant protein = 25x2=50+25% = $62

Since moss scrapings cannot be farmed and are biome specific, they're naturally worth higher amounts. You can make a good amount of cash early by selling moss scrapings to a medical trader that buys them.
    This also applies to items that aren't on the list, like Phoenix Fern Fronds and Varon Roots.

Some Final Examples:
    Waffles: 301
    Dino Stew: 388
    Pizza: 431
    Emergency Rations: 1578
    Anti-Parasite Injection: 628

With a decent income from selling a single upgrade kit from a zirax troop you could buy 6 emergency rations and be set for a few hours.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2020
  4. Coreador

Coreador Commander

Thanks for this detailed explanation. It covers a lot.

I'm not sure I've seen the exploit you mention in the base game. Even with Honored discount, the game never sets the sell price higher than the buy price. So I don't see how you can exploit that for infinite cash? Or do you mean by visiting multiple traders who do not have the same sell price? Also, gold seems to be fixed at 250 buy and sell, and never changes, so i don't see how that is exploited.

Given that sell prices are significantly less than buy prices, and construction now only offers a fixed 25% value increase, does that mean it is rarely worthwhile to buy raw materials, produce a product, and sell it? I guess it would have to be a multi-stage product to be net positive?

The sticker shock you mentioned makes sense now, but players only see a few prices for a few goods (until later when they can travel around more). It's easy for them to be surprised if they are only used to the base game. But this explanation clears it up a bit.

Do the commodity items fluctuate randomly (like base game prices), or do they actually model supply and demand?

The Salty Snake Chef likes this.
  5. Vermillion

Vermillion Rear Admiral

Repair costs using the station services peg gold ingots with a $240 value.
    Repair a CV which has crew for 240 per crewmember (Worth 1 gold ingot), retrieve crew, sell crew for 7000. Repeat infinitely for a profit of 6760 per crew member. Or just salvage the crew for 5-8 gold coins and convert straight into cash.
    This isn't possible with RG since crew's gold requirement was replaced with the crew block itself, but there are other items and blocks in RG that use gold. Just as optronics use gold.
    With a discount, you could probably get a profit... maybe, by buying manufacturing and then selling something high-tier. But the game's not set up for that kind of complexity since it would require entirely new traders on a variety of different POIs with different price sets, allowing you to say... buy ingots from a refinery 25% less than from a regular trader, craft them into something more complex yourself and sell to another trader at another location that buys for 25% more than to a regular trader.
    That simply can't be done with the current trader list because it would need to be incorporated into each POI, and therefore be part of the base game.
    Well, people will only look at the purchase price. So when they see say... a T1 Assault Rifle for 880-1320 and they have $270 from killing 10 zirax and go "that's stupidly expensive", but they spent what? 15 sniper rounds? and got some food, medicine and a heavy weapon upgrade kit. All they're seeing is how expensive the items are and how much money they've got. They're probably not even considering that if they sold that upgrade kit instead of keeping it, they'll get a minimum of $10k.
    No, the game does not support fluctuating prices. Maybe when they overhaul the trading system in the future, which i'm sure they'll do since they've started future-proofing item costs in the itemsconfig instead of the trader's config, with station services having variable modifiers for costs.
    NPC buy and sell prices fit between two pre-determined values for buy and sell. In this case, buy prices are between 100% and 150% and sell prices are between 50% and 75%, but I had to spend hours working out what those values are and inputting the numbers manually for each item.
    Commodity prices are reversed in that you can buy for (usually) 100-150% price and then sell elsewhere for 200-300% price.
    If you get lucky with an item selling at the lower end of the range near the 100% mark with a 15% discount, and find a buyer at the 300% mark you can make millions as long as they have stock/demand. But this also means that you might need to travel several system to get such a huge exchange price from the right buyer and seller.
    Those commodity items are also heavy and bulky, so you might need a good freighter as well.
    This only works with the public version. The experimental version of Empyrion is no longer supported by the developers. All updates go to public now.
    If you're still using the experimental version, you'll be getting errors from new blocks like ladders that were added after the game moved from experimental to public.
    If you've installed Reforged Localization, You need to remove it until the devs sort the bug with custom localizations out on their end. Since the game will throw errors are refuse to load a non-scenario game. For some weird reason, a custom localization will work if it's part of a scenario.

6. Brimstone

Brimstone Rear Admiral

I totally get the problem you face- that's why I directed the comment to Eleon. Those shapes are long overdue in the base game..

Inappropriate likes this.
  7. Coreador

Coreador Commander

Wait, I missed this. Are you saying experimental is now dead? Or just not being used and supported until they ready for the next alpha?

8. Vermillion

Vermillion Rear Admiral

Once an update finishes the experimental stage and is moved to public, the devs release no more updates to experimental until the next Experimental version comes out. Which will probably be A13.
    Experimental is now finished at like... version 2933, while public has been updated to 2960 and will continue to be updated.

If you look at the Patch Notes section, all updates have been for the public version for the last several weeks and there has been nothing in the experimental section.

9. RazzleWin

RazzleWin Rear Admiral

Mate unless it's come out in the last minute the last update I see is
    2020-06-24 Hotfix Alpha 12.1 (Build 2956) :D

10. Vermillion

Vermillion Rear Admiral

11. RazzleWin

RazzleWin Rear Admiral

Says the man changing all the config files and doing all the math :eek:
    No worried mate! It's all good :D

12. shinooni

shinooni Ensign

Hey everyone,
    Recently setup a dedicated server with project Eden and Reforged Galaxy(started with 1.35 updated the scenario folder with 1. 37 hoping it would fix my problem), I manage the server with EAH.

I've run into a problem certain items get stuck In the constructor, as in all the resources are there and it will queue but won't build also won't remove from queue only way to remove it is pickup the constructor. So far I have found the mechanical drill and the grow plots do this.

I'll be reposting this in the other thread just in case this is the wrong place for this problem.

Thanks ahead of time hope someone can help I'm at a loss.

13. Vermillion

Vermillion Rear Admiral

An item not crafting even with all the components and the correct recipe is a problem for the developers. Since it's the constructor itself that is refusing to run. Though since this is a custom config, they probably won't do anything.

14. Brimstone

Brimstone Rear Admiral

Just for shits and giggles, pick up the constructor, restart the server, then put it back down

15. shinooni

shinooni Ensign

When you pickup the constructor it removes it from queue its the only way to continue using the constructor.
    I'll do a test in vanilla setup.

Also is this a known behaviour / bug?

16. Vermillion

Vermillion Rear Admiral

It's been reported with the Mechanical Drill by one other person, not the grow plots though.
    Both instances occur on a server.

17. shinooni

shinooni Ensign

Did some testing - EAH is the problem.
    it seems to break things - not sure why or what would be doing that.

Vermillion likes this.
  18. MidasGunhazard

MidasGunhazard Captain

Dehydration and Dismemberment aren't listed in the Doctor's Journal of the Encyclopedia, so there's no in-game way of knowing what it is, what it's doing, or how to fix it.

edit: also, as an aside, either as part of this or on its own, could the horrendous window tinting finally be fixed since Eleon seems to not care and I'm sick of always having to be in third person to see anything in low-light conditions?

19. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

The developers should really fix this in the main game. I haven't gotten an answer as to why this is the case except that it might have been because of performance reasons (though wouldn't see-through windows be less performance heavy than tinted ones?)

20. Fractalite

Fractalite Rear Admiral

Just to make sure, you know you can change the tinting with the multi-tool right?