Reforged Galaxy

Discussion in 'Scenarios' started by Vermillion, Dec 24, 2019.

1. Vermillion

Vermillion Rear Admiral

That's a story POI. It's not meant to be salvaged, and certainly not meant to give you an entire CV's worth of materials from the first POI of the story missions.
    The thrusters are S-size, the building blocks however are Hull Blocks. Which are CV blocks that retrieve as HV/SV blocks, they are in vanilla.

2. Scoob

Scoob Rear Admiral

So my assumption was right, it's got those blocks by choice. I think there are better ways to deny the player resources you don't want them to have yet. I mean, don't show fake L-Class blocks and fake L-Class Thrusters to tease me that it's a good find lol. Just remove the thrusters. I don't think gaining a few L-Class blocks, or the components, is a huge leg-up considering the availability of Iron. I get this is a vanilla plot POI though, so I guess you just leave it alone.

I did still gain fuel and O2 tanks as well as a large constructor, which were actually more immediately useful. Should those be absent too, do you think? Oh, those tanks had fuel, which allowed me to craft Multi-tool charges...I'd not have been able to attempt to salvage without that. Of course in vanilla we need Promethium Pellets.

What I like to do, if I'm lucky enough to find a decent CV wreck on the starting planet, is pop down a "CV Base" where I use a single CV block from the Factory to build what's basically a regular base, then add bits to it from the CV - building a junker CV if you will. That CV then allows easier salvage of other POI's. I was trying to do the same thing (off plot, I wasn't guided to this POI) this game when I saw the crashed CV, but didn't initially realised it'd been nerfed. It must be the Reforged Eden version that's a "proper" CV wreck with salvageable CV blocks and devices.

3. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

The wreck is there to get you some salvage to use for making a better SV. There's not a good way to make an actual wrecked SV so the alternative is to completely remove the ability to salvage the wreck at all and then you'd get nothing from it.

Finding a wrecked CV with CV salvage would be way too much for the starting planet, as you'd skip all the rest of the game right away.

Vermillion likes this.
  4. Scoob

Scoob Rear Admiral

Quite often you can do exactly that though, salvage enough parts on the starting planet, or its moon, to make a basic CV. Combine that with some lucky loot drops, and you've got a warp-capable CV before you even leave the starting planet. Not always possible, RNG loot and all, but something I do most of my play-throughs in vanilla and Reforged Eden. I'd say I've still barely scratched the surface of the game at that stage, even if I do have a CV early. It's not a great CV, basically a cargo hauler, but it's my CV :)

I've played the "let's not build a CV yet" game, and it often involved a frustrating amount of back and fort hauling salvage to a central base to ultimately build that first CV. It can be fun, warping around the system in a starting warp-SV, but only being able to carry small amounts of loot / resources is something I find very frustrating. Having a basic CV - no warp - for local planet, moon and space looting makes things far more enjoyable for me. I may still use an SV to warp elsewhere if I don't get some lucky finds, but it's rare I cannot cobble enough parts together for a basic CV quite early-on.

What I'm saying is that it's not like this particular wreck, outside of being plot related which I was not following, would give any major advantage over the other CV wrecks that can be found without having a warp-capable vessel.

When I was playing with the new Planetary starts in vanilla, I created a CV before leaving the planet. Did the same in my last RE game too - nice shiny warp capable CV before leaving the starting planet. There were several wrecked CV's to loot in that last one - RNG luck - so I had more than I needed.

If the devs want to slow things down for plot reasons, then having a POI with some loot for SV upgrades makes sense. I just don't like the whole "it looks like a CV, but it ain't a CV" thing. Personally, I'd keep it as a CV, but strip the good stuff off it, perhaps give it carbon blocks rather than steel if that's considered a problem.

I remember when there were functional CV's in orbit of the starting planet in vanilla. They had bits missing, but could be flown if the player added a Core, Fuel Tank, Generator and some other bits. They could then barely be flown down to the planet - more of a crash-landing really, but Empyrion physics don't really cover that - but could then be done up and restored to full flight worthiness. That was fun.

I think having ONE way the game has to be played - i.e. follow the plot and don't get any goodies you shouldn't - isn't a fit for what's essentially a sand box game. Sure, follow the plot if you like, get free items magically in your inventory as rewards. Great way to learn the game. However, for me, I far prefer to ignore the "tutorial" plot and go out on my own, finding an alternate way to play vs. the plot. I just so happened to find this plot POI by random chance - not following the plot remember - and was surprised how it'd been implemented.

Anyway, it's all good. Not being one to follow the plot (some do say I lost it long ago) I wasn't expecting one of these weird "hybrid" POI's, like we used to see in the vary early days when an old POI hadn't been converted to the then new S and L-Class blocks. I see why it is how it is, I just don't think it's the best way to try to slow down the player, especially considering what else if often available.

stanley bourdon likes this.
  5. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

Keep in mind though there's a difference between being able to salvage and loot enough resources from your starting planet to build a capital vessel, and being able to salvage enough resources to build a capital vessel from the very first wreck the starting mission sends you to.
    One has way more effort involved than the other.

6. Scoob

Scoob Rear Admiral

Fair point. Is this POI usually encountered very early then? It's rare I follow this early "tutorial" plot lines...cannot recall the last time I did.

However, if that POI were a "proper" CV wreck and I encountered it early what would I realistically get from it? No where near enough for a viable CV build even if the three thrusters were actual CV parts. Some Large Steel Blacks, sure, though ample Iron resources mean they're easy to craft. Personally, I'd just strip off the thrusters entirely as there's a free, almost complete, SV right there anyway.

What is still present though is very useful. A large Constructor, Fuel tanks (with fuel) O2 tanks (with O2), an Armour Locker, O2 Station, Fridge and Food Processor, Lights, Doors, O2 ventilators...lots of stuff that give a huge boost. Add to that the high-tier Window blocks that give Titanium. Adding in a few CV-Class Thrusters (which you'd likely just break down for components at that stage) and some steel plates / blocks... well, it seems the addition of proper CV thrusters really wouldn't make a huge difference until much later.

While I understand this is a vanilla thing, I still think there's a better way to implement this than a fake CV. Just strip off the Thrusters entirely and remove the higher-tech devices. I don't think proper steel blocks to salvage are a huge advantage. Btw: I have encountered a version of this POI which does have proper CV-Class blocks, it's guarded by Zirax Troops and there's a "prisoner" to free. That was the first time I encountered this particular POI, though in a slightly different form. I thought it was a Reforged Eden game.

I really quite like the salvage game and, upon seeing this POI, felt a bit short-changed when it had the wrong blocks on it. I see why it's done that way, but it's not an elegant solution. Plus, for a new player who could well be following this for the tutorial aspect, it sets a bad president on how the game actually works.

7. Othar

Othar Ensign

try the Star salvage scenario... it's exactly what you want...

8. Scoob

Scoob Rear Admiral

Tried it, had some weird issues. Need to revisit again.

9. stanley bourdon

stanley bourdon Captain

fixed guns should not look like turrets or at least have an alternate model that looks like a fixed gun

10. Vermillion

Vermillion Rear Admiral

Alternative models confirmed for future version.
    If spanj had RMB'd while holding a weapon a block shape menu pops up which is where alternative models will go.

11. stanley bourdon

stanley bourdon Captain

spanj being spanj. good to know.