Sound popping / crackling (Thrusters)

Discussion in 'Backlog' started by AbelYun, Jul 5, 2022.

1. AbelYun

AbelYun Ensign

For more information see here Bug Report Template

Build: 1.8.3 3849 05-04:26
    Mode: any/all
    Mode: any/all

SERVER NAME: any/all
    SEED-ID: irrelevant, happens on every world / server

If applicable:
    MODIFIED PLAYFIELDS:

Reproducibility: Always
    Severity: Minor

Type: Audio, Sound, Thruster, Noise

Summary: Thrusters produce a crackling / popping / /click static noise.

Description: Any time a thruster activates or apparently changes velocity, there's a very audible brief burst of static, like an click / pop / crackle.
    This happens constantly - and since there are no volume adjusters for individual sounds, the only solution for me thus far is to play the game silently or not fly a vehicle.
    I have searched for other bug reports about this issue, as well as fixes (in this forum and others, including off-website). Almost all of them were years old, none of them seemingly reported any fix.
    Some players are apparently lucky and do not experience it at all. I have attempted to change the device audio output to CD Quality, as that was the only solution I have found in a steam forum - though this did not help either.

Please also note that this is not limited to thrusters. Overlapping sounds and microstutters during loading screens such as planet transitions can also cause sound popping.
    However, these sounds are much more quiet and infrequent, thus this issue is much much less notable in those situations.

Steps to Reproduce:
    1) get in any vehicles with thrusters
    2) fly

Screenshots, Crash Logs, any other Relevant Information or Download links:
    You can even hear it in videos - strangely enough, if you skip through the video at any time during a section where the thrusters can be heard, the crackling happens constantly during the skipping.
    Example 1 (minor)
    Example 2 (much more noticable)
    I am sure you can find other examples on your own.

Additionally, your Bug Report guide states that any new post should include the prefix 'new'. However there is none. I also did not see new reports with that prefix. I assume you removed it because a lot of people forgot to add the prefix, or because it was deemed unnecessary. Please update the guide, as it may avoid confusion for any new players or new members of the community - such as myself.

Garaman likes this.
  2. AbelYun

AbelYun Ensign

Since I cannot make an edit to the post (i get an error that apparently I am posting spam), here are the updated video links, in hopes that the timestamps get saved this time:

Example 1 (minor) t=1899
    https://youtu.be/2owZEOgQfzA?t=1899

Example 2 (much more noticable) t=2538

I am sure you can find other examples on your own.

3. Garaman

Garaman Captain

This tends to happen on builds with a very large number of thrusters activating at the same time. It should manifest far less if you use a ship with fewer, but larger thrusters. But yes, it would be nice to get rid of the crackling effect with multiple overlapping sounds.

Germanicus likes this.