spatial audio is misleading / disable ambient audio only player workaround

Discussion in 'Experimental Features Discussion' started by imlarry425, Jun 11, 2023.

1. imlarry425

imlarry425 Captain

Note- while I know that there have been complaints on this issue in several general threads, I found no bug reference in either the experimental or general bugs under any subtopic (ps: we really need better search and potentially form entry of bug reports, specifically "Type", if you want us to be able to help with testing)

Build: v1.10 4214
    Mode: Survival, SP
    Seed-id: any
    Repo: always
    Severity: major
    Type: audio
    Description: The Akua Abandoned Base, one of two POIs on a beginner starter, is an excellent example of this problem and the first impression it forms. From the start both channels are saturated with screaming, chittering, and random footsteps coming from all directions at a single volume.

This latest release (experimental 1.10) seems to have amplified this problem to the point where I need to disable ambient audio in order to play the game.

Steps to repo: Put on headphones and try to run any POI with abominations.

2. Inappropriate

Inappropriate Captain

Quoting the most relevant and least incendiary part of my posts form Tactical play and POI's
    *1 minDistance would be useful for large objects that emit sound. The emitter should be at the center point of the object and the minDistance set to the furthest point of the objects bounding box to simulate the sound coming form the objects surface. There is no reason to have this set for small objects.
    *2 Its not exactly clear to me how spatialBlend works based on the documentation. Someone with experience actually working with Unit please correct me if I'm wrong.

The linked thread has a lengthy discussion about this and theory's about possible improvements.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2023
  3. imlarry425

imlarry425 Captain

Greatly improved with latest drop, thanks!