Not a bug Still No Carbon Substrate On Start

Discussion in 'Archive (Read Only)' started by Our Grid, Jan 22, 2023.

1. Our Grid

Our Grid Captain

For more information see here Bug Report Template

Build:Current
    Mode:Survival
    Mode:Multi

SERVER NAME:Our Grid
    SEED-ID: 1011345

If applicable:
    MODIFIED PLAYFIELDS:

Reproducibility:Every player
    Severity Pretty game limiting

Type:Missing resource

Summary: No Carbon Substrate

Description:Another player and myself have "moon-scaped" a large radius around our start and still never found carbon substrate. We have piles of iron, copper, silicon even some prom. We are on the Akua/Sultry stellarspit start. This is like my 10th play through and by far the worst sticking point I've ever seen in this game.

Steps to Reproduce:
    1) Start game
    2)
    3)

Screenshots, Crash Logs, any other Relevant Information or Download links:

2. Pach

Pach Rear Admiral

Running a mod/scenario on this server? The default starts have tons of carbon on them.

Germanicus likes this.
  3. Our Grid

Our Grid Captain

Nada, we play total vanilla.

Another observation is that alien bugs/crickets chase you clear across the map now, in groups. That is really not good. We even found a motorcycle and rode all over the map now and have busted everything we can find. The wreckage are 95% just blocks. We have a single piece of carbon from a console now. Going to shelve it again and will try next update. No one wants to continue. Bizarre that it is made from rocks, and all the rocks we broke don't provide even one piece. By the way, what happened to EO Updater? Is that dead? No file since 2019 and we could not get it working again.

4. The Big Brzezinski

The Big Brzezinski Captain

What of the carbon deposits? Did any of them provide carbon substrate?

5. Our Grid

Our Grid Captain

None found. I saw that one player's tip about black rocks, and we have used the detector to scan down plenty of copper, iron etc. In the map view there are none listed but I don't think they show there anyway. Steam says I have 1559.7 hours in this game now, so it is far from our first go around. We shut it down and are all playing Stationeers for now. :) Here are the game options, we only changed "Drop Pack Only" and upped to "Rich & Plenty"

Options:
    - ValidFor:
    - MP
    - Survival
    ProtectTime: 24
    ProtectDelay: 1800
    MaxStructures: 500
    EnableVolumeWeight: true
    EnableCPUPoints: true
    GroundedStructureSpawn: false
    TurretUndergroundCheck: true
    DespawnEscapePod: true
    DiffEscapePodContent: Easy
    DiffPlayerBackpackDrop: DropBagOnly
    DiffAmountOfOre: Rich
    DiffNumberOfDeposits: Plenty
    DiffDronePresence: High
    DiffConstrCraftTime: Faster
    DiffBpProdTime: Faster
    GroundedStructureSpawn: False

Last edited: Jan 22, 2023
  6. Pach

Pach Rear Admiral

Sounds like you are playing MP... which option(s) are you taking to start the game? Are you selecting a scenario? If so, which one?

Germanicus likes this.
  7. Escarli

Escarli Rear Admiral

Using default multiplayer (which I presume you're using) the resources are right there at the starting point, and there are carbon deposits on each of them as well, found each of them within seconds of landing.

Only the last one did I have to travel a tiny bit further but literally went up the hill I had landed next to and bingo there it was.

If you didn't use default multiplayer but default random (which is the single player survival game) then the results would still be the same.

Edit:
    Then of course there's the carbon meteorites that spawn for when the carbon deposits have been completely mind out. Using your seed I get the same results, carbon easily available.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 22, 2023
    Germanicus likes this.
  8. Our Grid

Our Grid Captain

We are using default multi. That is crazy. we have busted every rock in a Km radius and have never seen one of those. Going to wipe and start a new save.

Germanicus likes this.
  9. Pach

Pach Rear Admiral

I just started a coop game, using default multi, and they were there (see image below).

Recommend whoever is hosting verifies files, or even does a full reinstall: it sounds like something isn't right on the host's end.

EDIT: side-note: when you select the start world, it should say that it has CARBON as a starting resource in the info screen.

[​IMG]

Germanicus likes this.
  10. Our Grid

Our Grid Captain

We will look for this when starting over.

Germanicus and Pach like this.
  11. Pach

Pach Rear Admiral

Another note:

You should be able to make it from crushed rock in the portable constructor.

If it has a different recipe (the old one was crushed rock and fiber, iirc), then something is wrong with the files where it's being hosted/started.

Please let us know if you still have issues, but I suspect an uninstall/reinstall would fix it (worst case).

Germanicus likes this.
  12. The Big Brzezinski

The Big Brzezinski Captain

You cannot make a portable constructor without first finding carbon, Pach.

Germanicus likes this.
  13. Pach

Pach Rear Admiral

Any constructor will tell you the recipe... if you find one in a POI for example.

And if you find one in a POI, you can make enough to make the PC, and go from there.

However, there still should be tons of carbon on the start world, and it's really weird that these folks aren't seeing it.

Germanicus likes this.
  14. Our Grid

Our Grid Captain

Yep, precisely what you said. And any attempt to approach a POI that might have a constructor is met with gunfire and death when we only have the little pew pew tool lol. We are going to wipe and try again next weekend.

15. Pach

Pach Rear Admiral

If you started on Akua, there should be friendly POIs.

All this smacks of an old scenario, that didn't get updated for some reason.

Germanicus likes this.
  16. Our Grid

Our Grid Captain

Started a new game with Seed 1234567 and again found Iron rocks Everywhere, not one Carbon. No Carbon deposits in map either, 1 Gold deposit above the regular (weird huh). Wiped the entire server directory and am reinstalling now. There HAS to be some old file that was screwing this up.

EDIT: Took total wipe of server files and reinstall, now Akua says right on the description that it has Carbon. Just landed: There is literally carbon everywhere. Thanks for the replies all :)

Pach likes this.
  17. Pach

Pach Rear Admiral

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So glad you got it fixed!

Happy Empyrioning! (stomp through an Abandoned POI for me ;) )

18. Our Grid

Our Grid Captain

Thank you! Yes we are having fun talking to the Talon Chief and others - that is new since our last go around and I like it. Also, It looks like some of the circuit logic stuff that was broken is working good again Yay! The planet itself is breathtaking to look at.

Pach likes this.