[Tool] EmpyrionStuff - EPB read/write

Discussion in 'The Hangar Bay' started by Apan Loon, Jun 7, 2018.

1. Apan Loon

Apan Loon Lieutenant

I created a binary release on GitHub. It is highly likely that you need to install .Net framework v4.5.2 or later for epb and EPBLab to work. In regards to ecf, you'll probably need .Net Core v2.2 or later installed. But the use of ecf is extremely limited right now. I only use it to generate block type definitions that I later compile into epb and EPBLab. So you'll probably not have much use for it anyway.

Also, the use of EPBLab is quite limited, yes, you can load EPB files and examine them, but you can't really do anything with them. There is a "Save As" button and it works, but since you can't really create or change anything, the point is rather blunt.

The "New" button creates a blueprint with all shapes of SV steel blocks in a grid. I use this for reference when modelling by own shapes - shapes I have no geometry for are shown as cubes, but loading this blueprint into the game show how they should look.

Oh, one control that isn't really mentioned anywhere is that you can hit "f" when a block is selected in the block view to focus on that block and using the scroll wheel to move closer and farther back also moves the focus point. If you want to orbit the selected block after using the scroll wheel, hit "f" again.

EDIT: It might help if I also provide the link: https://github.com/ApanLoon/EmpyrionStuff/releases/tag/0.1

EDIT 2: If you test this, please let me know if it works, what doesn't and what you would like to see fixed first. :)

Myrmidon likes this.
  2. Apan Loon

Apan Loon Lieutenant

Oops. I just noticed that the version I just uploaded can't save the blueprint generated by the "New" button. I fixed it already but won't make a new release right away. If you want to play with that particular blueprint, I uploaded it here.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2019
  3. Apan Loon

Apan Loon Lieutenant

I updated the summary view and added editable fields for many values:

EPBLab-SummaryView002.png

4. Apan Loon

Apan Loon Lieutenant

I realise that it is a bit late, but the current version can actually do this now. :)

The binary release from yesterday still has a read-only field, but the committed source has a writable text field for the name of signal sources. It doesn't automatically try to update any signal targets or signal operators that might be listening to it yet. I will add a feature request for an option to do that on my GitHub repository so that I won't forget.

The previous caveat is still in effect - even though I added writing of a lot of data recently, I still only save the parts that were available in v20 of the file format. So files saved in game now (v23) may have data that will be washed away by opening and saving in EPBLab. Most notable things are custom palette and filler blocks. As long as you don't use any of the more recent features, this shouldn't cause too many issues.

5. Fenra369

Fenra369 Commander

I would also suggest you make it an executable of some kind... I don't have VB to run this code.

6. Apan Loon

Apan Loon Lieutenant

I published a new release >here<.

EDIT: I have not done any extensive testing confirming that all information of a v20 blueprint pass through the EPBLab Load/Save process. I would appreciate feedback, either here or directly on GitHub.

7. Apan Loon

Apan Loon Lieutenant

Another release:
    • Added toolbar for constructing various structures
    • Made meta tag values editable
    • Added read-only view of device groups
    • Added BlockVariant names for all block types - Thanks Taelyn for the assistance
    • Added block names from A10.2.0-2482
    >Download<

It seems as if my server has died, so no screenshot this time.

8. Apan Loon

Apan Loon Lieutenant

My server is still down - the GFX card burned up after many years of 24/7 service. I made a temporary patch so that the images I post might still be accessible and also so I can upload the image I wanted to show with the release:

EPBLab-CreateStructures001.png

9. Apan Loon

Apan Loon Lieutenant

Added a way to enter parameters for positioning and sizing structures.

EPBLab-CreateStructures002.png

Myrmidon likes this.
  10. Apan Loon

Apan Loon Lieutenant

Now exposes block tags.

EPBLab-BlockTags001.png

Myrmidon likes this.
  11. Apan Loon

Apan Loon Lieutenant

Release v0.4 - afflatus
    EPBLab
    • Added sphere structure building command
    • Added parameters to the structure building commands
    • Shows block tags in the block inspector
    • Structure commands now use a default block type that is allowed in the current blueprint type
    • Bugfix: Creation of Media3D objects is handled asynchronously so that EPBLab no longer crashes on huge blueprints

epb/EPBLib
    • Identified some more meta tags
    • Identified DoorCount and SolidsCount
    • Guessed what blocks are allowed in what blueprints and made the "All blocks" structure building command take this into account
    • First attempt at counting blocks using guessed groupings
    • Added block types

EPBLab-BlockView6.png

>Download<

12. Apan Loon

Apan Loon Lieutenant

After adding the "sphere" generator I got inspired and started filling in a mini-Death Star CV with a radius of 60 blocks - it feels humongous. Here is the generator room, almost an "Alien" feel to it:

Generator Room.png

This thing has more than 45000 blocks and it is still mostly hollow. :)

P.S. I hope that I didn't notification-spam anyone to death - I uploaded all the images that I previously only linked to. For some reason I didn't realise that I can upload images here even though my very first post in this thread has an attachment. o_O

Attached Files: