Fixed Unity Crash

Discussion in 'Fixed (Read Only)' started by Stampy, Aug 17, 2021.

1. Stampy

Stampy Lieutenant

Build: v1.5.6 3446
    Mode: Single Player
    Mode: Survival

SERVER NAME: N/A
    SEED-ID: 921759

If applicable:
    MODIFIED PLAYFIELDS:

Reproducibility: always (just takes a bit)
    Severity: Severe

Type: Unity Crash

Summary: Unity Crashes when harvesting

Description: While harvesting trees in a harvester HV (happens with ore, too, but trees are easier to find to reproduce the error) the game will freeze, a unity pop-up will open, and then the program crashes).

Steps to Reproduce:
    1) Start a vanilla game (happens in Reforged Eden too but the attached screen shot and logs are from a straight vanilla load).
    2) Bring in a harvester HV (I used one from the workshop called Termite made for Reforged Eden but works in Vanilla).
    3) Harvest trees (I usually hit around 150-200 logs before it happens).

Screenshots, Crash Logs, any other Relevant Information or Download links:

Attached Files:

2. Germanicus

Germanicus Rear Admiral

3. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

There are lots of "Termite" HV on the workshop. Which one is it ?

https://steamcommunity.com/workshop/browse/?appid=383120&searchtext=Termite&childpublishedfileid=0&browsesort=textsearch&section=items&requiredtags[]=Hover+Vessel

There are lots of other things to check before just throwing away a working driver and messing up things. I never update drivers, mine date back many years ago, and I never get GPU driver-related crashes in Empyrion nor in most other games.

The crash is about an invalid address, so this can be anything related to memory management. Using a harvester on a forest means destroying lots of objects, and Unity may have one thread looking for an object at an address where the object has been already removed by another thread, or it may be a null pointer reference, etc. This can be related to shaders not being found and not having a fallback shader (default), can even be the antivirus interfering, etc.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2021
    Germanicus likes this.
  4. Stampy

Stampy Lieutenant

That's the one I'm using. I work IT and I can't help but keep drivers up to date, and system patched. :)

This one: SSW Termite

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2290765314

Germanicus likes this.
  5. Pantera

Pantera Administrator Staff Member

• Developer
    I went over 1000 logs & didn't have a crash when doing a check for this just now I was wondering are you smashing into trees or slowing doing & stopping when you get close enough to them ?

Also can you attach the crashes folder that was generated ? it should be in one of these locations:
    C:\Users\<YourUserName>\AppData\LocalLow\Eleon Game Studios\Empyrion - Galactic Survival
    C:\Users\<YourUserName>\AppData\Local\Temp\Eleon Game Studios\Empyrion - Galactic Survival

Germanicus likes this.
  6. Stampy

Stampy Lieutenant

Attached are the files in the crash log. Game is unplayable at the moment. I verified files in steam (no errors or problems) and still got crashes so I uninstalled and reinstalled and still the game crashes. It's not just when I harvest trees, it happens all the time. Harvesting trees was just the easiest way to trigger it for me to reproduce in vanilla.

Attached Files:

Germanicus likes this.
  7. Aliensrre@l

Aliensrre@l Ensign

I have similar issue, game crashes constantly. Tried few thing with new drivers and couple stuff on steam, nothing works.

Attached Files:

8. Pantera

• Developer
    There is no crash dump file where you are getting these logs from ? that's why I was asking if you can supply the folder that was generated.

Germanicus likes this.
  9. Stampy

Stampy Lieutenant

Sorry, thought I included all 3 files. It's from the C:\Users\<YourUserName>\AppData\Local\Temp\Eleon Game Studios\Empyrion - Galactic Survival location. I zipped it up and attached.

There is no crash folder in the other location you asked for and the files are over a year old so they probably aren't relevant.

Attached Files:

Germanicus likes this.
  10. Pantera

• Developer
    It appears to be a memory crash that no one else appears to have reported afaik can you also attach a dxdiag ?

Please try the following to see if any of these help:

- Uninstall your current GPU drivers with DDU (this is to try a "fresh" driver installation) in windows safe mode more information is here for the tool https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html then reinstall the same drivers when you get back in to windows (out of safe mode)

- Uninstall NVIDIA Geforce experience

- Try experimenting with rolling back to previous driver versions such as this one https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/geforce-460-79-whql-driver-download.html
    Uninstall your current GPU drivers with DDU in windows safe mode more information is here for the tool https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html then reinstall the same drivers

- Force the nvidia gpu to run the game:
    Check in the NVIDIA Control panel that your dedicated GPU is selected for the game. To do this open the NVIDIA Control panel:
    1. Click on 'Manage 3D settings'
    2. Then select the 'Programs' tab
    3. Select Empyrion Galactic Survival (Empyrion.exe) from the drop down list under 'Select a program to customize' or if it is not visible in the list go to 4
    4. Select 'Add' if 'Empyrion Galactic Survival (Empyrion.exe)' isn't in the dropdown list of 'Select a program to customize' & in the list of 'Recently used' programs select 'Empyrion Galactic Survival (Empyrion.exe)' or use the browser option & navigate to the Empyrion galactic survival\Client folder & select Empyrion.exe
    5. Now with 'Empyrion Galactic Survival (Empyrion.exe)' selected scroll down until you find the option called 'CUDA - GPU's' & select it & click on the right side for the drop down box to appear
    6. Now make sure only the Dedicated GPU is selected select the option 'Use these GPU's' make sure only the dedicated GPU has a tick in the box next to it. If you can see 'Intel HD' in this list also make sure it is unticked.
    7. Click ok then in the bottom right a option should appear with a box 'Apply' select apply
    View attachment 73093

- Try running memtest search for "If there is a memory/RAM error found it could indicate a faulty RAM module." near the bottom of this post for more info:

https://empyriononline.com/threads/troubleshooting-guide.98133/#post-386057

Germanicus likes this.
  11. Germanicus

Germanicus Rear Admiral

Looks as if I wasn't completely wrong...

12. Aliensrre@l

Aliensrre@l Ensign

Can you please take a look at my case, can't play game for few days now. Crashing all the time, here are my files!

Attached Files:

13. Stampy

Stampy Lieutenant

Dxdiag attached.

First I removed GeForce Experience, since that was the easiest step. Started a fresh vanilla game, cheated in the hover vehicle, and started harvesting trees. got 600+ logs (about 10 minutes of steady harvesting on the temperate starter planet) and then Unity crash error as before.

Used DDU as suggested and wiped the driver clean off the computer. Figured it made sense to install an older version at this time, so I did as I had the installer saved in my downloads folder. Installed previous version without GeForce Experience ("clean install"), completed install, rebooted the computer, launched the game, started a fresh vanilla game, cheated in the same hover vehicle, murdered trees for about 20 minutes before it crashed.

Patched the driver to the latest version (again, no GeForce Experience, again selected "clean install"), completed install, rebooted computer, launched the game started the same vanilla game, Unity crashed after 3 trees harvested.

Used DDU again as suggested, reinstalled the previous version as clean install without GeForce Experience, loaded the same vanilla save, Unity crashed after about 500ish logs were harvested (about 10 minutes).

Ran the memtest, no issues with ram.

NVIDIA control panel already had GPU selected, with nothing else, so no change there.

I borrowed a 3060 from a friend, same issues and still get those weird video lag jitters others have complained about on the forums (thought that might have been my 1070 but appears not).

Game is unplayable. I have over 2000 hours without issues, but the last 2 hours since 1.5 came out is comprised of constant crashes. I'm going to try rolling all the way back to April 2020 driver (445.87). Nope, that didn't work, couldn't even install it. Trying 466.77. Nope, crashed again.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 20, 2021
    Germanicus likes this.
  14. TheDistinguishedFish

TheDistinguishedFish Ensign

I am having identical problems using an RX470 and Radeon drivers.

Seems terrain deformation like harvesting trees and mining trigger it most, though I've had some interesting terrain glitches after crashing while salvaging buried CVs etc.

Im mobile currently, will post crash dump when I make it home.

Similar experience though. Been with the game since A6.7 (1800+ hrs) and know the troubleshooting drill well lol. Can't seem to find a cause on my end.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 21, 2021
  15. Germanicus

Germanicus Rear Admiral

One could think that its actually Win10 that does not like Unity because I have win7 and it crashed not once for me.

TheDistinguishedFish likes this.
  16. Stampy

Stampy Lieutenant

I have other Unity based games that don't have issues. I see other reported bugs about the game crashing. I hope they find a fix.

17. Pantera

• Developer
    Germanicus likes this.
  18. Stampy

Stampy Lieutenant

Replied on the experimental thread, but putting it here, too.

I'm cautiously optimistic, seems like it is fixed. I started a new vanilla game, cheated in the same HV I've been using to test, started on the temperate starter and was able to murder several hundred trees without a Unity error. Occasionally there was some very severe graphic stutter just as the tree was harvested, which is when it would crash before, but the game recovers and continues to work.

Thanks! Looking forward to getting back into the thick of it!