v1.6

Discussion in 'Patch Notes' started by Pantera, Sep 21, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ente

Ente Commander

Well, actually I suspect more this one:
    - Updated PostProcessing

And while I didn't read all unity patch notes since 2021.1.14, at least a quick search didn't bring up any changes to the effect since then.

The effect itself isn't new, neither to unity nor to empyrion, as far as I am aware. Its just very strong now, which might be an intentional design decision or an unintentional side-effect/bug. Just curious.

Germanicus and KRanKO5 like this.
  2. marko0280

marko0280 Ensign

a bit much? game is dark as hell now, can't see half of the things in my ship...all i can see are all the damn reflections on devices inside my ship that come from the sun trough multiple layers of blocks...magic?
    and if i try to turn the lights on, my eyes burn from the brightness...

stanley bourdon likes this.
  3. bcbarnes

bcbarnes Lieutenant

@Taelyn,

Thanks for the help. Yes - I now have the new models. Sorry for the trouble.

4. stanley bourdon

stanley bourdon Captain

I have the brightness turned all the way up, it is still way too dark. This is unpleasant. Please fix this

5. Garaman

Garaman Captain

Noticing some really strange effects with this new post-processing. First is that the screen-space reflections seem to be reflecting off of surfaces that are impossible for the emissive surface to reflect off of. Here is an example of a block with just the close side lit. You can see the reflection off of the entire top and back of the hangar bay behind the light:
    upload_2021-9-22_0-18-25.png

The other is the super-aggressive SSAO. Below are screenshots with graphics options turned down completely, except for shadows on low to hide the sun (SSAO is off, in theory). The first shows a window that was previously visible but is now "shadowed" in darkness:
    upload_2021-9-22_0-21-6.png

This would be fine, but as you back away further the shadowing effect bleeds out massively and eventually shrouds the entire corner in darkness, including visibly changing the brightness and tone of the striped wall above it:
    upload_2021-9-22_0-21-57.png

I believe this is the cause of all of the "too dark" complaints now. It has vastly changed the toning of the game and hides a great amount of detail at distance, but more importantly the toning seems to now be highly variable depending on your view angle and distance. It has seemingly lost quite a bit of consistency that used to be present before.

6. Germanicus

Germanicus Rear Admiral

My goodness....the 'it's too dark'-Faction has re-emerged!:eek:

Wherever there is no light(in Space AND on Planets) their is Darkness.

Before the Reset to have it dark again it was so bright on Planets at night that you did not even have to use Night Vision Goggles anymore. :(THAT was wrong:(.
    I am hopefully that it stays so DARK!:rolleyes:

The night is dark and full of Horrors...:p

KRanKO5, derniedersachse and Ravis like this.
  7. Lichtbold

Lichtbold Lieutenant

This "updated postprocessing" is looking like a massive optical downgrade: every planetary surface is drowned in milky fog, previously snow covered mountain tops are now covered with a uniform white surface, there's no longer any real view distance and switching off the weather system has no effect at all. Since I've primarily enjoyed finding nice landscapes with a great view in previous game versions this update has completely ruined the game for me.

8. Stan2112

Stan2112 Lieutenant

The new SSAO (or whatever your new post processing is now) is ridiculously overdone. There was nothing wrong with it before v1.6. Things that were dark were dark, things that were lit were lit. Everything that was properly lit before is now a shadowy detail-less blob.

Why is there any shadow here at all in the intersection (it's about a 105* angle) - it's receiving direct close illumination?
    [​IMG]

Noon sun directly overhead, why is there a blob around the tank? It can't be cloudy and sunny at the same time.
    [​IMG]

Again, sun directly over head, why is there so much shadowing in the corners of horizontal surfaces?
    [​IMG]

Whatever the intent was for the post processing, the result is a mess and terribly unpleasant and beneficial to no one. All carefully placed, aimed, and configured lights look terrible on ships and will have to be redone.

9. Nimroy

Nimroy Ensign

Are the new post-processing changes meant to increase FPS? It was unclear why they were made.

Regardless it feels like something unintended happened with the lightning due to those changes.
    Maybe some people like it, but I would really like to adjust it or turn it off to fix the lighting

Lichtbold and stanley bourdon like this.
  10. Scoob

Scoob Rear Admiral

Hi,

I applied this update today (v1.6.1 3510 at the time of typing this) and symmetry plane no longer works at all for me. During the experimental, I got to play with this feature and all was well, now, it simply does not work. I've started a fresh game, placed down an HV starter and Symmetry Plane is still not working.

Is anyone else seeing this or am I unique here? I've tried save / reload cycles needless to say to no avail.

Edit: I did get it working, but it's odd how I did it. I was trying to use the "YZ" plane for this particular build, not needing any other planes. This did not work. I then tried the "XY" plane which also did not work - I tried this multiple times. I then tried the "XZ" plane (the middle option) and it worked. I was then able to selected the other two options (individually) and they work now too.

So, this is really weird in that "YZ" and "XY" will not work for me until I first select (then un-select) the "XZ" option.

Scoob.

11. Germanicus

Germanicus Rear Admiral

Sag mal was hast du denn geraucht? :oops:Und wo bekommt man das Zeug?;)

Nur so zur Info... Du hast einer EULA beim Kauf des Games zugestimmt - heir nachzulesen
    https://empyriongame.com/terms-of-service-eula/

zum Zweiten...Sprache... von wegen keine Weltsprache
    Rang
    1 Chinesisch ZHO China 33 1.197.000.000
    2 Spanisch SPA Spanien 31 414.000.000
    3 Englisch ENG Vereinigtes Königreich 99 335.000.000
    4 Hindi HIN Indien 4 260.000.000
    5 Arabisch ARA Saudi-Arabien 60 237.000.000
    6 Portugiesisch POR Portugal 12 203.000.000
    7 Bengalisch BEN Bangladesh 4 193.000.000
    8 Russisch RUS Russland 16 167.000.000
    9 Japanisch JPN Japan 3 122.000.000
    10 Javanisch JAV Indonesien 3 84.300.000
    11 Lahnda LAH Pakistan 6 82.600.000
    12 Deutsch DEU Deutschland 18 78.200.000----->

12. Taelyn

Taelyn Guest

I highly recommend to read our ToS at https://empyriongame.com/terms-of-service-eula/
    And our Community Rules at https://empyriongame.com/community-rules/

This kind of behaviour is not needed and not wanted

13. Scoob

Scoob Rear Admiral

Hi,

While I'm really happy the ability to knock down trees etc. is back, I'm experiencing some odd physics quite often when this occurs. I have a fairly basic HV, a little on the heavy side (can't manage top speed and takes a few seconds to get there) that drifts like a very drifty thing. However, when I'm going directly forward and hit a tree, while the tree is knocked down, I'm regularly being flipped 180 degrees to face the opposite direction, ALL forward momentum being lost. Physics appears to be behaving as if the tree is immoveable the moment of the collision, causing the extreme effect, and only after the impact does the tree stop being a solid object.

I recall, albeit not too clearly, being able to plough through forests of trees in a heavy HV without being knocked off course when this feature was last enabled. Currently though, while I have a heavy HV capable of knocking over trees with ease, even going slowly (under 10ms) it's regularly flipped 180 degrees (horizontally, to be clear) to face the opposite direction.

The current experience is like my HV is sticking on the tree for a brief moment - just like HV's used to do with those annoying "stick" trees near the poles of some planets - and all momentum pivoting around the sticking point. Then the tree falls over but only after said flip and all velocity along the prior vector is lost. Hope I'm explaining clearly.

Note: I can see similar behaviour when landing a very heavy CV on a bunch of trees, the CV bounces around for a moment as if it weighs nothing. Not the epic squashing of half a forest it should be lol.

Edit: I've noticed that this issue appears to only occur if I'm using the cruise ability - i.e. I've used Ctrl + w to set a fixed speed. If however I'm simply holding w my HV happily smashes through any trees, barely being knocked of course at all. Using cruise mode break the physics it appears, try it, drive an HV through a load of trees both manually and while using cruise.

Scoob.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2021
  14. michaelhartman89

michaelhartman89 Rear Admiral

Desperately need good combat and better AI tracking. It needs crewmembers that don't just stand there, and npcs that are moving around the stations and flying freighters.....

Jacoviz likes this.
  15. ASTIC

ASTIC Captain

Germanicus likes this.
  16. Mirosya

Mirosya Commander

dark game :D

17. Tsnonak

Tsnonak Ensign

... actually kind of unclear to me exactly which areas are being referred to without markers...
    If these are the areas ment to be the focus... looks more like vertical shading to me, which is to be expected depending on the exact location of the sun.
    I could also imagine it being done this way to speedup processing (does seem just a little harsh / set too high).
    EGS-SHADING.jpg

Last edited: Oct 4, 2021
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.