What did you do in Empyrion today?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Slam Jones, Oct 17, 2015.

1. Scoob

Scoob Rear Admiral

That's for the reply, I appreciate it. I'm glad to hear it's working really rather well for you....I had such problems lol. I may go back and revisit some of my earlier design ideas in my current game. I do all my building in Survival and I'm currently sat on a very secure Akua with a few other projects laying around...fingers crossed I get some time to play.

Scoob.

2. banksman45

banksman45 Rear Admiral

Doing some more texturing on this ship. They must have fixed the Class system because right now my ship is a class 3 but I haven't finished the interior yet but still that's really good.

Screenshot (632).png

Screenshot (633).png
    Did a little weapons testing too.

Screenshot (649).png

3. Furious Hellfire

Furious Hellfire Rear Admiral

4. Furious Hellfire

I decided to test the idea of a closed elevator shaft , some of you might be curious as to how well that would work ?

I started off building an 3x3 elevator shaft as the centre core structure for a large build.
    I lined the the walls with glass as it looks cool watching the elevator going up and down :p

I made a cv 3x3x5 and lined the interior walls with glass too, it has o2 and sealed.
    Of course the elevator shaft itself can easily be sealed and hold o2, so we could detach the glass walls inside the carriage and add more seats instead as at present this setup will only take 1 passenger.

The carriage works perfectly !!! and can be easily dropped in from the top after attaching some maneuvering thrusters on the roof to be detached after.
    Simply cut out a hole in the glass elevator shaft for your entry to a given floor.

The concept is sound at this point, would be cool to see someone use this idea in builds ! please be inspired.
    1.png

3.png

2.png

4.png

vicomt, Wild_XIII, banksman45 and 7 others like this.
  5. Furious Hellfire

It just occurred to me that my skyloft deal has all the main components in the sky, gen core tanks, on the ground is only steel, so how are the drones going to react to this when spawned in survival ? as they stopped attacking in my game before I moved all those devices to the sky so I don't know what might happen, will they go all the way up lol ? this would mean drones would take twice as long to get to your base XD
    Assuming they can even go that high up !

Accidentally built a cheeky survival gem here I think XD

Tyrax Lightning and rucky like this.
  6. Fractalite

Fractalite Rear Admiral

I went rummaging through your ships yesterday and found a great fondness for the Raum. The trick is that the outer ring is largely decorative and I was evaluating for the purposes of seeing if your ships could used for survival or converted to survival use Edit: and the ring is a lot of extra iron. Although the Raum could go this route(and god I love that engineering room/section) sadly once you remove the ring, it looks a little silly. :(

So that lead me to the messenger! Which I am about 30% along revamping. Your designs are very clever Neal, it is a joy to work on them. :) I will post my work here when I am finished(including BP.)

Last edited: Sep 3, 2017
    Tyrax Lightning likes this.
  7. Fractalite

Fractalite Rear Admiral

About 10 months ago I built a derelict space elevator. The carriage is at the top of this page: http://empyriononline.com/threads/special-wreckage-artefacts-ruins.7383/page-3 and the base station is at the bottom of the previous. I love your designs! I realize it is all theoretical at this point but you can snazziafy it if you want to. Maybe have spars reaching upwards above and below? :)

8. Aeri

Aeri Commander

Crazy elevator idea. The block limit is 250 in any direction not enough to make it to space but CV docking pads can also be 1X1 right? If you stacked docked CVS could you get to space in an elevator?

9. Scoob

Scoob Rear Admiral

@Furious Hellfire - I'm still amazed this is working so well for you. Tell me, do you have any problem lining up the CV / BA initially? I used to get LOTS of clipping - and resulting launch into orbit - when I tested this previously.

As this method does appear to be working fairly well now, I wonder if Eleon would consider adding official multi-block elevators? I.e. rather that then lift being a separate vessel, it could actually be part of the main vessel? This would facilitate vehicle lifts, something I've wanted for a while - I'm a little worn out building ramps for my HV's to exit underground bases, and being able to use something similar to load them onto CV's would be epic.

Scoob.

10. Neal

Neal Rear Admiral

Nice!
    I'm curious about your changes.
    We all know how awesome your builds are and i feel really honored that you are working on one of my creations.

About the Ring structure, i initially planned it as a place to install energy Shields and long range sensors when the day comes.
    So they may have some real purpose some day.

11. michaelhartman89

michaelhartman89 Rear Admiral

This is where a programmable block would come in handy

12. Furious Hellfire

@Fractalite I just carried on building a base around that shaft lol.

I did find one issue, you can surround the elevators 3x3 shaft with windows or blocks no problem, but if you place a door there, it catches and will not pass the door, even though the door is outside and facing outwards, strange, though i made a simple 3 L shapes of glass to have the door 1 block away from the shaft, no problems.

test.png

@Scoob On the skyloft lining up the carriage with that tether was really easy, its a little harder getting this elevator into the top of a building though, still though it goes in and runs perfectly inside.
    I wish we had a thruster % lever for ships so i could cut the thrust to say 10% of max for a nice slow ascent :D

I also have a base with a mounting and docking hatch for a corresponding cv to dock into in much the same way by slipping in perfectly between the blocks ^-^

During all of these builds and tests I have not been launched anywhere, it it running better than i thought.

13. Scoob

Scoob Rear Admiral

I'm still quite astounded that it all works so well, Eleon must have done a fair bit of work on the physics side of things. Quite eager to play myself... :)

Scoob.

14. Furious Hellfire

Indeed there were a some physics recalculations a few patches back that helped toward this.

15. Fractalite

Fractalite Rear Admiral

Hear ye, Hear ye!

Come one, come all to witness the most amazing of spectacles!

The most astounding of sights!

The most impossible of endeavors!

We shall be witness to an extravagance that most men refer to in myths and fables. Kieve, that most fabulous of tigers, has decided to answer a call that would blacken most mens souls; he has taken up my challenge to build a CV entirely from half-blocks! *crowd gasps in fear and amazement*

I will relate to you the events as they un-folded:

I was tweaking and working on Neal's ship the OSC Messenger, when I began to comment most rudely *crowd boos in contempt* about his use of half-blocks. Kieve detected my frustration and we began a most neutral exchange about them that ended, or was interjected by, a comment from yours truly;

"Haha"
    "You can't"
    "Not even you"
    "Could pull off that monster"

To which the infinite and mighty Kieve, never one to back down from the unsightliness of the half-blocks, responded thusly:

"monster?"
    "Oh it is on"

So began a challenge most magnificent!

The stipulations:

Must be all half blocks... or curved(because, lets be honest, you cannot do it. :D:p:eek:)
    Less than 20k iron ingots(ideally 15)
    Level 10
    Must have a definable bridge and quarters for guest(thank you Neal)
    An engine compartment
    Cannot use Zascosium or Erestrum
    Must be an actual ship, not a block or random assembly
    Must use all 6 cannon turrets
    Must have a decent view of the ground in at least 3 areas
    Must have a hangar with at least a hangar door of dimensions 6 x 3.

Onward! To the building!

*crowd loudly cheers on Kieve as he begins to assemble blocks*

Edit: Addendum on the "Must be all half blocks" - essentially to be defined as any block where are least half of the wireframe is not filled in(and curved blocks :D)

Last edited: Sep 3, 2017
  16. Kieve

Kieve Rear Admiral

Sir, you are the devil. And I say that in the most amicable way possible.
    [​IMG]

17. Furious Hellfire

So in the end I managed to build a fairly awesome base with an enclosed CV elevator, will be released in next couple of days after furnishing, sooo much space inside...

Elevator leads to roof now as you can see, and still runs perfect.
    office1.png office2.png office3.png office4.png office6.png office7.png

Starwing6, rucky, Dinkelsen and 6 others like this.
  18. Tyrax Lightning

Tyrax Lightning Rear Admiral

Maybe ya could make the bigger one a Arrowhead Shape to go with your current Circular Shape? :)

Or mash Circular & Arrowhead together & see what happens. :p

AAAaaaannnnddd that's what happens when ya forget to survive. :p

The Armored Doors's bottom area sticks into the adjacent Block Space a little. This is especially noticable if ya stick a Armored Door directly up against a Elevator Block, then go into the Elevator Block, then just below it, then look up at the section of Elevator Block near the connection between the Elevator Block & the Armored Door. Alas, this has to be put up with if one wants to have Maximum Door Strength protecting access to & from that Elevator.

I'm rootin for ya Kieve! :D

*Plays Eye of the Tiger Song*

19. JinM

JinM Lieutenant

Can't those cv elevators not be controled by logic instead of a cockpit? Or is it not enough thrust if you just activate a thruster without pressing a button?

20. Furious Hellfire

I had thought about that, and now you mention it if i have a switch for up and a switch for down, each switch disables opposing thruster, I wonder if the idle thrust will push it ^-^
    Problem then is getting it to stop on the floor you want from a seated position.

I suppose if it can be made to go up slowly on idle thrust then a player could just stand on it rather than sit and hit the stop button when ready, atm though its very easy to hit the floor youw ant quickly from a cockpit.

Faith and Tyrax Lightning like this.