What did you do in Empyrion today?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Slam Jones, Oct 17, 2015.

1. dpburke2

dpburke2 Captain

Updated one measely BP online, my Steamer Duck that I have been using in survival. Updated with armor station and detector.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1146103650

At one point I was considering creating a new starter HV with detector. I was going to call it the Weka, but when I realized that the detector was actually a small antennae, well, it made more sense to just modify the Steamer Duck a little. In the process I got a little carried away and gave the vehicle a bigger makeover than necessary. In the end, it actually is just the tiniest bit cheaper than the prior version.

A8 FTB Creative_2018-06-22_21-37-47.jpg

While most of the equipment is accessible from the outside, and you can see the ammo boxes but not "reach" them because of the truss blocks in the way. This is not screenshot I shared on Steam though. The fuel tanks and ammo boxes are accessible from this access hatch.

A8 FTB Creative_2018-06-22_22-02-00.png

By the way, when people where showing off their HV defensive platforms not too long ago, I was really tempted to post a pic of my Steamer Duck. That is how the concept started. I figured if one turret set out for a defensive platform was good, four turrets in one HV would be better. And if I was putting four turrets on a deployable defense, why not leave the cockpit there for movement? And if I have a cockpit, why not include a fridge and cargo boxes? The initial version was hardened steel and I played with the cousin to the Steamer Duck (one less turret) in almost every one of my games until Alpha 7. That extra jump to get sathium was brutal to the Steamer Duck and its cousin. For a season, I stopped using them. Upon reflection, I realized that if I removed all the sathium requirement, my two point defense HV would make great starter HV. So from a point defense to becoming a starter HV. In honor of its origin, the Steamer Duck comes with the control panel configured so you can shutoff all maneuver to conserve power, including the hover engines. I have used it a lot in my Alpha 8 survival game so far. Deploying this HV was a real game changer for my early game. I have worked the night through in the protective shadow of the Steamer Duck, whether chopping down trees, foraging for food, or mining resources, even hunting drones.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2018
  2. The Tactician[ Λ ]

The Tactician[ Λ ] Rear Admiral

tried a office building
    [​IMG]
    still doing textures tho and might add a flag or 2

also in other news i got my first Derlect ship, one of many on the way
    [​IMG]

3. Starwing6

Starwing6 Rear Admiral

Last night we experienced a horrific bug. Everything started off perfectly normal. We got our super light CV and docked a couple SVs to the hull.

[​IMG]

First we mined a couple of cobalt asteroids because we really didn't have much of it. Then we went back to the snow planet, Seyado, to service our autominers. While there, we located a Trade Station and stopped by to purchase some things.

[​IMG]

I met this man named Bertram when I asked what he had for sale. I sold him two multitools and I asked him, "Where is Pax Purgatory?"

"Pax ran off and he took hostages with him to sell as slaves!" he cried out. "Will you track him down and free my friends?" I promised I would and he gave me a star map. "Use this to follow our trade routes, and you'll find your reward for helping us: wealth beyond your wildest dreams! Go there when the time is right."

I understood what he meant, and we headed off in search of Pax. He was not at the desert planet, Rasmaru, so we carried on to the other temperate planet in the system, Soifer. @rucky and I took our SVs and @Friendly Timo took the CV down to the safety of the planet.

[​IMG]

We scouted and found a couple deposits of erestrum and zascosium that we mined down to 50%, and located multiple civilian POIs to loot.

I also found the real MS Titan. (The other one is called Talos in the playfield even. It's an imposter.)

[​IMG]

Then we all experienced a sudden disconnect from the server. Timo and I were landed at the time, but @rucky was in the air above a zascosium deposit near an Abandoned Reactor.

When we came back online, he fell and was killed by either the fall or the Zirax patrol! :eek: I flew to his location as fast as I could and shot all the Zirax in the AO. Timo spotted rucky's backpack and I went to secure it. Thankfully the despawn timer was 30 minutes and there were 23 remaining.

We got everything sorted out, placed AMDs on erestrum and zascosium, and then finished up our away mission with a visit to the Trade Station. While we were there, we freed all the captives: some aliens and some humans who crashed in the MS Titan.

[​IMG]

^That cluster of POIs is amazing!

It was late so we hurried back to our HQ. When we got back to our home base, we landed and moved our SVs to the ground. We were to begin unloading all our cargo, and were horrified to discover the west half of our base was completely gone! Power was out and we had no core present! :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

The power room I was working on was also lost completely. Every single block. o_O There were no pock marks on the ground outside to indicate that a drone had its way with our base while we were away.

We were all a bit shocked, dismayed, horrified, and more! @Friendly Timo and @rucky both tried to place a new core and were unable to! :eek:o_O:eek:

I told them not to worry, I'd restore the server to its backup and all we'd lose is all that progress of our successful mission. Several hours of productive and fun gameplay. We'd always have the memories and the pretty pictures of all the things we saw and did. But still...

While I downloaded our savegame and logs, Timo worked up the resolve to try another time, so I didn't restore the backup right away. He went in and announced that everything was fine!!

WTH? o_O

[​IMG]

And so it is!! :D Home sweet home! I couldn't believe it. What happened?! I didn't know how to feel. Should I laugh, cry tears of joy and relief, fear another horrific bug?

It wasn't a drone but we destroy the drone base ASAP. ;)

4. Dead8Eye

Dead8Eye Captain

so guys :)

Today i work on a new destroyer type. ...ahm...dont know if them would a own ship class
    20180623151630_1.jpg 20180623151700_1.jpg

ah .. and i build Starter CVs :D the Mantra Class
    20180623151740_1.jpg

5. Brimstone

Brimstone Rear Admiral

Same thing happened to me early in 8 and I also attributed it to drones, even though there was no other evidence of them. I didn't figure it out until after I'd salvaged the "remains" and was heading outbound.. so I strongly urge everyone who encounters similar to exit/renter the playfield or restart the host before doing anything else. I'd wound up trashing a very nice modular base myself... :(

Tyrax Lightning and Starwing6 like this.
  6. Starwing6

Starwing6 Rear Admiral

I reported the bug but this is the very worst bug I've ever experienced in the game in nearly 1500 hours. I'm glad I was quick to get us off the server. I did restart it after downloading files for the bug report.

Tyrax Lightning likes this.
  7. Dead8Eye

Dead8Eye Captain

shortly update: the new ship got a littlebit more details :D

before:
    20180623151630_1.jpg
    after:
    20180623171850_1.jpg

8. Myrmidon

Myrmidon Rear Admiral

@Dead8Eye Destroyers or Marauders should be CVs for single player games that do not have restriction on the use of CV weaponry. I wonder if the developers would allow this.

Maverick241 and Tyrax Lightning like this.
  9. Dead8Eye

Dead8Eye Captain

the weapons dont brake the restrictions :) .. i know what you´re thinking but read the info at every weapon/turret how much you can deploy on a vessel

10. WolfEyes

WolfEyes Captain

@Starwing6

Now that is a bit of a strange coincidence. We had a power outage yesterday, too. At least half the town was without power, if not more. All because some wildlife got into one of the substations. :D

11. Myrmidon

Myrmidon Rear Admiral

What about it? I do not think that we need more, the maximum numbers seem fine to me.

12. Dead8Eye

Dead8Eye Captain

nobody says that we need more turrets on a vessel - idk what you meaning. the restrictions are fully ok. :eek:

13. WolfEyes

WolfEyes Captain

I believe what is being asked is for CVs to not have the restrictions on the number of turrets allowed on a CV in Single Player only. That's how I read it. :)

Tyrax Lightning and Dead8Eye like this.
  14. Robot Shark

Robot Shark Rear Admiral

I have just been working on upgrading builds for version 8.x today.
    Lots and lots of builds to update.

Replaced the pulse lasers on the Tortoise Excavator and Micro Miner & Salvage with mining lasers.
    Gave the Excavator full medical facilities. But I am a loss on how to upgrade the medical facilities in the micro miner, it is already packed pretty tightly.

Since HV's no longer knock down trees I added some harvesters to the Bullfrog.
    I also upgraded it to combat steel, gave it a clone chamber, medic station, 2 detectors, and 8 more RCS units to deal with the additional weight.
    20180623100554_1.jpg

Re-oriented the jet engines on the Midge Racer, the way they used to be mounted did not work with the new engine model.

Finally, I revisited the old V1 Hover and Rocket bikes.

Gave the hover forward-facing guns, and I decided to go with a "Tron" look on the rocket bike, and changed the rocket launcher to a minigun based on feedback.

20180623102114_1.jpg

I have updated all the BA's, HV's and SV's I think will benefit from the changes.
    Back to working on the rest of the CV's, I want add full medical facilities to as many of them as I can.

Ballard, typhoon01, dpburke2 and 7 others like this.
  15. binhthuy71

binhthuy71 Rear Admiral

Evolution
    NewGame_0_2018-06-06_13-10-39.png Beginning.
    test_2018-06-22_10-49-38.png Shade tree upgrades.
    test-180622-2137_2018-06-23_11-32-26.png With scanner, cargo boxes, and constructor. I had to dig that hole to put on the hover motors.

The last version made it through revealing 90% of the map without being blown to bits. It took a lot of field repairs and minor upgrades but the big bits, including the cockpit, core and 2 hover motors are the ones I started with. Still no weapons or armor because fast and agile works better for scouting. Now to cook up something ruthless to deal with all the POI's I found. ;)

16. jadefalcon

jadefalcon Captain

17. falkenkopf.*****

falkenkopf.***** Ensign

Spoiler!

Don't read this post, if you have not dicovered that specific building during the robinson protocol mission and want to find things out by yourself.

Part 1

OK, what would a cautious person do, if they find an dangerous looking tower-building with empty turret platforms and very scary sounds of insectoid creatures from the inside? Right, just pass by and going on with your regular business. But humans are silly and curious. So like in any random horror movie, they will get in, alone, during the night ...

Because i don't like horror movies for that reasons, i did prepare for this mission - the abandoned reactor. Spare parts, food, medicine, weapons and ... a flying shuttle (SV). You didn't really expect me to come in through the front door, did you? If you ever see some fortress like building, don't take the main entrance. It will be protected somehow. (OK. i found out this by falling into some sort of frontyard by accident). But i assumed defences or dangerous creatures. I managed to get not killed and broke some windows in the upper levels. By this chance, i eliminated the defences of that floor. I "parked" my shuttle backwards in the air with the ramp towards the broken window and enterred the building in that manner. And guess what: by chance it was the right level, where the previous owners left some goodies back. So: no scary creatures met by this point.
    A cautious person would take, what it got and head back to homebase, beeing glad to be alive and got some awesome and helpful stuff.
    But not me: Curious as i am, i wanted to know what kind of creatures make these noise and if there will be something more interesting down there with them. So i landed on the roof and made my way throug a roof window. After taking out more defences, i saw one of the insects. Scaaary and very dangerous and really deathly looking. By the way: i managed not to die a single time due to now.
    So a cautious person would have turned and went back home. But not me. Silly me. I inspected a corridor, that ended in front of some metal grid. For me it looked like some kind of trap.
    So a cautious ... To make it short: i got trapped *haha Of course i was shocked and about to die immedeately. But i landed onto one of the defence guns. It could not shoot at me, because i sat on top of it *lol*
    I could manage to take it out and even the other one at the opposite wall, that didn't shoot at me, for some reason. I couldn't believe, that i survived this trap. So i continued to look out for the insects. I managed to kill two and one of the spawners. I really made it from the top of the building to the garages / hoovercraft-bays at the bottom. But then i opened a hangar door and a gun fired at me. Additionally one of these insects came towards me. (Not gonna telling you what kind of - so at least this you have to find out by yourself.) So in shock, i walked backwards and couldn't close the doors in time to trap the insect inside. It came after me and i tried to defend it. But i was hurt by the gun and did not hit it good enough. So that was it. I died there.
    A cautious person would respawn at their homebase. But not me. My shuttle was still on the roof. Some food and fruit juice, too. So i tried to jetpack up there, failed, broke my leg, died a second time ... of hunger. *facepalm*
    Then after another respawn my jetpack worked better (didn't figure out why). I reached the roof and got my shuttle. I spotted three insects in the yard near my backpack. i tried to shoot them, but i'm bad in shooting a manual gun form a shuttle. Plus: they are some sort of intelligent and hid behind objects. Of course i forgot to bring spare weapons (another mistake, i never will make again) and ran out of food and fuel. So i really had to head back to homebase. I hope i can manage to get my equipment back.

I think i will have to enter the building through the front door this time ;) But i will be prepared! This time my HV with two extra turrets at the front sides will help me to defend myself of insects, spiders and other threads on the ground. At least i hope so.

... to be continued

18. Tyrax Lightning

Tyrax Lightning Rear Admiral

I say we need moar Turrets on a Vessel... but that's Shamelessly Biased Opinion so i'll understand if no one wants to listen to me on it. :p

I'd love this as well. :)

Edit:

Fixed. ;)

To see how I did this, Quote this Reply, then hit the little upper-right button marked "Use BBCode Editor" labeled with little Pic of a Wrench. ;)

With that said, welcome to the Forums! :)

WolfEyes and binhthuy71 like this.
  19. Sephrajin

Sephrajin Rear Admiral

@Myrmidon @Tyrax Lightning
    You can already ;)
    Before you hit 'start new game' goto Options/difficulty, deselect weapons limit ("Block limit of certain items"), et voilà! :p

20. Sephrajin

Sephrajin Rear Admiral

With all these awesome bases posted on the previous page, i'm glad and happy that i had prepared a video :)
    It just felt more right to give the teaser this way ;)

Sorry for the music, i just like that kind at the momemt :)
    It's Charlotte by Hecht.