What did you do in Empyrion today?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Slam Jones, Oct 17, 2015.

1. Furious Hellfire

Furious Hellfire Rear Admiral

An elevator shaft for a cv elevator ?
    And said elevator carries hv and sv down into the lair ?

dpburke2, Tyrax Lightning and Kieve like this.
  2. Fractalite

Fractalite Rear Admiral

Yeah, that is one of the problems/challenges with building interior cabins right now. With the player 1 x 3, and not able to pivot, the doors and the, really, everything, follows suit. So the ship ends up bulbous and difficult to maneuver around in. The fix, is not building ships "flatter," horizontally, but vertically. Kieve had a really sound solution in his Aetheria:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1173844896&searchtext=Aetheria

Which is still the Luxury SV to beat.

Mind you; not trying to tell you how to build or indict your rather incredible buildings skills, more, just a way to think about things. Myself, Jenniphurr and Jrandall have not really had a good solution yet:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1514053381
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1499417741&searchtext=merc
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1358956296&searchtext=huntress

All three ships are kinda rotund. :)

I love the look though, and nice color choices!

3. Myrmidon

Myrmidon Rear Admiral

Is the elevator/platform a CV?

4. Tyrax Lightning

Tyrax Lightning Rear Admiral

Counterpoint: I think it's just a bout of "Creative Interpretation"... :p

Germanicus likes this.
  5. Kieve

Kieve Rear Admiral

This was going to be my guess as well. Beat me to it!

To be frank, there've been some complaints about movement in the Aetheria too. It's fine on level ground, but park it funny or try to jetpack through it in space and it's a bit of a headache. (Moving inside anything in space with no grav is a headache, small vessels just make it worse.)
    The real question though is what you want to accomplish with an SV interior - a fighter like that wouldn't need much more than a protected cubbyhole to access the important stuff.

Either way, I really like the style on the FA-010. Makes me think of the FA-37 Talon.
    [​IMG]
    Anyone remember this movie?

6. Taniyama

Taniyama Captain

Rats, I should have thought I wasn’t the first one to come up with this idea. :oops:

It would be nice if the devs could add dedicated blocks to make this a standard feature in Empyrion. ;)

20180920221239_1.jpg

20180920221403_1.jpg

20180920221421_1.jpg

20180920221611_1.jpg

Last edited: Sep 20, 2018
  7. Vermillion

Vermillion Rear Admiral

looks like the fighter from Stealth.
    The internals of the FA-010 can be accessed from a hatch on the back (ugly-looking hatch), and it's got a lot of interior space, you just can't walk around in it, so it's crammed full of stuff that can be accessed from the door like the FA-002 Intimidator.

[​IMG]
    Wow, that thing looks bad. Was my first SV. Needs a remake.

Tyrax Lightning, dpburke2 and Kieve like this.
  8. arcticsnowyt

arcticsnowyt Commander

*waits for 101 base blueprints to be uploaded to the workshop using your improvisational genius*

I don't know if anybody had thought of this before, couldn't get it to work right, or just never uploaded it but I've never seen anything like it. Well done!

9. Taniyama

Taniyama Captain

It is very difficult to get it to work and even then it sticks at times. You have to be very careful mining out the passage and which blocks you use in both the shaft and on the elevator itself. The most important parts are actually the two arms and the grove they fit into on either side of the shaft, because they do the most work as they guide the elevator up and down the passage.

In fact there’s a lot of thought went into making this work. So if there’s a demand for it I’d be more than willing to make some type of guide on how to build one.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2018
    ion_storm, Wellingtoon, Kieve and 4 others like this.
  10. Vermillion

Vermillion Rear Admiral

Finished the FA-010 today. Gave it a name too: The FA-010 Vertigo.
    After giving up on trying to fit my fat ass inside the interior, I raised the floor and stuffed the thing with RCS, fuel tanks, cargo boxes and other goodies. Re-did the textures with proper ones but more or less kept the red primary color.
    I'd still probably choose to use the Seer over the Vertigo, simply because it has a pressurized interior and heavier armor on the cockpit.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. The Tactician[ Λ ]

The Tactician[ Λ ] Rear Admiral

when will this be on the workshop?

Tyrax Lightning and arcticsnowyt like this.
  12. Sephrajin

Sephrajin Rear Admiral

I was refering to the X in the name beeing the M.
    Which was probably also the main cause for @Vermillion 's initial question.

Tyrax Lightning likes this.
  13. Taniyama

Taniyama Captain

I never actually thought that anybody would be interested in it. Right now only the main shaft is done and about seventy-five percent of the hanger area, everything else is just about bare bones. If I do make it available in the workshop it would have to come in two parts. One for Alaska Base itself and one for the actual lift setup, which the person would have to install into the base themselves.
    Alaska Base.png

Last edited: Sep 21, 2018
  14. rainyday

rainyday Rear Admiral

Great idea & execution on the lift - really interested to see it 'in action'. So please do make it & lift available in the workshop once you've got it finished :)

15. Na_Palm

Na_Palm Captain

Hello everyboby,

sorry for the delay but 2018 is a bit harsh in the last part.

Really nice ideas from you. Thanks for the feedback!
    Part of the production and storage area is almost done, have to turn the lights down...
    The bigger landingpad gots cut and will become a new base later. Inplace i installed a few more solarcells.
    To feed the furnace in the back there is now a chute of sorts, directly at the unloading place for hovers. The Hangars each are protected by 2 sentries. Oh and as it is now at class 6 (5.54) i try to stay at least under class 10.

NewGame_0_2018-09-22_00-37-55.jpg
    NewGame_0_2018-09-22_00-36-58.jpg
    The swamp planet looks marvelous!

the new back of it. This houses storage, energy and part of production NewGame_0_2018-09-22_00-46-47.jpg NewGame_0_2018-09-22_00-38-59.jpg NewGame_0_2018-09-22_00-41-29.jpg
    the sentries extended
    NewGame_0_2018-09-22_00-47-10.jpg NewGame_0_2018-09-22_00-48-31.jpg
    in the base
    NewGame_0_2018-09-22_00-40-02.jpg NewGame_0_2018-09-22_00-43-47.jpg

In the back and high i want to place the living area. Really hope that the next update will be quicker.

16. arcticsnowyt

arcticsnowyt Commander

Ditto for me, would love to try this out for sure.

Tyrax Lightning likes this.
  17. Vermillion

Vermillion Rear Admiral

I woke up this morning with a strange build design in my head. From it, I have thought up several potential designs as 3 CVs, 3 SVs and 2 HVs and probably a few bases that'll keep me going for a few weeks.
    While building the first one, a CV, I made a derpy boo-boo that's now transformed into a new branch of my design that'll shoot off in a different direction when i'm done with the first ones.
    It's not my usual style, it's more... round... and vertical. Still needs a lot of work, even though it's not very big.

And here it is: the FA-011 Unnamed
    The working title is the "Ildiran-2" until I come up with something. The derpy offshoot is the ildiran-1 and the reason for the temp name. Extra points to whoever knows the reference.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The back.

18. dpburke2

dpburke2 Captain

There is a lot of threads here that I have never read. So there are probably a lot of suggestions discussed that I am unaware of. Recently, I read someone talking about "when cargo mass is implemented" or something along that lines. So I ran the numbers, if cargo did add to the mass of the vessel carrying it, would HVs really have an advantage? If you didn't already know, I keep a spreadsheet of my completed, WIP and planned "projects". But to assist me with seeing just how my various BP would fair, I added formula to calculate total newtons for the six directions (front, back, up, down, left, right). I was already tracking known or projected masses in the spreadsheet. So with a little math, first I was adding projected cargo weights, then I decided I wanted a formula to take the mass, thrust, and a target performance number to then calculate for me the maximum mass (t), rounded down, that each blueprint could carry. For HV, the columns included a comparison of forward and reverse thrust, found the greater of those, while the SV and CV just used the thrust down (pushing up) only. I realize that there are flaws or inconsistencies in the game engine handling of movement, but I chose to focus on these limited thrust vectors.

For climbing most hills/mountains, I thought 7 m/s^2 would be a good target for HV. Minor hills and a basic ramp, 3 m/s^2 should be plenty. Only a few of my HV did I set the lower target as most I would prefer to be able to travel over terrain instead of around it. Although 10 m/s^2 is good enough for flight in 1 g, I wanted a small margin so I chose 10.5 m/s^2.

WIP in progress spreadsheet.jpg

I learned a few things. Most of my latest cheap HV would need S thrusters added to haul anything. Since I was using this formula, it was easy to "simulate" the effects of adding one or two thrusters. And although there is not a single cargo box among my racing HV, those designs had the most potential to carry 4 - 5 times their mass and still climb hills and mountains. So if cargo mass becomes reality, I suppose I could learn from those designs. Thank you @Jenniphurr for that challenge. And, inspired by all this number crunching, I decided that my FTB group should get a new concept, a SV designed to have the potential to lift 10 times its own mass. Not sure how well I'll do, but thus I added the Eagle to my list of BP. I even defined the space it needed to fit in, etc.

Usually I go to graph paper or other to draft out the possible appearance first, but for the Eagle I decided I would try skipping the early concept doodles.

A8 FTB Creative_2018-09-22_09-53-59.png

The base in the background is the Frontier Perch. As I told my children, I draft these things often in creative and then use them in a game. The Frontier Perch is a ground base, but I like doing some of the work in orbit because I don't have to use godmode to work on the underside structure.

Looks like I have more to ponder than I initially considered when picking the size constraints of the Eagle SV.

The space on the Raven and Condor where I had planned for docking @The Tactician[ Λ ] 's Aegis container is actually bigger than I need for the Eagle. So that gives me at least two CV capable of hauling the Eagle.

A8 FTB Creative_2018-09-22_12-41-49.png A8 FTB Creative_2018-09-22_12-39-43.png

Now the Pelican and Turkey have rooftop pads with access, so I knew that those CV could work that way, but I chose the size of Eagle to fit into the rear hangar of the Pelican.

A8 FTB Creative_2018-09-22_12-54-00.png

Turns out it can fit through the doors into the primary hold of the Condor. However, the interior of the Condor was designed for parking the Swallow and Sparrow SVs, both of which have the same small footprint. The Eagle may fit, but the parking was never intended for something this big. So do I alter the interior to accommodate the Eagle or do I just say you are supposed to park up to six along the spine on the outside of the Condor? Both the Eagle and the Condor are WIP, so I have some time to decide how I want to handle this new addition to the FTB collection. I guess I should be happy that some of the features on existing and planned CV can already accommodate the new addition in one way or another.

A8 FTB Creative_2018-09-22_12-47-14.png

Last edited: Sep 22, 2018
  19. Germanicus

Germanicus Rear Admiral

That took me now quite a while until I figured out how I would like the interior of the Base...still not so sure about it:rolleyes:

Terra Incognita_2018-09-22_21-25-49.png Terra Incognita_2018-09-22_21-25-32.png Terra Incognita_2018-09-22_21-25-15.png Terra Incognita_2018-09-22_21-25-03.png Terra Incognita_2018-09-22_21-24-52.png Terra Incognita_2018-09-22_21-24-41.png

20. T431

T431 Captain

It's been coming for a while, but today I've finally started on my new large SV project!
    20180922220614_1.jpg 20180922220621_1.jpg
    It's just a beginning so far, but a shape is starting to come together. I'll also have some form of asymmetry at some point.