What did you do in Empyrion today?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Slam Jones, Oct 17, 2015.

1. Scoob

Scoob Rear Admiral

Thanks for the explanation @Fractalite, I appreciate it.

I can see where such spawners might have their place, perhaps with a large "shut off" switch once the player has made it past the hoards, so we can at least "win" in a sense lol. This does very much need to be used in special cases though, like those you suggest, as it just doesn't fit in a "regular" POI where you sorta conquer them room by room. NPC's able to move about within their own POI's is a huge game changer on its own, which already makes the room to room approach that much trickier. Which is GOOD.

I guess I'm so used to the whole NPC / Critters teleporting in via destroyable spawners in POI's that it's hard to get my head around the change. I guess this new spawning method being used in several places in the Abandoned Drone Base POI is an oversight then? I mean, the patterned blocks which used to suggest they're might be a spawner here are still present, yet the spawners are the new type so the "clue" means nothing.

I think these new spawners would have great effect if used in a more limited manner. I.e. rather than just spawning a given critter / NPC type again and again, they could be used to spawn a set, finite number of foes as the trap intends. So, a player falls through a trap door - for example - and he will then face 4 enemies. So, the quick / lucky player will not be able to defuse the trap via taking out the spawners. This makes avoiding the traps all that more critical, hopefully encouraging a more tactical approach to POI's.

As a lone player, any sort of "more / tougher" enemies thing isn't always a good thing. A player alone can only deal some much DPS and is highly vulnerable during reloads. Having a MP squad take on a POI is an ENTIRELY different proposition. Having a "smart" POI able to scale, to a degree, based on the number of allied players joining the assault would be a great way to tailor the experience to keep both groups happy. Waves of enemies works well for the group, and gives them plenty to do. The same for a lone player can just be an exercise in frustration. With the "old" spawners, they can go room to room as I do, clearing things as they go and be challenged and entertained. With a group, that'd just be a little underwhelming and waves of foes would make a huge impact. Players having to check fire, cover during reloads etc. makes for some great team action.

Note: I just play SP, but equally I'd love for Empyrion to excel in an MP environment, giving all players stuff to entertain them. I will get into MP one day... :)

Scoob.

2. Fractalite

Fractalite Rear Admiral

Not oversight, more, I converted them all, but Hummel and/or other has not placed them in the game yet. :) I did so very fast and Hummel gets kinda cranky at me when I forget to set the correct file names and such, so he is prioritizing. Plus the Developers have gone into their silent flying mode they enter when they are working hard on new stuff.

Sorry, sorry; this is what the "static" mode means; they spawn the designated number and then switch off and no longer spawn. Apologies for not being clearer.

Yeah, there is currently no way to balance appropriately between SP and MP, so we try for a bit of both while leaning towards SP but adding more structures to planets overall and helping MP server owners with their scenarios as a placeholder fill-in. The idea of a scaling to # of players POI is very much a dream that some of us hold. :) My bet is it will be realized eventually - maybe even planet-wise scaling. Who knows? :D

This can still happen in the Zirax structures - like the Radar installation that has ventilation ductwork. We just need more and larger. Right now we are hampered by self-imposed limitations the developers use to make POI's server and computer friendly, but at some point we will be going, well, a bit larger - but optimization passes first(or rather, at some point.)

Last edited: Jan 29, 2019
  3. Scoob

Scoob Rear Admiral

Ah ok, fair enough :)

Yes, please be clearer...you know I'm dumb as a stump most days lol ;)

I think if this could be implemented then it would really allow for both SP and MP groups to be challenged appropriately. I most often consider MP when I'm doing a POI assault on my own, just to have someone else firing while I reload would be a huge boon.

That's fair, it's no good having an uber POI if it's unplayable for 99% of the player base.

Scoob.

4. dpburke2

dpburke2 Captain

Updated the Reverence SV. Well, I skipped the texturing and completing the paint job. This is one of my older BP, long overdue an update. Even without completing the fine details, I really think the new version is far superior to the original. Not the least of which, this updated version hits just over 100 m/s^2.

SV_Reverence.jpg 9A IT_2019-01-28_18-50-12.jpg 9A IT_2019-01-28_18-49-29.jpg

And, yes, I kept it to 7500 CPU.

5. Germanicus

Germanicus Rear Admiral

Yes, those invisible, indestructible Spawners are painful and real game killers for SP/Survival Gamer. I am tempted to give next time the Turrets on my HV free reign again and Blast my way into abandoned mines, factories and Drone Bases.

6. Germanicus

Germanicus Rear Admiral

Looks nice and un-orthodox;)
    If it is a "One-Seater" you may even consider to remove 1 Constructor and 2 Fridges and replace them with Cargo-Boxes. My Opinion, of course.

7. Furious Hellfire

Furious Hellfire Rear Admiral

8. Germanicus

Germanicus Rear Admiral

9. Ann|e Noa|m

Ann|e Noa|m Captain

After trying to loot a POI i quickly understood that my starter HV was in no way able to carry some of that stuff (CV-parts) :D
    So back to creative to try and build the cheapest hauler CV that i could make at level 10.

Have not tested it in heavy gravity or anything, but it is quite capable to carry of big stuff in 1g at least.

The NSI Mule:
    Workshop-link: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1638889675
    20190129133724_1.jpg
    20190129133809_1.jpg

Slapped a few cannon-turrets on it to fend of nosy drones whilst looting..
    Only real issue is the cobalt, sathium and neodymium, but with some salvaging of wrecks, trading and a trip or two with my warp-capable SV it's manageable.

10. Furious Hellfire

I did not smoke a van made entirely of cannabis

Germanicus and Ann|e Noa|m like this.
  11. Vermillion

Vermillion Rear Admiral

Worked on the fluid rooms on Engineering Deck 04 of the Millenium today and yesterday. It's almost ready for full texturing and color.
    12 Terranigma_2019-01-30_03-27-34.png
    Here are some of the big tanks. There's a lot of pipes on this level.
    12 Terranigma_2019-01-30_03-27-54.png
    And one of the workstation areas on this level. Faces into the warp core. There's a control room on the other side of the warp core.
    Should hopefully finish this level tomorrow.

12. Na_Palm

Na_Palm Captain

WoW, i like your stile very much!:cool:

That baby will be a must have for me.

13. Furious Hellfire

Tyrax Lightning likes this.
  14. dpburke2

dpburke2 Captain

Try two "open cockpits" and two passenger seats.

Tyrax Lightning likes this.
  15. agal59

agal59 Lieutenant

I wiped the Zirax off the face of the planet. I then walked through a Talon village. How disappointing. No ticker-tape parade; no high-fives; nothing. I'm sooooo.... underappreciated!

16. Vermillion

Vermillion Rear Admiral

Finished the top engineering deck today. I'll start on the bottom one tomorrow, but that one should be much easier on account of it being considerably smaller and backing onto the cargo bay.
    12 Terranigma_2019-01-31_02-04-19.png
    12 Terranigma_2019-01-31_02-04-39.png
    12 Terranigma_2019-01-31_02-06-37.png
    12 Terranigma_2019-01-31_02-07-43.png

Current class size: 37

17. Sephrajin

Sephrajin Rear Admiral

18. The Tactician[ Λ ]

The Tactician[ Λ ] Rear Admiral

19. Tyrax Lightning

Tyrax Lightning Rear Admiral

To be fair, they might be fully aware of the fact that the Zirax Empire spans huge chunks of a Galaxy & be fearing potential repercussions from the rest of the Empire still out & about. ;)

For the Topic: FINALLY... I have a part done HV that might work out & manage to actually get completed... then I still gotta give it its Test Runs & Performance Diagnostic Tests & find out if it works as well in practice as it does in my hopes & dreams... brace yourselves in advance, it's not gonna be no pretty boy if it does work out. ;)

I think the problem mighta been my OCD was getting too damn bossy & I wasn't kicking it in the ass enough & thus was getting too damn held back by it. I hate my OCD... -_-

dpburke2 and Na_Palm like this.
  20. ViroMan

ViroMan Commander

Came back to the game after a while away. Been away since just after 8.0 came out. Started new single player default scenario.
    Space orbit was default selection. Ok... went with it.
    <spawn in high orbit and falling without escape pod> I die.
    OK... select restart scenario in escape pod option.
    See line 3

OK... start new play with everything the same except starting on the planet instead of 'orbit'.
    <spawned with escape pod for a change> Land and... nothing. No Robinson protocol. Just me dicking around. The robinson protocal is not in any of the pda lists.
    Turn off game. Verify game files. <good>, make sure I am not using a custom config... I disableded that before starting though.
    Meh. Try again next update... maybe next version.

Jenniphurr and Tyrax Lightning like this.