What did you do in Empyrion today?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Slam Jones, Oct 17, 2015.

1. Tyrax Lightning

Tyrax Lightning Rear Admiral

I think the Mining Rig is a literally huge Red Herring & its job is to LOOK functional while in reality a Auto-Miner is hiding in the bottom of the supposed 'glowy beam' where it connects to the ground & the purpose of the Landing Pad is to land, sneak through some kinda secret entrance, travel through the Machine, down through the inside of the Beam, grab the Auto-Miner Haul, sneak it back onto your Ship, then pretend the 'Mining Rig' had done the work. & to save ya the question of why not use Wireless Transmitters, i'm guessing it'd risk blowing the Red Herring's Stealth as a Red Herring. :p

Did ya think we'd be so easy to fool? ;)

StyleBBQ and Jenniphurr like this.
  2. Vermillion

Vermillion Rear Admiral

Today-ish, I made some more Snow POIs. Civilian ones this time.
    14 Coldmarch_2019-09-25_16-46-34.png
    Residences. Just finished this one 10 mins ago.
    14 Coldmarch_2019-09-24_23-40-36.png
    And farms.
    All sealed against the cold, with all the buildings connected by tubes so you never need to go out into the cold.
    EDIT: Re-added the images because something broke somewhere.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2019
  3. Germanicus

Germanicus Rear Admiral

Uhm...don't see the Pictures...just IMG:oops:

4. Vermillion

Vermillion Rear Admiral

How 'bout now?

5. SacredGlade

SacredGlade Captain

Looks great!

6. Supay

Supay Captain

Awesome, thanks for the POI's they look great! Snow fresh crops! look like fun thing to raid.

7. Germanicus

Germanicus Rear Admiral

Much Better thanks:D

Tyrax Lightning and StyleBBQ like this.
  8. StyleBBQ

StyleBBQ Captain

@Kassonnade 's race car had me remembering back to when we could see some great motorsports racing, like the 24 Hours of Le Mans, without a $1000/month cable package. :( Anyway, it inspired me to try and reproduce one of my favorite cars, the Porsche 962. It actually came out kind of mid way between that and a 956.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porsche_962
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porsche_956

Edit: I just went back and looked at your build @Kassonnade , man did I rip you off hard! That was a serious mugging, I hope you'll forgive me :).
    Here's Kass's original: https://empyriononline.com/threads/what-did-you-do-in-empyrion-today.2826/page-939#post-353339

My copy doesn't meet the 8 m/s cut off; too many blocks, heh. Would need to lose ~20 blocks? & the lights, & the 2 LCDs. Not happening! :D

Plus, personally I much prefer the look of the 'Legacy' cockpit for this, and it adds anothe 100kg for some reason. Also driving in first person w the old, much less cluttered windscreen is great!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And I played with the new LCD projectors, for the P-962 on the wing supports, pretty nifty! :)

Last edited: Sep 25, 2019
    Robot Shark, jmtc, Kassonnade and 2 others like this.
  9. Germanicus

Germanicus Rear Admiral

You should send those Pics to Ferrari...to rethink their current "flat" Designs:D;)

10. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

Haha ! Glad to see it inspired you ! :D

You made a very nice and distinctive one here. And yes, if not for the added mass, the Legacy cockpit fits better.

The "24h du Mans" has an impressive palette of designs, I much prefer this format than Formula 1.

Just made a last minimal attempt at a paint job on mine before sending it to the "BP Archives". It's still a Level 1 affordable and comfy explorer that I can spawn early game, but as you surely noticed I really don't like the whole HV idea, especially when seeing it forced upon everyone by constantly nerfing the SVs and making it the poor player in the whole game.

hv-racer-1-final.png

I'm currently trying to make a building sheet (in Excel for a start) that will show mass/ CPU/ power usage depending on number of devices in a planned build, to keep track of things while (and before) starting the actual building. I wish I could get my hand on some of the formulas used to calculate ship performances also (thrusters, rcs, generators required, etc) to include in the chart.

As I showed in another post up here, it becomes obvious that the big thruster's masses are almost irrelevant because of their power requirement, which is close to what a single generator can provide. So to their average 800kg mass we have to add 1 ton gens for each, and the ship will still need generators for other functions than just propulsion. This makes it hard to design a big and efficient SV, hence my attempt to make some kind of tool to help.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2019
  11. StyleBBQ

StyleBBQ Captain

Cool :cool:, and thanks! :) I played with adding some Symbol lines, but they didn't work well with the interupted body lines I went with.
    They work really well on yours. Though I do wish we could choose something other than White for them.

A Builders Spreadsheet could be really helpful.

Pretty sure geostar1024 has worked out the rotational calculations, I know I haven't, heh.
    >> and just in case this is useful..
    >>(I have a weird way of looking at math, & limited excel skills, no disrespect intended; if calculus + excel works well for you please ignore ;))

The one calculation Eleon seems to respect is, "1 Newton moves 1 kilogram at 1 meter per second squared".
    They definately do -not- follow the rest of it; "... at 1 Watt per Newton".
    With that bit though you can show the m/s^2
    total Newtons / total Mass = m/s^2

Using our two Stats pics shows the rounding; 20 kN div 2.66 t = 7.5188 m/s^2 ---> (20 kN div 2.67 t = 7.4906 m/s^2)
    And mine is over; 20 kN div 2.74 t = 7.2992 m/s^2

since we don't really care about Acceleration can drop the 'per second' bit (calling it 'meters') & just use basic algebra to solve for the other two.
    meters * Mass = N ; N div meters = Mass
    - so if you knew you wanted 12 m/s^2 and, somehow, knew the Mass was 3.5 t; 12 * 3.5 = 42 kN
    -- or more likely know we need 15 m/s^2 but only have 1 Sm CV Thruster for each direction; 800MN div 15 meters = 53.3 kilo tons [[o_O]]
    Edit-2_Correction: I knew something wasn't right; the Sm CV Thruster has 8pointZeroZero, not 800 MN of thrust! :eek: ... so to reach a full 15 m/s^2 it can only lift 0.533 kt or 533 tons. oopsies

Sorry, I know any real math person is pulling their hair out at this, what can I say? ... "Works for me." :p:D

Edit: actually just dawned on me from reading Scoobs post in another thread; m/s^2 * Mass = Newtons is handy, for when you're salvaging a space wreck and need to figure out how many thrusters/Newtons you'll need to safely land it.

12. Wellingtoon

Wellingtoon Commander

Today I restarted @ravien_ff 's Eden scenario on the dead planet. Where even the glitches are epic and intimidating:
    20190926214255_1.jpg

13. StyleBBQ

StyleBBQ Captain

@Wellingtoon , man I must be sick cause I really want to start over just for the Dead Planet experiance again... cool HV too :)

you know what's on top of that spire right? your stomach knows! lol

damn you @ravien_ff ! :mad: ...
    (please tell us you're making another Dead World, different but the same??? <:p>)

14. Wellingtoon

Wellingtoon Commander

Ha ha, it's a very ugly wee HV that is made of bits as I can afford them. It started with 2 repulsor engines down the middle; now it's got 4, 4 actual hover engines, 2 small thrusters at the back, cargo boxes everywhere, and no RCS. It works surprisingly well unless I go over 1.5 metres - then it loses the ability to turn!

StyleBBQ and Tyrax Lightning like this.
  15. StyleBBQ

StyleBBQ Captain

True, true, but that's it's beauty; it fits perfectly into that post apocalyptic world; and that progression? You Mad Max'd it like a boss! :D

the combo'ing bit of both the starter engines and then adding actual repulsors, so dang useful! mine wound up with 2,250 SUs so could haul 450 logs, but I never added thrusters, just 4 blue repulsors. even loaded it had plenty of gyro to turn, but not much 'pep' lol.

Tyrax Lightning and Wellingtoon like this.
  16. Wellingtoon

Wellingtoon Commander

Great fun. I do like that it's so low to the ground that you get a decent impression of speed. Hence the rear thrusters only - it takes a couple of seconds to hit max speed, but about half an hour to stop :). I'm sticking with cargo boxes as I can distribute thw eight manually. There's still something off about how weight is spread in cargo controllers.

Tyrax Lightning and StyleBBQ like this.
  17. StyleBBQ

StyleBBQ Captain

Ha! yeppers, even though I'd like collision damage, man I would have had to repair/rebuild my HV a bunch o times! :eek::D

There is something different about the Container Controllers+Ext center of gravity. Haven't figured it out either. My working premise is that the 6 furthest points of either a CC or CE define a box that will be the CoG for the entirety of that collection of SUs. But it's just a wag.

-- why is it so quiet around here...?

Tyrax Lightning and Wellingtoon like this.
  18. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

Today I spent some time exploring our starter planet and looking for the Drone Base. :D

20190926210728_1.jpg

I found it, dug a tunnel to it, used explosives to bring down the shield and blast a hole in the bottom. I think whoever designed this expected this tactic because this was the view I was greeted with when I popped my head up. :D

20190926231346_1.jpg

Also started re-arranging our farm base to produce emergency rations:
    20190926214305_1.jpg

20190926233633_1.jpg

We're still pretty early game, but we have a nice CV so we can go to other planets now if we want. I need to design a landing platform base for it though, since we can't leave it turned on while we're logged off the server because of fuel.

I haven't had time to work on the scenario much lately due to real life stuff, but hopefully soon I can! I want to do a few minor updates and at least 1 major update before alpha 11. :D I want to add a water world as a capital planet for the Abyssal with POIs made by @Fractalite and some custom ones I'll make, a super hard hell world with lots of strange Alien POIs, and a really cool "drained ocean" planet where most of the water has been mysteriously drained from the oceans. (Think like Nazjatar in World of Warcraft). I also want to go through and do some work on the traders and add some of the amazing custom POIs people have been sharing.

I also plan on adding more variations of planets, especially new variations of alien, temperate, snow, and lava planets. I also have an idea for a few starter planets but I might save those for alpha 11. :D

Supay, Bollen, Robot Shark and 9 others like this.
  19. Bigfeet

Bigfeet Captain

@StyleBBQ @Kassonnade : You guys race designs take me back to one of Jenniphur's challenge builds.
    Let me pull up a pic of an altered version never brought in public display :
    Red Racer.jpg
    For those moments i need to release the inner beast :p

Supay, ion_storm, Kassonnade and 6 others like this.
  20. Vermillion

Vermillion Rear Admiral

Did work on an interactive holographic display. He sleeps, opens his eyes, blinks, talks and will watch the player walking around his room.
    Since this doesn't really spoil anything, I can show it.
    14 Coldmarch_2019-09-27_23-42-34.png
    Sleep mode. He also does this when be blinks.
    14 Coldmarch_2019-09-27_23-42-40.png
    Awake: "My name is jeff"
    14 Coldmarch_2019-09-27_23-43-06.png
    Watching the player.
    Projectors are fun. Even if this dude is cheesy as hell.