What did you do in Empyrion today?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Slam Jones, Oct 17, 2015.

1. StyleBBQ

StyleBBQ Captain

Wow! Very very cool stuff there @ravien_ff , @Bigfeet , @Vermillion

I'm having a teeth crunching time on a CV build atm, so seeing these is actually really helpful. I'd post a pic but might get banned...heh

Raviens little SV: even though it's tiny it has graceful clean lines and is stylish while being minimalist yet highly functional.
    And that Farm. The details for lights. The Shutters for the great view. A farm -not- in a concrete bunker?? The audacity! :p
    -- was thinking it might be pretty cool if there were tidally locked worlds, like Mercury. New Starters you say? Yes please!

Bigfeet, that's awesome! :D
    Is there some of Speed Racers secret brothers (forgot his name) car in there? sparking a dim childhood memory...
    & just dawned on me that a front end like that could flip another HV during a race, ha!

Vermillion, gotta say that's freaking me out a bit even without seeing it move or hearing it speak.. Hal? Yes Michael? <oh crap! runnn!:eek:>
    Serious props of course, for not just thinking, "hmmm.." but then making it come alive, you mad scientist you :D

Thanks for the inspiring posts guys! :)

2. Vermillion

Vermillion Rear Admiral

It's not one of those giant flying p**** i've seen on the Empyrion workshop is it?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 28, 2019
    StyleBBQ likes this.
  3. StyleBBQ

StyleBBQ Captain

ha haha lmbo! :D no, that would mean it had _some_ kind of shape other than "brick". A flying ***** would be a vast improvement...

(wait. what in the heck did i just say??)(this is one of those things they're going to ask me to 'explain' in an interview isn't it...:oops:)

Edit: cleaned up the language, apologies :)

Last edited: Sep 27, 2019
    Germanicus likes this.
  4. Germanicus

Germanicus Rear Admiral

Personal Drone: "My Master points where I do the work"

To strive, to seek, to find_2019-09-27_18-03-09.png

5. jadefalcon

jadefalcon Captain

[​IMG]

6. banksman45

banksman45 Rear Admiral

The planets in this game have come such a long way!!!.. I don't see many space games that looks this good.
    Screenshot (326).png

7. banksman45

banksman45 Rear Admiral

Added some hallways to my CV today.
    Screenshot (325).png

8. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

Really cool! Love it!

9. Tyrax Lightning

Tyrax Lightning Rear Admiral

Funny ya mention this. I too recently took a stroll down Nostalgia Lane on Jen's HV Racer Challenge Thread... it's inspired my current HV Build... :D

...? Curiosity: Does this dude happen to be a sibling or other Family Relation to the "Jeff" in Star Control: Origins...? :p

Maybe all ya little guys, perhaps... :p

@Vermillion & @StyleBBQ What the hell Heroes!!? Language!!! :mad:

10. Fractalite

Fractalite Rear Admiral

Spooky. Keep it up!

11. StyleBBQ

StyleBBQ Captain

Cleaned up my earlier post ;)

@banksman45 , "Added some hallways to my CV today." ...some?? that one hallway is wider than half my ship?! :p <spooky indeed btw :eek:>

Here's the -after- of this unfortunate build. Really should have named it, "Brick"... :(
    I'd been envisioning an old military beach landing craft. When I got into it it became clear that the scale would have to be enormous, at least for me, for turrets on top of the 'sides' to not look silly. Then tried Shutters for a top hatch, not the needed sizes. But at least found out that I'd made things too tight. Had to extend the front 4 blocks. So wound up with a shuttered fly through for the SV while the HV loads from the nose. The ugly nose bits came from not being able to get the HV thru the 5x3 Hangar door if the ramp is too close.

Only reason I made it this far is I was determined to, mostly, stick to the 'no spawn' from the Dead World. Though I did give myself a pass for the 'That'll Do' HV, since for one I knew I couldn't face trying to build it again, and two, it's a new in 10.5 build, heh.

All the stuff is in the back half, everything forward of the command deck is hangar. Masses ~2 kt, can haul another 6 kt at 15 m/s^2 lift & 10 m/s^2 the other five directions. Room for two more lifting Medium thrusters, just in case there are any heavy gee worlds; I'm guessing yes :).
    Some paint would likely help a bit, but I'm fried on it for now and time to be movin on out anyways!
    [​IMG]

All gunned up
    [​IMG]

12. Fractalite

Fractalite Rear Admiral

Solid, effective, simple pragmatism. I like it.

Tyrax Lightning and StyleBBQ like this.
  13. Fractalite

Fractalite Rear Admiral

A balls-stapled-to-the-wall-slapped-about-with-a-big-fish hard start on Eden dead planet start:

20190927185402_1.jpg 20190927185347_1.jpg

Done it a few times before so I know it is possible, but it was never pretty. :) I so very wish we had a setting that forced a hardocre mode where you only get one life and then non-hardcore respawn was tied to the cloning chamber and then you would have to restart if you died and did not have one.

Wish me luck!

Vermillion, Wellingtoon and StyleBBQ like this.
  14. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

Graceful and stylish ! Very well done, sir ! I like how the cockpit is fully integrated in the design, its tip under the "hood" !
    ---------------------------------

I have been working on another small/ medium CV, always tying size and performance. I wanted something that looked a bit like a flying saucer, but mostly I wanted enough space inside to park a bigger SV without hitting the walls, and room between devices...

cv-dish-outside.png

I made a skeleton of a CV, placed front weapons & thrusters, mounted the walls and started to close the shape when I realized that I was not going to keep all these heavy blocks just for the "looks". I started "shaving" the CV from reinforced steel, replacing them with either windows, shutter windows, carbon composite blocks or... shutter doors (light and solid for wide coverage). The new retractable turrets (airtight) cover a lot of space, saving block mass.

This CV is just an empty shell, yet I already put most of what I want in it, and it still moves like a mosquito:

cv-dish-stats.png

A view from inside : I "doubled" the floor and some other areas with plain 2x2 windows or shutter doors, locked in the closed position.

cv-dish-inside.png

I will probably stop working on this CV now, as I got new ideas... I don't need all that space, and I will step away from the "full ship is airtight" paradigm to focus on a war machine that can endure a beating without compromising mobility.

Edit : the lone 60-tons "advanced constructor" on one side, against everything else on the other side to balance...

Other views showing hangar doors and belly access & guns:

dish-under.png

--

dish-hangar.png

That ugly blue color everywhere is the closest I could get with the color editor to match the tint of the shutter windows (I just sprayed the whole thing out of frustration). They're hard to integrate in any design because of their dull grey frame...

--------

@banksman45 : I tweaked the shields in the config file and boosted them all (CV/BA/SV/HV) but also had to boost their recharge rate by a lot, else it was just insanely slow. Works nice with these values... :eek::D

Block Id: 1809, Name: ShieldGeneratorCV, Ref: ShieldGeneratorBA
    ShieldCapacity: 180000, type: int, display: true
    ShieldRecharge: 15000, type: int, display: true

Block Id: 1811, Name: ShieldGeneratorCVT2, Ref: ShieldGeneratorCV
    ShieldCapacity: 360000, type: int, display: true

Block Id: 1810, Name: ShieldGeneratorSV, Ref: ShieldGeneratorBA
    ShieldCapacity: 140000, type: int, display: true

Block Id: 1888, Name: ShieldGeneratorHV, Ref: ShieldGeneratorBA
    ShieldCapacity: 160000, type: int, display: true
    -----------------------

Edit 1324 : I also edited the multitool's damage to 5000 and range to 15 m, much more fun building in godmode/ survival in space with 1 shot removal of thousand XP devices. Also boosted the ammo capacity to 2500.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2019
  15. StyleBBQ

StyleBBQ Captain

@Kassonnade , wow man that's a very impressive ship! Love the first pic, my brain said, L-to-R, "Thats not a knife. This is a knife." :D
    The proportions with the XL(?) thrusters is really nice; almost looks like an SV. And not having dozens and dozens of smaller ones really works with the lines.
    Only 6.35 kt?? That's amazing for the size! Ships like this really deserve to be rewarded with better 'mpg'; really hope Eleon will get variable power thrust going soon.
    Personally I think the color is very nice, that dark blue-grey is just enough different from the others to subtly emphasize the details/lines. :)
    --
    Nicely done Sir!

=== Thanks @Fractalite :)

Tyrax Lightning and Kassonnade like this.
  16. banksman45

banksman45 Rear Admiral

THANKS!!!;)

Tyrax Lightning and ravien_ff like this.
  17. banksman45

banksman45 Rear Admiral

Thanks ... For some reason I love doing hallways .haha

Tyrax Lightning and ravien_ff like this.
  18. banksman45

banksman45 Rear Admiral

Ohhhh thank you!!! I still haven't made changes yet but I am now. I'm going to try out the values you're using

19. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

And... let me know if you want to be able to use all CV weapons on planets... it's pretty cool. ;)

Edit : I think I'm going to put some order and comments/ categories in the config file to make it easier to find stuff and edit. As it is now it's a mess...

It's still heavy because all the outer blocks that make the "visible" shape are reinforced steel. I used carbon comp. blocks only inside to fill certain gaps/ steps for QOL reasons - they're too weak for armor !

20. StyleBBQ

StyleBBQ Captain

hmm.. just lookin at the config file so might be slipping decimals here?

Lrg CV Thruster 2x2, 200 MN, 160 tons. 4 ea direction so 24 x 160t = 3.84kt ? so ~60% of the ships mass is thrusters?

The brick I did has 26 ea Meds for 624 tons, 2kt ship mass so thrusters are ~31% of mass, and it's definately not roomy.
    Nor heavily armored; the entire front half is basically Corridor & Wall blocks, though it is all reinforced.

I mean I get what you're saying, could be lighter, sure, but it seems like your weight shaving worked pretty well to me :)
    Plus, if you take that girl to a dance, well, anyone who manages to crawl away will -not- be thinking she needs a diet! :D

(ok, back to doing chores... blarg. why don't we have self cleaning clothes yet?? geez I dislike doing laundry! :( it's _such_ a chore! :p)

Kassonnade and Tyrax Lightning like this.