1.9 EXP II - spacesuit flight model changes very difficult to use

Discussion in 'Experimental Features Discussion' started by boolybooly, Dec 1, 2022.

1. boolybooly

boolybooly Commander

Thought it was worth discussing here because it didn't belong in the Ashon start thread but that is where it is most noticeable.

The flight model for 1.9 EXP II has changed and the suit overreacts massively to corrections and does not cancel sideways drift like the SV flight model when thrusting at a target.

On medium settings for impact its not such a life or death issue but on high impact setting for temperature, every second saved in space reduces the temperature drop for the avatar significantly and the freezing trap when you drop below 15° where warming is slowed means freezing can still kill the avatar after they get into a hospitable temperature zone if they got too cold in space.

I found it impossible to control the avatar spacesuit precisely when flying in space doing the Ashon start. It took hours to get used to it well enough to get through the first part of the start.

The new flight model means it is very hard to target components and cargo boxes accurately at close quarters when the suit drifts all over the place and every correction is too much and amazingly difficult to get cleanly through a doorway. For components it is much easier to use the drone but you cannot collect anything with a drone except minerals, which is a bit mystifying, so you have to take the avatar to the vital cargo boxes in the Ashon start which is excessively challenging due to the flight model.

I found two tricks to help me use it, vectored thrust will correct the flight direction more finely than sideways or vertical thrust. Also colliding with the target usually resulted in stopping with significantly less drift than manual corrections.

The biggest issue is WASD corrections produce way too much acceleration.

For fixes, IMHO the acceleration needs to be reduced but not max speed whch is fine, alternatively a togglable auto-braking mode as there is for SVs could give that fine control when needed and allow switching to higher speeds when needed. Maybe both.

Otherwise having a nippy spacesuit is very useful for the Ashon start. I just think this new flight model needs to be more usable than it is right now.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2022
  2. The Big Brzezinski

The Big Brzezinski Captain

I'm thinking thrust should ramp up as you hold the input. Tap it, get a little bump. Hold it down for a full second, go rocketing off. Just two steps might even be enough combined with a small overall reduction in thrust.

boolybooly likes this.
  3. michael.mccawley

michael.mccawley Lieutenant

It's really frustrating, and continutes to be frustrating all the way to the end. I think, if it's *designed* to be frustrating (encouraging building a gravity generator in your CV, which I rarely did before) there should be either an *installable boost* that has auto-stabilizing jetpacks ... or it's simply a feature of the EVA boost.

Another consequence of this is *mining resources underwater.* Same uncontrollable drift makes it impossible to harvest that one damn fibre plant, or rock. Makes zero sense that you are less stable standing on the bottom than you are swimming an inch above the bottom.

4. Pantera

Pantera Administrator Staff Member

• Developer
  5. michael.mccawley

michael.mccawley Lieutenant