Alpha 7.6 - FEEDBACK: Food rebalancing and template changes

Discussion in 'FAQ & Feedback' started by Hummel-o-War, Jan 30, 2018.

1. Hummel-o-War

Hummel-o-War Administrator Staff Member Community Manager

• Developer
    - Egg can be retrieved from all dinosaurs
    - I removed the Alien Spikes from all recipes as i don't want to create too much of a hazzle searching for them until they can be grown
    - In general the plan is to add more food for self-growing (This might take a while as we need to create multi-stage model for each crop and add the backend code for these)
    - Emergendy Ration. Got the point. ;-)

2. Hummel-o-War

• Developer
    Seems to be a bug. Will check.

3. Hummel-o-War

• Developer
    The Alien Spikes will be removed in the next update.

4. Fraser

Fraser Commander

I'm grateful that attempts are being made to increase the survival aspect to the game and farming etc, not keen on the Spiked Lemon in so many recipes- on our Server we can't seem to find it anywhere!

Would it be possible to have more than one way to make a food? EG: Canned Vegetables, what if you could add any 3-4 types of vegetables plus Tomato to make it - In reality you could make Canned food with anything just as long as you put Tomatoes in as a preservative.

5. Firehound

Firehound Ensign

oh, whew... the alien spike has been addressed.
    Perhaps for rebalancing, rather than make it gatherable, limit what can be grown on ships?

6. LiftPizzas

LiftPizzas Rear Admiral

If we're going to have a galaxy filled with all kinds of planets there should be many different types of fruits, veggies, etc. (Unless the game is intended to suck like NMS.)

Maybe there should be more generic categories, like we have with meat currently. When you pick any type of fruit you get "fruit" and for example when you pick an ahax you get "fruit" and "ahax seed" (for those you can replant.)

The basic food ingredients could be:
    Fruit (tomato, pear, etc)
    Vegetable (cactus, seaweed, etc)
    Meat (Red, dino/bird, insect, fish?)
    Milk (Maybe get these from some creatures without harming/killing them?)
    Egg (steal from protected nest?)
    Grain (wheat, grass, corn)

And then recipes would call for categories, instead of either having 60,000 types of fruit pie and 40,000 types of canned veggies, or wondering why we can only make one combination of canned veggies.

The "medicine" (T6, ZR1, Aloe, cobra leaf, pixie sticks, etc) items could also have categories like this. IIRC you already have multiple plants that give you ZR1 (tulips and mushrooms) so there's already a precedent for that too.

7. Space Beagle

Space Beagle Captain

Yup, that would be great one day - especially for spaceships! - to have closed hydroponic pods that we can upgrade (few tiers for better production) & change (booster slots for different planet types /specialized products). Current growing plots should be still used for general food/stuff mass production.

[​IMG]

8. Gary Parkin

Gary Parkin Captain

Also, why can't we can fruit? If you can get canned veg and canned meat why not canned pears? or canned space pineapple?[/QUOTE]
    I thought of making something like a juice from different fruits - but i am afraid really NEW recipe may have to wait until 8.0.

Maybe I'll create a brainstorming thread so everyone can send in ideas.[/QUOTE]
    Hey, I'd like to be in on this too.

Thank you, I understand, but some of these plants were living outside when I picked them like corn and fiber.

-------------------------
    This is not a rant, I truly understand what the Devs are trying to do and it's way cool. It just needs some adjustments.
    I love that we have to use alien honey for the ham. HA-HA wonderful.

But what the heck happened with Emergency Rations??? Huh, really? They were already unreachable from the new player. IMHO, bad decision. Keep the coffee away from the person that changed this. :) (I'll just buy them)

Next we get eggs from all dinosaurs, and not much meat. You can't eat them. It's like eating a corn dog (Russian roulette).
    If we could use them in something else, then that would be neat, like eggs. Heck, give us the means to make our own recipes based on the food values. That would be super cool. Almost like mixing potions in Skyrim.
    Dinosaurs should be giving way more then 1 piece of meat too. (I wish this was configurable)

Now what's the deal with Spike lemons for canned vegetables??? They only grow on Omicron. So I now can't make canned anything until I go to a second planet? You guys created space oranges and did nothing with them. They are pretty much a waste. Can we use them in place of the lemons maybe?

I feel we should able to grow lemons. In fact, we technically should be able to grow any plant in the game. That would be awesome.

Farming in Empyrion has always been my favorite part, besides building. I only fight when I have to take territory, would rather build and farm, lol.

And last but not least, I love Pach's post. Well thought out.

Pach likes this.
  9. Brimstone

Brimstone Rear Admiral

Dinos drop meat. Dinos drop eggs. How about some dinobacon & eggs? That, plus a little bread and honey sounds like a solid start to a busy day... ;)

Or... waffles. Mmmm

10. Gary Parkin

Gary Parkin Captain

OMG! Waffles. Could use the same picture of that cookie and change it a waffle.

byw, I forgot to mention I'm really excited about the different biomes.

11. Hummel-o-War

• Developer
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2018
  12. Gary Parkin

Gary Parkin Captain

Who's post Hummel? Just to be clear. Last update from Steam was yesterday AM.

13. zulu200

zulu200 Ensign

Hi, I really appreciate the changes made to the food system -- as far as I have read and tested them.

Something is often on my mind and it might have been discussed earlier but it somewhat bothers me:
    Does our character eat cans?

I'm a big fan of the in-game canned food, because of the high perish-timers, but I would like to have the opportunity to re-use the can after eating the contents.
    One would not want to throw away the empty can, but re-cycle it & use the resources as efficient as possible.

For example get some sort of "scrap iron" or "empty can" after consuming canned food, then use m scrap iron pieces to produce n steel plates?!

(Dino-)Bacon & Eggs. Do want!

14. Hummel-o-War

• Developer
  15. Brimstone

Brimstone Rear Admiral

Why? There are already waffles in game. :D

16. Pach

Pach Rear Admiral

I realize these changes are still in experimental and not live yet, but I want to thank you for listening and addressing the core problems people brought up so quickly.

And there was even an apology for the hassle with spike lemons. (I need a little "heart" emoji to put here for that... )

I will just have to cultivate patience and wait to see what you did with all the feedback (I'm on board with the dino eggs and bacon! yum!)

Much appreciation for the fast (and appropriate) response!

malrose1 and rainyday like this.
  17. Arrclyde

Arrclyde Rear Admiral

Just as a feedback and "food for thought", so to say:
    not everybody is playing the experimental version, i dare to say most are not. So maybe if you test such changes for only one day or two on experimental, release a patch that changes the whole game for everybody drastically and then start to slowly fix it only on the experimental might not be ideal. I know that you get a better, more diverse feedback on live than you get on experimental. But those changes that are reverted and that did upset a lot of people has no effect on said people if its only on experimental.

I am not mad or upset at all. Totally relaxed one could say. Mistakes are happening and as long as they get worked on (which you guys do) everything will be fine. Next time it might be a good idea to test those systems for a week, better two before rolling out such a drastic change. But i expect things to be still worked on and corrected after they hit live, simply because on experimental you have the more dedicated players while on live you have the more average user.

How is that speech again: No mater how you do it, you do it wrong. :-D

I have patients and can wait for the patch to hit live servers. It's just good to see that you all are working on it (and communicating of course) with a passion. ;-)

18. Hummel-o-War

• Developer
    Update has just been released to the public!

19. Gary Parkin

Gary Parkin Captain

Thanks Hummel.

"these and others might come back in 8.0 when more plants have become self-grown" YESSSSSS :)

Pach likes this.
  20. Space Beagle

Space Beagle Captain

@Hummel-o-War

Why don't you add 'trader' in Talon village when you tinker POIs for a.8?
    You don't need much of 3D modeling, maybe some tiny touch-ups. Trader will be just one Talon standing in place without spear (and maybe wear some funny hat :rolleyes:)

ATM Talon settlements don't have real purpose (except for some free looting, which I do, and for cheap kills for XP, which I don't do). Some of them are OK for picking free food if it's not dead plants from bad 'POI placement'). Talon Traders with some rare plants & some simple medecine will serve in-game progress.