CURRENTLY not reproducible Constant crashing to desktop

Discussion in 'Currently not reproducible' started by Jown7676, Mar 30, 2024.

1. Jown7676

Jown7676 Ensign

For more information see here Bug Report Template

Build:1.11.40
    Mode:Survival Single player

SERVER NAME:Unknown
    SEED-ID:Unknown

If applicable:
    MODIFIED PLAYFIELDS:None

Reproducibility:Unknown, may be my computer
    Severity:Medium High

Type:Crash to desktop

Summary:Game crashes constantly after only a few minutes.

Description:After playing the game for a few minutes, it will freeze and crash to desktop. Unity crash manager appears and does it's job. Sometimes it will also crash Steam. Attached several logs showing 5 crashes
    within 30 minutes. Seems to be based in D3D11 not being able to load a file.

Steps to Reproduce:
    1) In my case, just play the game for a few minutes.
    2)
    3)

Screenshots, Crash Logs, any other Relevant Information or Download links:

Attached Files:

2. Pantera

Pantera Administrator Staff Member

• Developer
    Hi,
    For the d3d11 error displayed in the logs, I recommend checking whether you have the latest driver installed for your AMD GPU. If the driver is up to date and the issue persists, consider reverting to an older version of the GPU driver.
    Make sure to uninstall the driver via DDU https://www.guru3d.com/download/display-driver-uninstaller-download/ in windows safe mode & when booted back in to windows install the newer/older drivers & try again.

3. Jown7676

Jown7676 Ensign

I did check for any updates and updated what I could. Here is the latest log file.

This one doesn't make any sense to me. The biggest item is a missing resource. I did a file check through Steam and it didn't find any problems.

Attached Files:

4. Jown7676

Jown7676 Ensign

I was able to get some more information. After playing the game again and having it crash, I pulled the log. I also went into the windows system event viewer and found a couple more items. I took screenshots and posting them below.

Does Unity just not like AMD graphics?!?

Attached Files:

5. Pantera

Pantera Administrator Staff Member

• Developer
    Did you try reverting to some older drivers like I mentioned ?

The logs don't show anything really useful just the d3d11 error which is where it starts & we have no fix for as this is at the GPU driver level.

6. Jown7676

Jown7676 Ensign

Okay, this is where is gets weird. I went in and tried to get a runtime log from my GPU. I was using the AMD software that monitors a few AMD things. The reason was because I had seen something like this before with another game and when I replaced the power supply, the problem went away. So I thought, see if there is a power falloff. Simple right?

Now I don't overclock. But there is a setting in the AMD software to "underclock". So on a whim, I turned it on.

And lo and behold, the problem went away!! I don't know why or how, but I've played for a couple of hours straight and no crashing!

So, yeah.

*Update* So I thought the problem went away, and now it's back with a vengeance. I'll keep looking.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2024
    cmguardia likes this.
  7. Jown7676

Jown7676 Ensign

I'm sorry to say but this is getting ridiculous. I have rolled back my driver to two versions ago, no impact. I have ran 3 other games with freshly updated drivers, no issues. I have changed the settings to min, no impact. Set my graphics card to undervolt, worked for a little bit but then got worse. I have scoured the internet looking for problems and the only issue I find is with a third party backup software.

This is the only game that is having the issue with the AMD driver crashing. While I do enjoy this game, the constant crashing makes it frustrating and unplayable. Please close this thread, my efforts to supply information seems to not be going anywhere.

Thank you.

cmguardia likes this.
  8. treker_ed

treker_ed Ensign

What version of windows are you running? This seems daft, but windows 11 does have a habit of installing it's own drivers over any installed AMD drivers!!!! I don't know about Windows 10, but I have a constant battle with my laptop and stopping win 11 from constantly overwriting any AMD GPU drivers I install. For some reason, if it has a newer driver set than the win 11 set, it will re-install those in the background and you will not notice it doing so. Double check what version you think you installed, against what version windows is reporting is installed. Thankfully, my laptop has an AMD API and a Nvidia GPU so wasn't too much of an issue gaming, but I would get errors when running the AMD software.

9. treker_ed

treker_ed Ensign

There are other considerations...
    First off, we don't know your system specs which may help us (the community) to identify any system issues which may be causing any issues, eg age of your system, GPU spec etc. I appreciate that the devs have looked at the logs, but they don't have unlimited time to be helping with issues that do not appear to have the game at the root cause, and from what has been said already, it would seem, that a d3d11 error is being thrown up which suggests that it's the GPU that is at the root of your problem. If we could have your specs, maybe we could help a little more!

As I mentioned to someone else having similar (but not exactly the same) issues - you may be able to run other games, but they do not necessarily use the same game engine as EGS or will be using the same coding solutions as EGS, so won't necessarily be making the same calls to the GPU/CPU/APU as EGS will be making, so things will not be the same. But until we have more information, we can't help you. I'm nat saying that we'll get to the solution any quicker, but at least we'll have a fighting chance.