Drone base attack.

Discussion in 'The Hangar Bay' started by joemorin73, Sep 6, 2016.

1. LiftPizzas

LiftPizzas Rear Admiral

I've always had them stop after a handful of attacks even when setting them to "infinite" before starting a new game. They also never do base attacks if you place your core in an existing structure first, or if you place a starter and pick it back up and then place another starter. It would be cool if there was a lot more to the attacks and they ramped up. Stuff like armored golems coming to punch through your walls and bash doors open to let in the bunch of soldiers who came with in their alien HV.

Thundercraft likes this.
  2. Gray

Gray Commander

3. joemorin73

joemorin73 Captain

I think you are thinking along the same lines I was in another post. It would be nice if the drone threat would scale as you progress. The attackers are calculated based on your size and defense. If you are starting and have a small base with a cannon turret, maybe a few minigun drones at most. If you're now scaled to a large Combat Steel base with all turrets, maybe a hoard of Large drones and troop transports.

4. Isil`Zha

Isil`Zha Commander

Yeah the PvE needs to scale up as you progress. A single 30mm cannon is all I've ever needed so far to completely defend a base. Up in orbit you only have those very few set amount of drones that do nothing as well - CV just wipes them before anything happens and then there's nothing to to worry about. In fact it's quite easy to take out all the drones with no return fire with 2 gatling guns on a simple SV.

I'm not really interested in PvP at this stage - I'm more interested in just building with a few friends. However we all want some actual PvE challenge. The PvE stops being a challenge very early. The same drones you can take out with your handgun are the ones that continue to come out. Our space station and CV are both loaded with guns. The CV's see very minimal use, and the space stations have never fired a shot. The only real threats are on foot, and those are few and far between with a lot to be desired (crummy AI, awkward shooting that doesn't feel quite right, no upgrades for your pilot - yes I understand it's early Alpha for much of this and expect it won't stay this way.) I'd like to see at least some simple escalating challenge - drones get much more HP, are more aggressive, more of them show up, etc. We should have to actually put up some kind of defenses. As it is now, once you get to space it basically turns into creative mode. Maybe periodically a new CV shows up to launch more waves of drones until you take it out - perhaps even after a while it will hunt you down. We shouldn't be able to completely eliminate all threats forever.

dichebach and Caiden! like this.
  5. Caiden!

Caiden! Lieutenant

I agree with everything here. My group stopped playing for now because PvE is just not interesting once we have our ships.
    Drones are trivial, and bases aren't that difficult.
    The game is very safe. It will be wonderful when they implement things like POIs being reclaimed, and AI controlled ships.

6. arg821

arg821 Commander

Yeah the drones are pretty weak. What I do on my server, is modify the drone bases quite extensively by putting a ton load more external turrets on it, then put a heap more alien spawners, and internal sentry guns for the insides. It took a faction of 5 players almost two hours to clear it out....was quite entertaining! Once I get one nice and sorted I keep my 4 .area files in a folder, and just upload & replace the default ones every couple of days to keep active POIs everywhere :)

Andy.

7. arg821

arg821 Commander

Hey matey - if you think bases are too easy, come over to our server.... Venatus Australia...... and then have a look through my modded drone base. I'm betting it will take you at least 2 hours ...... if not a lot more.

Andy.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2016