Empyrion Server Creation Tool

Discussion in 'The Hangar Bay' started by TheVisad, Feb 20, 2016.

?

Are you interested in seeing more?

1. Yes

94.3%
  2. No

2.9%
  3. More Features!

2.9%
  1. TheVisad

TheVisad Ensign

Been looking over the changes in the playfield.yaml files and this will require a new playfield settings page (or three) to handle the creatures, terrain and decorations and the biome layouts. I updated the main post with the corrections for the new sector.yaml addons (color and icons). I finalized major portions of the export and corrected the files for the new features. I also added a RSS ticker for the site considering the above request.

2. Vexray

Vexray Captain

awesome man, keep up the good work! Cant wait to see the finished product =)

3. DJDosKiller

DJDosKiller Ensign

i'm waiting for the release before i create my own server ^^

4. rogier

rogier Lieutenant

visad i was waiting for your tool to come out as that was the one i was willing to use, good idea's, good work ...so don't give up buddy...keep up the good work ..

5. OC2901

OC2901 Ensign

hi there!

when is release date? maybe its time for an alpha test release?

6. Ric

Ric Ensign

Hey there visad wanted to say new to the game (only a month) but in that time i have found few bright spots of insight into making this a super fun game(info on how to personalize the multiplayer private server) but reading this and the work you are doing is making me drool with exitement. hope you will continue the work and help us less smart people. Thank you very much

7. Keith Hovey

Keith Hovey Captain

As a server admin this tool would be epic... I wouldnt mind one bit paying for a server management tool that makes these kinds of changes that much easier. Just saying.

Ronin likes this.
  8. nickt629

nickt629 Lieutenant

this looks amazing cannot wait for a release!

9. LiftPizzas

LiftPizzas Rear Admiral

For the biomes it would be really nice to have a graphic display for the elevation ranges.

10. TheVisad

TheVisad Ensign

Set aside some time to work on this and have made changes to the code to bring it up to date with the existing config changes that the devs had made.

arg821, dtmullican and nickt629 like this.
  11. nickt629

nickt629 Lieutenant

So excited for this! much easier than hand typing files!

12. Vexray

Vexray Captain

You have no idea.

Ronin likes this.
  13. filmgrip

filmgrip Ensign

take my money... seriously take my money how much do you want ! with an sevrer buy/sell system and and procedural worlds we have no mans sky x 10,000 . start a kitstarter I will help fund this.

14. dtmullican

dtmullican Commander

I would also love a copy of this if possible. Out of curiosity, what is it written in?

15. shinooni

shinooni Ensign

This needs to be released ASAP. Will make server content creation so much easier.

16. zztong

zztong Rear Admiral

That's the beautiful thing about external data being stored in files with open data structures. External tools can be made without having to integrate them into the growing game code base. Fans can make the early tools and the Devs can either endorse them or eventually release their own tools.

As a former Software Engineer, I'd encourage any Dev team to take this approach. You see wonderful things spring up, like the 7 Days To Die Mod culture, as that games data is all in XML files. People can customize the NPCs, loot tables, spawn tables, and more.

Some games allow folks to add images and models to the game.

I look forward to a time when game designers might similarly open up NPC AI/behavior, by supporting an open scripting system in their games. This would allow Devs to Fan-Source content for each other.

17. Mikemc

Mikemc Commander

He needs 85.00 to release a license for some part of it.

Please keep working on this and get at least something out the door. Imagine what mapping could have been if the makers of FPS and RTS editors from the 90's had quit because another program was doing the same thing; and all of those Emulators too! Focus on what you, not others are doing :).

dcirilos likes this.
  18. shinooni

shinooni Ensign

If that was a real figure I would donate that just to get it out the door for the community.

19. dtmullican

dtmullican Commander

I believe that what he said was that he uses an updater component that you would have to purchase for him to be able to release the source code. No component I can think of would disallow distributing a compiled application because you used their component...no one would buy or use them.

Since I never received a reply as to what it was written in or if he would make the source or compiled application available, I have begun writing my own....don't expect it really soon though, as I'm not a professional programmer...I'm just a Server/Virt Engineer that is more of a generalist and has done some programming on/off over the years. I'm putting it together in Delphi/RAD Studio 10.1 Berlin in case anyone is curious.

20. Jascha

Jascha Administrator

Hey,

out of the same reasons, we build a complement to his tool (Our Tool: http://empyriononline.com/threads/emp-playfield-generator-epg-v1-02-0.7029/). Still hope this tool here gets released, since it is a lot of work he put in. And everyone trying to do the same will spend a long time to rebuild it.
    We started with our tool, but would be happy if someone is interested in combining the efforts.

So far we concentrated on the Sectors-File (basicly done) which is still quite easy. We were still hoping that it would be a complement to this tool, but as everyone we are still waiting for the release. Our tool concentrated on making it easy to position the universe by drag and drop and a graphical display. But the real big thing... the playfields - which looks amazing in this tool here :_( - is a thing still to be done.
    So if you are serious about creating it, let me know and maybe we can combine the efforts. No need to create the wheel 5 times ;). Only difference is that I'm a .Net Programmer... Not much to do with Delphi etc...

Keith Hovey likes this.