Fixed Game freezes or won't continue to load after the start Menu

Discussion in 'Fixed (Read Only)' started by Dirty Bird, Jun 4, 2020.

1. Dirty Bird

Dirty Bird Ensign

I do get the dialogue box to show up after about a min. or so that wants me to mail or continue, being i don't use the windows mail client it can't send anything anyway so i always check the continue tab.

I posted this in the Steam forums as well. Some one else seems to have this same problem. Only theirs was with the main game. and on a laptop , Im on a PC. and i play this game nearly everyday.

I have the same problem only it's in Experimental.

Thinking it's something with the new Data Base. If it is then when 12 comes out I won't be able to play the game anymore. This is not acceptable.

Is the new Data Base Win 10 only? As that wouldn't make any sense if it is. Considering that Win 10 is built off of Windows 7 and 8. And i can't put windows 10 on this system.

The game will load to the menu ( Tells me memory is low which it shouldn't be )

This old system has 8 gigs of Gaming ram and a EVGA GTX 1070 with 8 gigs of ram, and 8 gigs of virtual ram. on a SSD. Have a older gen 7 intel processor thats 4 cores, Task manager shows the ram at 60 percent for the whole system. And no the CPU has 4 physical cores, doesn't have virtualization on the CPU.

My new system with Windows 10 pro is down and the MB is in process of being RMAed back to the factory. ( with the Pandemic going on this might take some time to get it back and my new system up and running again.)

So i'm on my old Win 7 pro system. Everything : Drivers .Net and anything this old system needed is fully updated. And i can still play any other game out there without a problem just click and they load and play. Including the regular stable version of Empyrion.

I can play the latest version of the game in the normal mode without a problem.

Just not the experimental version of the game.

I have over 1600 hr's into this game. So not a noob at the many problems in the game. I don't play on Multi-Player. Just Survival modes and that's where i also do most of my Building.

I have removed the game and reinstalled the game in Experimental , I have verified all files with Steam, have recheck all drivers .net , C++ everything i could think of that a game needs to run.

It just freezes up at the load the planets gives me the error screen, the music still plays and it looks like it's still running. I click to continue and it tries to load. Task manager says it is running. Process's says it's not it's just sitting there doing nothing no CPU usage at all. and have let it sit for more then 30 min's doing it's thing.

I have used a Gaming tool to shut down un-needed process's as well thinking maybe system resources but that didn't help either.

I'm Stumped at what the problem could be, Unless it's with the New Data Base. let me know what i need to send you.

Attached Files:

2. Pach

Pach Rear Admiral

Probably not because of Win 7; my PC is Win 7, and I have been playing A12 on it since it was released.

(I know that doesn't help you, but it eliminates one factor...)

Germanicus likes this.
  3. Pantera

Pantera Administrator Staff Member

• Developer
    Please attach a client log & crashes folder (if one is generated):

1. Client log location:
      Right click on Empyrion in your steam library > Properties > Local files > Browse local files > Logs
    then make a copy of the folder which is named by the build number currently released & compress it.

1. Crashes folder location:
      C:\Users\<YourUserName>\AppData\LocalLow\Eleon Game Studios\Empyrion - Galactic Survival -

or

C:\Users\<YourUserName>\AppData\Local\Temp\Eleon Game Studios
    & also make a copy of that & compress it then drag & drop both of them into your reply box or use the upload a file option.

Can you also check out the troubleshooting tips here https://empyriononline.com/threads/...own-issues-troubleshooting.47082/#post-296904

Germanicus likes this.
  4. Dirty Bird

Dirty Bird Ensign

There is no Elion Game Studios folder in Local: C:\Users\<YourUserName>\AppData\Local\Temp\Eleon Game Studios.

Wonder if thats part of the problem or does this file only get created once you have started the game and it running with a save file

But here's the log files from both the main directory and the C: users, local low

I have already went through most of the tips and forums on similar problems with the game. But will check again.

Had to upload as a .rar

Many Thanks for any Help

Dirty Bird

Attached Files:

5. Pantera

• Developer
    How much of that RAM is available before the game starts ?
    How much shows as total in use when the issue happens ?
    What is the max size of your windows page file ?

6. Dirty Bird

Dirty Bird Ensign

Page file is set to 16 gigs

The game is and anything else is using only 60% of the 8 gigs of Physical Ram the system has when it's running. This is playing the game. Have check this when it's loading and it shows around 20 to 60%during load, CPU is at around 30 to 45 percent.

I get around 60 FPS playing the game with this old system. This locked in default in the options, i also set it to fast when this problem started. This old machine can play this normally in very high settings without any problems.

I always shut anything down that i can that's not needed for Games, Old Habit, even Malwarebytes. though it still has a few process's that run in the background. I even have a game booster i have used that shuts down other process's that games don't need to run in the background and it makes no difference .

Though Steam has a lot of process's that run.

( I have never needed a page file set that high before for any game ( and windows will handle the page file as needed generally ) This game needs to be optimised badly, if it needs 16 gigs of page file. It was set to 12 gigs before i tried the work arounds and have went through that whole list.

Have rechecked for updates

Reinstalled my .Nets and patched and repaired with what microsoft had you do. and my .Net is upto version 4.8

Reinstalled Microsofts C++ have the latest version

Have tried to run it in windowed mode.

When it starts to load the planets the icons in the top left will start to spin around and then it gets a Error wants me to : Continue-Continue and Mail -Shutdown and mail.

If i hit continue or continue and mail it then just continues even though the loading icon in the top left doesn't show, it does show 10 to 12 cpu use, and i have left it running over 30 min's. And the Music still plays in the background though it shuts down after a while. I posted screen shots in my first post.

The game plays and Loads just fine with the old data base. Just not the new data base that the game is going to be using.

And i uninstalled the Game, then reinstalled the game.

Thinking i should uninstall and remove all files related to the game and see if this fixs it after i do a reinstall though this will take some time as i don't have a lot of bandwidth, only 6mb download. So it takes me Hours to download. And i verify the files after the game is reinstalled with Steam.

Will keep trying differant things.

Here's some Pic's with Ram,CPU ,Disk Usage.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I tried to play the last game with the new 12.5 update and it loaded, of course it shows all kinds of errors in the control panel, just want to see if a saved game would load and play it did.

So i then left that game and tried to start a New Game as a test. same problem freezes. so it's has to be something with the new start game or something else, i'm stumped and i use to do game beta testing back in the day.

Sending the DXdiag file along with this to though it says the page file is around 3400 or so ,it's set to 16384 MB as max

And my GPU has actual 8 Gigs of Physical Ram. I do have a test 1050 GPU i can use though it has only 2 gig's of ram and a ASUS RTX 2060 ( from my new system ) though with this motherboard i would only get maybe 50 Percent out of what it's capable of doing.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 6, 2020
  7. Dirty Bird

Dirty Bird Ensign

Sorry about the Double Post

I think

I Fixed it. At least so far lol.

What i did, and maybe a soultion to some other peoples problems.

I had to remove anything on the system that was Empyrion and Elion Game Studios. Then did a New Clean Install.

The game is playing and loading very quick and smooth so far.

I had uninstalled with Steam several times and reinstalled this Didn't do what was needed.

If some one else has this same problem i would suggest they uninstall with Steam.

Then go into the C: Programs /Steam /Steam Apps /Common " And remove the file that is Empyrion. Just put it in the Trash or Delete. "

Note: If you have custom work, save out the Blue Print folder just copy it to your desktop for later.

Then go to: C:\Users\<YourUserName>\AppData\Local\Temp\Eleon Game Studios " Remove anything Eleon Game Studios, Just Trash it or delete. "

Then restart your system before you install the game.

This will let Steam do a Clean Install.

The problem is Steam only checks to make sure the folders are all there

" It can't check the code for any corruption "

Verify that all the correct files are there and in the games directorys is all it does.

After you remove all the files and delete them restart your system before installing the Game. then after it has installed verify the game files then restart your system again. Then try and play the game. This is the method I did and the game really flies now.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Note:
    I copy out the Save Folder as it has the Blue Prints, and my save for the last few games. If I had something I was building and didn't get it Blue Printed before the update. Then I can download a earlier archive version of the game and replay and Blue Print those items I was building. Then I copy those BP's out and put them in the original BP folder and install it in the game. I have tested this and it works fine with the New Data Base.

I also Make a Copy and Archive the base game of a new Clean Instal to another drive. Saves me having to redownload with my limited bandwidth I have. Though i didn't use this archive and delete out for the New one with the New Data Base.

Reason:
    Being that Eleon Changed out the old Data Base to a New Data Base I would have recommended this to begin with to make sure people wouldn't have any problems with the game. Glad they did change out the Data Base as the game is much more fluid now, at least so far.

This could very well be some of the Bugs and a cure for many of them that people could be experiencing.

As probably not all the bugs are with the New Data Base, But caused with the Merging of the new Data Base and code that may be corrupted by the merge or already corrupted.

Games can still run with some corrupted code. Though the game may be glitchy some things might not activate or just not work as intended . I seen a lot of this in these forums. This might be a help for some of those Bugs. And save the Dev's some work that's not really needed, due to not finding a cause. or the problem not being reproducible.

Not everyone may have this problem either. It has also to do with machine hardware, drivers, .Net and a slew of other things the game may need to just run. I went through them all that was Suggested before I did the clean wipe and clean install.

I did not touch the registry as i didn't think it was needed. And i Don't suggest you do it either unless you know what you are doing. Or the Dev's Guide you through it. you can really Bork your OS if you don't know what you are doing.

I modded games for many years, run many a Server, forums, admined. and beta tested many games in the past

This was a method that we used for DayZ back in the day you had to use Arma II to run DayZ. And S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shadow of Chernobyl, and its other 2 games. This just eliminated many problems and some unnecessary bug fix's though DayZ was a Bug all by itself.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2020
    Myrmidon likes this.
  8. Pantera

• Developer
    Thanks for the info hopefully it remains ok for you.
    I added reinstallation steps to the guide here under
    "General startup issues trouble shooting:"

then:
    "Completely uninstall Empyrion & then reinstall after doing the following steps"
    https://empyriononline.com/threads/...own-issues-troubleshooting.47082/#post-296904

Pach likes this.
  9. Myrmidon

Myrmidon Rear Admiral

A call this a perfect reply to the issue. Thank you also.

10. Dirty Bird

Dirty Bird Ensign

Thank You all for helping me with this. Though had to do some old school stuff. Keep up the good work.

PS could you look into a suggestion make a Bed block for SV's. Just one simple block people could make a bunk out of.

Thank You again.

Pach likes this.