General

Discussion in 'FAQ & Feedback' started by EleonGameStudios, Jun 26, 2015.

1. Slam Jones

Slam Jones Rear Admiral

If you're in creative mode, you can enable GodMode for a much easier time.

- Open the console (~ button by default)
    - Type in Godmode, press Enter
    - You can now use G to activate/deactivate GodMode at a whim during your current session.

In GodMode, you will behave as if there is no gravity, and you can move much quicker than with the JetPack (up to 224m/s if you are moving forward while holding Shift and Ctrl). Plus it can be a lot more smooth at times. Definitely has saved me a lot of time in a few projects :)

----------------------

Also, this. So very much this.

I've worked in Unity a bit, and I can tell you for a fact, attaching an extra, toggle-able light to the player model is NOT difficult in the slightest. I can do it in about 10 minutes on a blank game slate. Attach the SpotLight to the player model, tune it for the range/brightness/angle desired, add a hook for a script, build a simple 5 or so line script to handle toggling it (check to see what state it's in, and invert that state. Easy. Don't even need an extra variable... just base it directly off of whether the light is Enabled or not, so transferring playfields and loading saves won't cause issues), and bam, you're done.

Making it look good may take work, but implementing the basic form is one of the simplest things ever.

(Also turning up the ambient lighting just a hair would be nice... but that might be asking too much :p )

Last edited: Sep 21, 2016
  2. Tyrax Lightning

Tyrax Lightning Rear Admiral

While in your Base, press 'P', & Group stuff together, then ya can turn Groups of stuff on & off, so ya can for example have your Lights & Grow Lights off, but have your Turrets & Fridges left on along with the Base itself. ;)

Slam Jones likes this.
  3. zztong

zztong Rear Admiral

Yes. I appreciate the advice. That's all basic stuff. I go beyond that even. For instance, you can put cargo boxes on an unpowered SV, rather than pay 1kw each for them. I can make a base that auto-powers off the grow lights after a growth cycle.

But I was attempting to present a perspective where the player spends significant time away from a multiplayer game. On server where time does not stop, a running even an efficient base will go through a lot of fuel while you're not playing. If you turn off the base with your fridge, your food will spoil.

I appreciate and enjoy the engineering challenges associated with managing power, finding efficiencies. I suspect other casual players might not, hence the feedback.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2016
    Tyrax Lightning likes this.
  4. Tyrax Lightning

Fortunately other Energy Sources, like Solar Power & such, is Incoming. We're all looking forward to it. :)

5. zztong

zztong Rear Admiral

I'm so happy to hear it. I know the Devs have so many things to work on and I certainly appreciate their hard work.

6. Lsimm

Lsimm Ensign

What next.

Sooooooo, firstly just want to be clear, this game is awesome, I love the format, the amount of freedom to roam/build/fight/conquer etc....

However.

I've been playing single player survival for a while now and am starting to struggle to work out what the point is anymore? I've built multiple bases on different planets, I've visited all the current planets, killed creatures/aliens/drones, mined every different ore, built HV's, SVs and CVs, taken over multiple alien bases (on planets and in space), grown crops, dug holes, died many times and enjoyed plenty of sunsets, while standing atop snow capped mountains gazing out over the glorious scenery, so now I do what???

There's no more technologies to unlock, nothing else to visit and no incentive to keep doing the same.

Is the end game to destroy the cores of all alien structures? Or something else?

I know there's a lot of new stuff coming in upcoming updates but what am I actually supposed to be aiming to do? It kind of feels like there should be something else to aim for, like new technologies, trading to make money, destroying the alien race, building an empire... etc etc...

Thoughts?

7. Tyrax Lightning

This game is still in Alpha, a LOT of its Late Game, including but not limited to a Procedurally Generated Galaxy, has not yet gotten completed & Implemented. It'll be quite a wait.

Lsimm likes this.
  8. Lsimm

Lsimm Ensign

Yeah, that's what I figured to some degree (that a lot has yet to be implemented), of course I am fully aware that this is in Alpha still, just would be good if there was some clue as to what the emphasis will be on in the long term. Especially as the basics of mining and building take up a lot of time, so would hate to waste away hours doing something that wont actually bring about any benefit once there is a clearer direction in place.
    Essentially would just be nice to know what to align your priorities to now, in preparation of future updates that may give the game a clearer direction.

I'll probably give the game a break until a few more major updates have been released, then test out whatever is new... and repeat.

9. Fienyx

Fienyx Lieutenant

Enjoying the game very much so far. One thing though, the noise that is supposed to be crickets of frogs sounds more like a tire valve with to valve stem. Could it be made quieter or just removed. Has already caused me migraines 2x.

10. Monster

Monster Lieutenant

It's not quite a bug, be very close to it. Shutter Doors are nearly impossible to use, when you have several next to each other. The problem is that they open automatically *before you are even in range* to control them manually. And if they do open/close automatically, they also ignore the "open/close" command (using F) you sent them manually.

Imagine having a large hangar, with (in my case) 3 "pairs" of 4x4 shutter doors next to each other. When you approach them they open automatically, but also close automatically when you move away. So I move near the first one, it opens. If I move toward thee next one, because all 3 pairs need to be open at the same time, the first one closes again! You can manually close and open again the first one instead, but that makes no difference; as soon as you move away, it closes again!

Basically, I have to turn my CV off every time I fly out (or in) with my SV. As this wastes a whole fuel cell, this is less then optimal.

I see two main solutions:

1) Fix the range for "F" and "open when player is near", so that you can press F before it opens/closes automatically.
    2) Make them open automatically for SV/HV too.

1) Would be better IMHO.

11. Robot Shark

Robot Shark Rear Admiral

Mostly unrelated, but I remembered an old engineer joke I thought the DEV's would appreciate.
    Especially when you think abut how the block names have changed between builds.

So here is the question:
    How was god able to make the world in only seven days?

... he did not have to worry about backwards compatibility.

Monster and Tyrax Lightning like this.
  12. Monster

Monster Lieutenant

Mostly likely, you will have to restart with a new world anyway when major changes are brought in (so it won't make a difference if what you did was aligned with the long-term plan or not). I already have to do that and no major changes happened, and I haven't been playing for that long, IMO. Any new plant, base, even NPC/animal doesn't seem to show if you created the world with an older version. You can still play your old world, but miss many of the new things... At least that is what it's like for me.

13. Pantera

Pantera Administrator Staff Member

• Developer
    I wasn't sure where to put this for Ill put it here for now (maybe move it to suggestions)

What do think of the arachnids have a nest like starship troopers ?

The idea could be you have to clean out the nest & kill a queen to stop them spawning in the area you find it.

14. nightmaredream.com

nightmaredream.com Ensign

Alpha 4 early suggestions
    1- allow more than 1x ATM machine(even banks has more than one ATM) <Nevermind, this doesn't seem like being an issue with the red and orange blueprints>
    2- allow more than one repair unit (still giving the power of only one unit and have the rest inactive but still animated, for decoration purpose)
    3- re-adjust the snininess of planting plots's metal texture... It's too much x) HAHA
    4- expend the prompt about "conflicting blocks" when loading blueprints to offer a list of items to remover whenever appliable...
    5- LCD screens should scroll extra text, integrate the already existing symbols and allow some pre-set scripts like high scores and other players's stats, bounties and all. (Bounties where griefers or too aggressive players gets a bounty on their head to raise their death count[Target deathcount: Reward per death])
    6- when giving a purpose to a decoration block, like the ATM for instance, leave a diferent variant of the same block (tweak the shape a bit or the texture) into the decorations blocks and when loading an old vessal, have the decoration block to load instead of the new purposeful item's entity. (As posted on STEAM, i'll either edit or re-comment for newer suggestions/feedbacks :) )
    7- The new multitool's skin is very bad... The old one clearly shows that the tool is as it fits the color of its cartridges... The new one doesn't even look like a repair tool at all... And tho... With the new blocks's health value, a repair tool MK2 is way too weak to fix a ship in time. Even thought there's a new item meant to repair ships, whenever you're on a fight and need quick repairs, you'll need your repair tool and it has to be efficient :3
    8- General textures's emissive textures (like light pad texture) are now too pronounced and it's impossible to diferency paint and light. Seems like you should revert to old shaders.
    9- This update really messed blueprints somehow, my CV shows an error message in the blueprint window such as "contains too many of a X type of block" or "saved with wrong version" or "contains forbiden blocks" while the vessal's been created on a strict survival server... This shouldn't ever happens. Always develop keeping backward-compatibility in mind or it'll end in a mess :eek:
    10- Texture bug with "computer table" wher middle screen's image is tilting to grey when moving viewpoint.
    11- set 3rdperson camera to center of cockpit and not center of gravity, it isn't ready yet, seemingly. My ship is perfectly symetric, yet, the camera is all tilted to the left, like, drastically.
    12- Corner wall block shape gives a badly stretched texture. (speaking of this, a lot of textures aren't applied teh same from right to left and also, aren't disposed the same on faces making some splitted faces to paint half in an orientation and whole on other orientations. Unwrapping issues.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2016
  15. Jambock

Jambock Ensign

Artificial horizon please. Simple to do and very useful inside planet atmospheres.

Moralarty and Tyrax Lightning like this.
  16. Osskey

Osskey Lieutenant

Guys, there really should be some sort of inertial dampener block just to make vessels fly right without having to spend all day trying to work out spatial mechanics and cog stuff. The HV's are just not worth the effort anymore.

17. Specter92

Specter92 Ensign

I gotta say, I've loved Empyrion, but I've always known someday there would be an update that would ruin the game for me. Please understand that I am not angry, just sad that I will no longer be playing one of my favorite games, at least until the extreme weight increase for SVs and HVs and the hard caps on weapon systems is changed. Alpha 4.0 has ruined every base, SV, HV, and CV build I have made for the past year. The update has left all of my SVs flight models grossly under performing and now that there is a hard cap on turrets, my combat CVs under gunned. Having to redesign ships to accommodate for the changes has become a drain on me and can no longer continue to make builds that I come to depend on, just to be rendered useless in a few months. It's been a fun ride, met great people, had epic battles, but I can no longer continue to play this game. Perhaps if weapon placement limits and SV, HV weight is a little more balanced, I will come back. Until then good luck to the community and thank you Eleon Studios for your hard work.

Moralarty likes this.
  18. Ceabras

Ceabras Commander

The limit on subscribed Steam Workshop blueprints is a known issue, but I would like to see an update that allows players to view more than 100 subscribed blueprints in-game. Saving the blueprints and then unsubscribing is not a good solution, because then you no longer receive any updates to the blueprint from the original creator.

Moralarty and Tyrax Lightning like this.
  19. dichebach

dichebach Captain

Seems like a good place to post this:

Wow! This game is fantastic!

Still definitely a wip but so good already :)

Question: what language is used in the source code? I need a job: C++ is my favorite but I do some Java too . . . ;)

20. dichebach

dichebach Captain

Yep! Same here. Quite impressive! Also very little lag or graphical glitching. Can play for hours with only minimal signs of software aging as well!

Only bought the game on Sunday and I already got my money's worth, though I expect I'll be playing it many hundreds of hours more as well.

No idea who "Eleon Studios" is, but it seems you guys know what you are doing! :)

The only thing I worry about with this game: the PvP dynamic overrules the PvE and turns what is a fantastic core game into something less pleasant. It seems unlikely, and it appears that the designers realize that striking a balance between the demands of the two play modes is highly advised (the presence of so many reasonably good computer opponents and at least templates for something like a computer-opponent factional role play/warfare/storyline are pretty clear indicators to me).

PvP is great except for two things: 1. Being good at persistent MMORPG PvP games basically necessitates that your life revolves around said game; 2. Even when one is highly accomplished in such a game, trolls, griefers, and just the general "friction" that results from conflicting demands from RL / game make such long-term hobbies bitter sweet a lot of the time