Fixed Insane memory use and then freeze frame unplayable

Discussion in 'Fixed (Read Only)' started by Scotsman, May 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scotsman

Scotsman Ensign

I've tried every possible graphic setting in the past...formerly ran the game at the highest resolution available with all setting maxed. Only game that is exhibiting this is Empyrion Alpha 10. The nine branch ran without issue on the same rig, so its something peculiar to the Alpha thats different.

It feels like it's related to structures somehow....planet generation is fine, but memory usage is exploding on hitting the structures portion of the load...up until that time memory usage is in the 8-9 GB range which is fine...but regardless of game type, once we get into structures, thats where the issue begins...

Just tried a creative game and the game eventually loaded....but memory usage is at 13.04 GB right now and its unplayable in a freeze frame mode. Even hitting escape results in a very delayed response...many seconds for anything to happen or anything to pop open.

Given the limited structures in game in creative...it really feels like a conditional memory leak of some sort, or a missed cleanup and memory release. No issues at all with the game until Alpha 10 but its unplayable for me in this form. No other issues with any other unity or steam games...only alpha 10.

Last edited: May 18, 2019
    Germanicus likes this.
  2. Germanicus

Germanicus Rear Admiral

I forgot :rolleyes: or did not read it, but the game worked for you with the public 9.7 branch?

3. Scotsman

Scotsman Ensign

It worked fine...this only started with Alpha 10...I've always run experimental without issue until Alpha 10. This is also running on Samsung SSD with room to spare so there is no I/O issue here... It's something in this .exe. I've tried Alpha 10 under the latest video drivers as well as the older variant I was running and its no different. 9.X was also running fine under this DirectX variant...no issues at all...so doubting it's anything to do with DirectX.

I can go revert to the public branch again but I know what the result will be. That will run fine...back in a few...I'll try it to be sure.

4. Germanicus

Germanicus Rear Admiral

Ok. Understood. Just an idea...
    When I shuffled my EGS today to the SSD and started it Windows prompted to me to confirm a Firewall warning with change to the "C" programs which I had to confirm for OK. Did you get this too and confirmed it? Not that Windows Firewall is blocking it in parts...I mean

5. jlego

jlego Captain

You didn't mention: have you tried a clean install of your Game Ready drivers?

Also, you mention that it started with Alpha 10, but if you tried builds before the current one (2450), were any of them okay, or did the problem start with 2446? Any programs you may have installed immediately prior to that (even if they aren't related to the game)?

elmo likes this.
  6. Kard

Kard Commander

@Scotsman : I am having similar issues with 10x on win7, and have noticed some changes based on location (also SP starter Temperate Survival planet). If you get a chance, can you see if your results are the same?
    - Inside a structure, such as my initial shelter, FrameRate is fairly smooth.
    - But walk Outside, as in the starter biome, it's extremely slow.
    - If I'm in an HV hovering over the middle of a large lake, it is smoother.
    - Underwater however, swimming near the bottom of that same position, it's extremely and increasingly slow.
    Have not checked other biomes yet, but it seems to get better a little when I am away from dense vegetation and trees. I'm going to be traveling more to monitor this. I tend to set Weather Clear as well to eliminate weather effects on these checks...storms tend to slow things down considerably. Just checking to see if trees/grass/etc. are the problem again, as they were back in 9.5(?) until it was fixed.

7. Scotsman

Scotsman Ensign

Update: Deleted everything and did a clean install of the public branch of the game. Same issue with the current public release now so I am now beginning to wonder if this may due to the updated unity engine somehow. Were any changes pushed to public on or about the time alpha 10 was released? Both public and alpha 10 now exhibit the same symptoms on my system with memory usage in the 12.5-13 gb range and freeze frame game play. There were absolutely nop gameplay issues before...it was well behaved. (I dont get a chance to play daily hence the on or about comment)

No installation of anything new on the system software wise other than windows defender definition updates. I checked all the other games in my steam portfolio and all play as before...empyrion is the only one exhibiting these odd behaviors. I did update my nvidea drivers to current when I updated to the alpha 10 release.

No indications or prompts of changes in firewall behaviors...both norton and windows defender are as they were minus definition file update for defender. No odd behavior on the part of norton or anything else on game start.

It all points to the .exe

8. jlego

jlego Captain

Try going back to alpha 8 (the latest version available on Steam that doesn't have the Unity upgrade. If you have issues with that also, try disabling the on-screen overlay in the GeForce Experience settings - I notice you have that enabled (NVidia Share in your task manager) and I know that makes certain games misbehave (on my machine and on many others', Assassin's Creed III suffers from strange camera issues with it enabled)

elmo likes this.
  9. Scotsman

Scotsman Ensign

Problem resolved on public branch and alpha 10:

Clean install of video drivers cleared this up. Be advised that simply doing a driver update via Gforce Experience may result in these memory issues under windows 7. Anyone having windows 7 memory issues like these needs to do a clean driver install...simply updating won't cut it. 430.64 is the current driver release and seems to work as expected on both public and alpha.

Pach, jlego and Germanicus like this.
  10. Germanicus

Germanicus Rear Admiral

That's good news!:D I am happy for your that your issue has been solved:cool:

jlego likes this.
  11. Scotsman

Scotsman Ensign

Thanks for the help all - might suggest to the others out there having this extreme lag and memory issue in windows 7 that they do a clean reinstall of video drivers...especially with nvidia cards

Pach, jlego and Germanicus like this.
  12. jlego

jlego Captain

Glad to hear you were able to resolve it :)

elmo and Germanicus like this.
  13. Pantera

Pantera Administrator Staff Member

• Developer
    Good to hear!

14. Andipro

Andipro Lieutenant

How did you uninstall the old Nvidia video driver?

15. Scotsman

Scotsman Ensign

download the latest geforce experience...when you go to update your drivers avoid express and click custom install...there is an option at the bottom of the custom page for a clean driver install which entirely deletes the old driver.

Pach likes this.
  16. jlego

jlego Captain

You don't need to, the installer will handle that. There are two ways to do a clean install of Game Ready drivers:
    1. By going to the Drivers page in GeForce Experience, click the dots button to the right of your current drivers and choosing "Reinstall drivers". Alternatively, install any update if there is one available and choose "Custom Install" instead of "Express Install"
    2. Download the current WHQL driver from the NVidia site (useful if you don't use GeForce Experience).
    Whichever method you choose, there'll be an option during the install to perform a clean install (can't remember the exact wording because it's been a while since I did one), so make sure that's checked and it'll automatically handle proper uninstallation.

Pach and Andipro like this.
  17. Andipro

Andipro Lieutenant

jlego likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.