Steps to Building an In-game Economy

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by michaelhartman89, Jul 17, 2017.

?

In favor of expanding the Economic System

1. Yes

148 vote(s)
    70.8%
  2. No

9 vote(s)
    4.3%
  3. Yes for Economic System, but no to Blueprint charge

52 vote(s)
    24.9%
  1. michaelhartman89

michaelhartman89 Rear Admiral

This will be nice once we have procededural generation and you can just scout the planet before embarking and wasting valuable resources to travel to a system that has been used up by players like me.

As for the meteorites on servers, would you still leave them active or try to push the player off into the infinite universe around them?

So many new players want to hang out on the planets near the starting playfields and never journey out and explore.

As far as professions go, I'm on board with that idea too. At least require players to have a Trader class when trading High level items with traders. This could prop the black market as players find a way around that, and then add in an in a illegal trade system that is monitored by authorities.

Once a player conducts an illegal trade, put a bounty out on his head and post his location for a short time.

As bounty levels go up, allow them to earn more respect in that field with higher skill bonuses.

Ofcourse this wouldn't be the only class available for a profession, I just used it as an example. You could have a soldier class, law enforcement, mercenary, private security, pirate, smuggler, farmer, miner etc.

This would probably work best once modding is fully implemented and most of the features are in game.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2017
    Tyrax Lightning and Gatt like this.
  2. Tyrax Lightning

Tyrax Lightning Rear Admiral

I think them as Renewable 'Bags of Cheetos-sized' refill of Resources is useful for if a Player gets 'defeated' they can Mine these to slowly get back on their feet & recover eventually instead of having no choice but to outright Game Over... but small enough that those bigger vaster riches out & about will look mighty juicy for the Ambitious, the Explorer, the Conquestor, etc.

Some are more the 'Commander/Business CEO/Civilian type. I see nothing wrong with that as long as they don't go acting like their way is the ONLY WAY & disrespect right to fun for those of us that play different... like me & my 'Warrior/Miner/Builder that doesn't like to rush' ways.

michaelhartman89 likes this.
  3. michaelhartman89

I agree with everything you said. We are building a diverse server filled with content, so we are really trying to get the players to step out of their comfort zone and explore and find all the cool instances and event centera we created.

We linked all the Teleporters to a galctic city and put markets there to create a place for playera to run into each other and trade with each other

Tyrax Lightning likes this.
  4. Arrclyde

Arrclyde Rear Admiral

I am all for more economy. Maybe some kind trade window showing what each player is offering and an access window to their inventory (only visible to each player). Selling a ship would would open the window one places what they want to pay for the ship, both accept and the seller removes the core.

I also would like to see a "store block" for bases and maybe CVs, that you can list things you want to be sold locally and that is in the inventory of said ship/base. Possibly with an order tab for things you would like to buy from vistors with the price/exchange goods listed. I am all for a local market not a galaxy wide auction house that magically beams stuff to you when you buy. That would make travel meaningful and gives a little more depth to both travel and trade.

5. Arrclyde

Arrclyde Rear Admiral

I am not a fan of that system. Simply because it creates credits out of thin air for trigger happy people. Leading towards where people don't just unnecessarily shoot people for the sh!t and giggles like they do a lot already, with this system you get shot out of the skies for being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

I would prefer a bounty system. Something in the trade station like a tap that says "bounty" where players could place said bounty on other players. Or NPCs that offer missions to find a certain ship/base and shoot it down. On the other hand a bounty could be placed on certain people automatically if they just shoot down random players for no other reason than to shoot them down because they can. That would also cause to more patrol vessels appear near the person that has an automated bounty placed on them.

I am a huge fan of having consequences for the actions you take. Nothing wrong with shooting other players for the sh!t and giggles, as long as there are consequences coming with it.

6. Tyrax Lightning

I totally dig that idea. :) (Especially cause it'd give Mercs more to do.)

7. michaelhartman89

Finally got some in-game time as a regular joe away from my admin duties and I have to say I had a blast! This game is revolutionary when you are deep in the action with a friend racing back with your last t1 assault rifle with no food or health packs trying to rescue your gear before it despawns.

I absolutely love the rush I get playing. It reminds so much of the old days playing Goldeneye split screen or Halo 1 on legendary co-op.

The one thing the was a downer was the fact that prices at traders aren't balanced across the board. There is still no incentive to buy from them. Common practice is to go to poi's or craft items.

I would love to see the buy/sell market grow in 7.0. If not the full fledged economy, please reset prices to lower ammounts and make it the default across the board. Also please let more enemies drop loot or leave more credits in POI's to give us some reason to use the game currency.

Overall, great job Eleon. I love what you are doing with the game.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2017
  8. Tyrax Lightning

Wow... Congrats on this Thread getting Stickied! :D

michaelhartman89 likes this.
  9. michaelhartman89

Thanks man!

I see it as a must have feature for successful game design and a HUGE part of Empyrion's ability to stand out among a growing market for Space Survival/RPG/FPS/Crafting games.

It is a dream come true that this is now a new hybrid genre for us Sci Fi guys to play!

It'll really open up the possibilities for missions, player cooperation and employment.

I hope others agree and like the suggestions.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2017
    Tyrax Lightning and Space Beagle like this.
  10. michaelhartman89

Got another thread pinned over here for Building City Structures. I have been pouring hours into some skyscrapers as well as writing a backstory for my faction.

Plan to release it later on the forums and hopefully put it into a scenario in a future update once we can work for or hire npc's and give them orders.

Anyways here's the link:

http://empyriononline.com/threads/builders-needed-city-building.11974/

Swing by and check it out, and if you have any cool builds that meet the requirements go ahead and share them with the community. I will be working on a few more buildings once the 7.0 update is out.

I have a lot of Army stuff going on right now, just started my NCO Academy today.

11. SilvRav

SilvRav Moderator

Love it!

12. Malekh

Malekh Captain

I voted yes for the improved economic system, but no for the blueprint charge. Improved economics is always good, but the blueprint system (while in need of work) simply wouldn't work otherwise. Yes, people use it to spawn all manner of stuff instantly when they shouldn't be able to, but the idea behind it is simply to design something and recreate it autonomously. Lets say i have a basic base blueprint (which i do) to use when i start on a new server - where am i going to get the money to spawn it? Its not designed to exploit the game, its designed to save me time placing blocks when i start a new game. The idea that it should be penalized simply because it was designed in creative mode doesn't sit right with me. Yes, there are problems with the blueprint system, no this isn't how i would go about fixing it.

Mortlath and Tyrax Lightning like this.
  13. michaelhartman89

The way we do it on our server is for class 3 vessels or larger. You just pay the admin to purchase your cv or bp

14. Malekh

Malekh Captain

Well if it were based on class size like that, with say class 1 (or 2, or whatever the magic number is) getting a free pass then i could probably get behind it. My impression is though that it's more treating the symptom (how blueprints function right now) vs treating the disease (the blueprint system needs more work).

15. michaelhartman89

Already answered it on page 1 and 2,

"Well you also figure in the fact that now that you would be able to sell your ore in a working economy and making money buying stocks and other things, you will have a TON of credits to spend, so the cost for building your ship is expected.

You dont hire a contractor in real life and expect them to work for free since you paid for all the materials out of pocket. So why would it be any different for buying a ship or base in a game.

If i want something for free , I have to build it myself."

"It was just a way of trying to solve the infinite ship problem in player's factories.

Also a way to promote creativity in the community encouraging players to sell their designs in-game and encouraging others to design their own vessel or base."

"Exactly what I mean, it's not vanilla then. I'm talking about an Economy that has a "kelly bluebook" value for every vessel based on components, block size and devices.

This gives an automatic value to everything in the game which opens up the possibility of starting a black market to smuggle items and steal"

"This would mean that you can sell to other players or sell it back to the bank, trader or dealership."

Thats pretty much all I had on the subject, so far.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2017
  16. Tyrax Lightning

The sad thing is, is that I prefer to build & use my own stuff, so i'd be of no use to other Ship Sellers... & no one ever wants to use my stuff except me cause my way of building is too weird, screwball, & "WTF!!?", for everyone else so it'd be useless for me to try to sell my stuff to others. :p

The last time I know of that anyone used something of my making & liked it was LONG ago in the Pre-Hover Mechanics Implementation Era when I was pleased with a couple Comments I got before about them liking & using my minimalist barebones starter HV build... hard to remember, but mighta named something like "Tyrax Starter HV"... & is long gone from my Workshop cause it's long obsolete.

17. Gawain

Gawain Commander

This game is young and it will be fleshed out in time. I am happy to see they have an NPC currency feature in the game, and as there are many different ways that currency can be manipulated the most important factor is establishing a supply and demand structure to establish free trade while combating inflation.

The first part is easy the second not so much. If an equivalent amount of currency is not leaving the game than you are guaranteed to break any in game economy.

Intelligence step to prevent this.
    1) Track Gross Population Wealth. It is not that hard to data base the over all wealth of the population. Knowing what is out there allows you to auto adjust what is exiting the game.

2) No set prices. Base the cost of NPC supplies and services on the gross population wealth. If the Economy is high so should the prices be.

3) Existence & Capital Generator Control. Do not offer players cash at the start as they will just kill characters to accumulate wealth, and Regulate wealth generating items such as Auto Miners. Create an annual (daily) licensing fee on the number of items owned by a Player / Faction. * Self Regulating game system there.

4) Real Estate Taxes (player hated & Economy sustaining approved) Games that utilize a daily real estate tax have the best control over in-game economy. This tax is based off accumulated wealth and assets. You will no longer need a despawn period as players who are absent for prolong periods will run out of money and forfeit their creations no different than if they logged off for the give period of time to despawn. The most important factor in this method is to ensure that players can generated enough currency to maintain what they have with a few hours of game play a week.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2017
  18. KnowItAllDM

KnowItAllDM Commander

I think the currency should only really affect a player (in the default scenario) once they have the ability to travel from planet to planet, ie, once they leave the starter planets.

19. michaelhartman89

Not a fan of scalar games. I believe it should have different difficulties from the beginning. At the end of the game or late game our character should feel comfortable in his position with the funding to hire and employ npc's and other players as well as fund adventures, explorations and new settlements

This is all dependant on the way the devs balance the game. There should be a diverse range of npc factions: farmers, pirates, zirax military, counter insurgencies, terrorists, militias, gangs, civilians, miners, law enforcement etc.

Each system should be balanced differently to force the player to find ways to trade their materials to become successful.

Licensing, Hell no! What kind of bureaucracy is this? Who is taxing me and has the nerve to try to? I agree with gangs or govts forcing players to pay protection fees, taxes, and tolls in some locations they occupy. This does not extend to unsettled frontiers where the player is free from corruption.

I would also like to see jump gates that pop up in new sectors as we progress, with travel/use fees.

Again this is an unfair way to attempt to balance the game. It is fine for some sectors, but not necessarily for the entire game. I feel it cheapens the experience.

Use the fluctuating prices in an ever changing market to push the player to find ways to trade, to succeed in-game.

Maybe in Totalitarian regimes, or planets where state run communist govts reside, this would work. What company has the sense to tax me if I'm settling a primitive world?

I would however like to see agressive corporations that monopolize trade, to force other people out of the market and take areas. It would be nice to have some parasitic companies and govts that infringe on your sector and try to push the player around or try to initiate conflicts.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2017
  20. michaelhartman89

I wasn't trying to be confrontational, I just had some different views on the way it would work. Thanks for the input, I do agree with portions of your post, but feel it could be implemented differently to have the same effect, lengthening the game

Tyrax Lightning and Mortlath like this.