Fixed Terrain does not restore propertly after saving and resuming [00267]

Discussion in 'Fixed (Read Only)' started by dekdes, May 24, 2022.

1. dekdes

dekdes Ensign

Build:V1.8 3823 24 - 17;36
    Mode:Survival
    Mode:Single player

SERVER NAME: NA
    SEED-ID: NA

If applicable:
    MODIFIED PLAYFIELDS: None

Reproducibility: Unknown
    Severity:Heavy

Type: Resources

Summary: Cant pick up / mine resources on hills

Description: Problem with (SOME! ) resource placements

Steps to Reproduce: NA

Observation:

This is my first ever bug report so forgive me if its unclear.

I noticed that some resources like ore rocks are not mine able on hill sides, you simple mine the ground underneath them (using survival tool in resource mode)

Also some plant proteine is either floating above or embedded in the ground and thus F to pick up does not show up.

Screenshots:

Attached Files:

Germanicus likes this.
  2. MoonshineBandit

MoonshineBandit Ensign

I love this bug lol I tried single player 1.8 last night and there were a lot of rocks you could not target to mine, at the escape pod crash site however is where I had this issue.

3. GE-old-Man

GE-old-Man Ensign

same to me, with new game start, also resources hanging slightly in the air, small gap between surface and the iron, carbon etc. rock

4. dli

dli Ensign

Build: v1.8 3842
    Mode: Survival
    Mode: Singleplayer

SERVER NAME:
    SEED-ID: 1

If applicable:
    MODIFIED PLAYFIELDS: No

Reproducibility: Always so far
    Severity: In my opinion, Major as it calls into question the integrity of game saves.

Type: Terrain restoration

Summary: Terrain does not restore properly after saving and resuming

Description:
    I will typically start a new survival play-through by starting the game and quitting as soon as the capsule crashes and I decline the Robinson Protocol. I then make a copy of that save and rename it to add a label of "Begin" (In case I decide to start the game over using a different strategy). I then resume the save where I have done essentially zero exploring and haven't even picked up the starting items. With the new 1.8, when I explore the nearby vicinity, I now typically encounter terrain that does not "work" correctly. Visible rocks fail to register on the Survival Tool and can't be harvested though the Survival Tool is set on Resource Mode (see first screen capture). Plants in the area appear to have no hit box. The terrain starts free of grass, but dropping a tent on this terrain makes grass magically appear (see the second and third screen captures). If I quit and resume, the grass around the tent is gone again (see fourth screen capture). When checking if this issue repeats, on a different save I found a copper rock in the problem area that did register with the Survival Tool. Harvesting that rock also caused the grass to magically appears (see fifth and sixth screen captures). Like with the tent, quitting and resuming causes the grass to disappear.

So far this issue has been consistent for me. I start a new solo survival game, set the name to something like "V18Test" and a seed of just 1, I will find a problem area like this northeast of the crashed capsule provided I have saved and resumed. If I explore the area prior to saving or quitting, the terrain appears to work as expected.

It seems that something is lost during the save and this area isn't able to restore properly. I have seen this same problem in the several new 1.8 games I started with random seeds prior to switching to using a seed of "1". My approach of creating a "beginning" save has made it easy to notice. It is not something I have noticed prior to 1.8. At this point I haven't done enough exploring in 1.8 to tell if this issue is localized to the starting area, or can occur in other locations. I'll try saving after I've harvested everything in the problem area and then I'll keep an eye out if I see this elsewhere.

I've included a zip of a "begin" save in case that would help should you not see the same issue I'm seeing. Game files verified and cache cleared. Let me know if there is something you would like me to try.

Steps to Reproduce:
    1) Begin new singleplayer survival game
    2) Set seed to 1 and start.
    3) After capsule craches, exit the game.
    4) Resume the game and head northeast.

If problem manifests, at the top of the incline and a little beyond there should be and area with no grass that behaves as described above.

Screenshots, Crash Logs, any other Relevant Information or Download links:

Germanicus likes this.
  5. dli

dli Ensign

Also added the game log that is associated with the V18Test Begin.zip.

Hopefully you will be able to reproduce the issue and it isn't something unique to my system.

Attached Files:

Germanicus likes this.
  6. Murkalael

Murkalael Lieutenant

I also have this, but this seems to be an inherited glitch from 1.7
    Inside your save folder, there will be a folder called Areas, usually when this type of glitch happens I just delete everything inside that folder and it fixes, but if you have dig anything will be restored as it's original state.

7. dli

dli Ensign

Thanks, I gave this a try. Deleted the contents of the Playfields\Akua\Areas folder. Unfortunately it had no effect on the problem terrain area, but it did cause the startup items that I had not yet picked up to disappear.

I confirmed this problem happens with Masperon in addition to Akua, and I assume the other starter moons. I also confirmed that harvesting all the resources in the area doesn't prevent the grass from going missing or being unable to harvest the plants after a quit and resume. I'll experiment some with digging to see what impact that may have.

Germanicus likes this.
  8. dli

dli Ensign

Confirmed this still happens with v1.8.1 3843. Also, digging a hole with the Survival Tool next to the copper rock in what was in the first screen capture prior to quitting does not prevent the rock from failing to register on the Survival Tool after resuming.

9. Pantera

Pantera Administrator Staff Member

• Developer
    Thanks for making your report this has been reproduced, logged & will be looked in to asap.

Germanicus and Pach like this.
  10. Pantera

Pantera Administrator Staff Member

• Developer
    A fix for this will be available in tomorrows planned update.

Germanicus likes this.