v1.10.5 Experimental II

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Pantera, Nov 29, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pantera

Pantera Administrator Staff Member

• Developer
    Hello Galactic Survivalists!

Welcome to the second release of Empyrion Galactic Survival v1.10.5 Experimental branch.
    Please see the changelog for new additions to this release. We have also made the dedicated server files available for MP on the Experimental branch as of this release.
    As always, we extend our gratitude for your unwavering support and valuable feedback throughout this experimental phase.

As always - please report each bug over here for this experimental release phase:
    https://empyriononline.com/forums/bugs.34/

Changelog v1.10.5 B4251 2023-11-29

Changes:
    - Added a video option for AMD FSR2 + implementation & default settings:
    We have added support for AMD’s FSR2 to our game which can be found at the bottom of the video options in the options menu.
    FSR2 works by intelligently upscaling lower resolution frames to higher resolution ones, while preserving and enhancing the details and sharpness of the original image.

We recommend using FSR2 only with 4K and 2K resolutions, as these are the optimal settings for this technology. Using FSR2 with lower resolutions may result in blurry or pixelated images, as the upscaling process may not have enough information to work with. If you are using a lower resolution monitor or device, you may want to keep FSR2 disabled & use the native resolution of your screen.
    Each mode has a different performance boost and a different image quality. FSR2 can help you increase your FPS and reduce your GPU usage, depending on your hardware, resolution, and scene complexity. However, FSR2 only works on GPU-bound scenarios, and it has some limitations and trade-offs.

- Added/updated POI (Kriel, RAV, Colonists, Talon'Ar; Thx to Don2k7, Stellar_Titan, Escarli, Matcz)
    - Added new 'City Ruins' POI (by sulusdacor)

Playfield changes:
    - Ground texture and deco tweaks for the following playfield types:
    (Desert, MoonIce2, MoonNascent, Scorched, Snow, Arid, Barren, BarrenMetal, Lava, LavaNascent, Moon, MoonDesert, MoonIce, MoonLava, MoonLava2, Temperate, TemperatePlateau, TemperateSwamp, DesertBurn)
    - Removed some texture artifacts
    - Added all basic RockResources to each world.
    - Scorched: Adjusted daylight intensity
    DesertBurnt:
    - Changed some biomes in spawn order
    - Fixes for some creatures not appearing
    - Removed Plantation biome, renamed Sand biome into LavaPlains, SandDrift biome into LavaField, added LavaFolds biome
    - Made playfield day darker again
    - Tweaked ground fog strength and height variances
    - Reduced atmosphere O2 percentage
    - Changed music & description text

Fixes:
    - Fixed O2 issue on Far Point Outpost (thx to AkevaBanshee)
    - PDA *Signals are not working if player fly with vessel in area
    - MP issue with constructors not showing animations
    - Fixed Farr did not attack hostile players (please retest)

Known:
    - Deconstructor animations are not triggering

2. Myrmidon

Myrmidon Rear Admiral

This update is once again amazing. I hope many players will be happy with the FSR2 addition. Good work again guys. :NewThumbsUp:

Upd : I played a little between the time I wrote this post and I updated it. After I started the game and checked the FSR settings, realizing my monitoring software was showing maximum FPS generated by my good old GTX1070 on 1080p, I had the nerve to crank ALL the settings to maximum. And I mean ALL of them, even those turned off by default on Best settings video profile.

And man.....

[​IMG]

Indeed there is a blurry image on 1080p and also there are noticeable artifacts with FSR2 set on "Performance" and "Balance". Setting it on "Quality" there is a noticeable image improvement. There is still some blurriness, but some might get accustomed to it in favor of performance.

With FSR2 disabled I was able to play the game setting many video settings to medium and/or low (specially shadows and tree quality) getting 80-100 FPS on space, 40-70 FPS on planets and inside big CVs, depending on the situation.

Guys you resurrected my 1070 :p Thank you.

PS : Is it me or VRAM is almost maxing with FSR2? It is the first time I use it, since until now I have tested FSR1 via tricks on Linux.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2023
    A Mueller, Monroe and Don2k7 like this.
  3. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

Any chance the new models for terrain objects like portable constructor could be colorable? Would be nifty for early game.

4. Pantera

• Developer
    Have you thought to try experimenting with your gtx1070 at 1440p with Nvidia DSR in the nvidia control panel ? (or dldsr if that option is visible for you in the nvidia control panel which should be at the top of the list above DSR when the DSR selection GUI is open)
    Manage 3d settings > Global settings > DSR - Factors

I don't mean to put the desktop resolution up to a higher resolution with this just when in game with "Exclusive Fullscreen" enabled you can try out some higher resolutions with FSR2 Quality or Balanced mode on & see how your machine performs overall with this & what is acceptable for you & your hardware etc.

5. Myrmidon

Myrmidon Rear Admiral

GTX-1070 does not support DLDSR (Deep Learning DSR), a feature that needs tensor cores present on nvidia GPUs of 20, 30 and 40 series! Only DSR. The setting takes advantage of any available GPU headroom, allowing frames to be rendered at a higher resolution. These higher resolution images are then made smaller to fit the screen. The driver setting is shown bellow :

[​IMG]

I suppose, what you are proposing is, to enable "DSR Factors" (1,78 for 1440p) along with "DSR Smoothness" (left on default), in order to adjust aliasing and sharpening/blurring levels of in-game video. This Global feature unlocks in-game higher resolution presets, even if the monitor maximum is lower, giving the ability to achieve rendering in said higher than default monitor resolution and display the result in monitor's default. In theory this counters blurriness but what I have noticed by doing some testing on Empyrion is that FPS suffers and it feel heavy on the user. Even if DSR- smoothness might further improve sharpening.

[​IMG]

What I have noticed, while testing, is that, by only using "Image scaling", without "DSR Factor", and setting its smoothness above 70%, it does improve final image sharpness.

The thing is :

NVIDIA Image Scaling is quite similar to AMD's FSR in that both use a simple spatial upscaling algorithm and a sharpening filter. Being driver-based means that NVIDIA Image Scaling upscales the entire image. In contrast, AMD FSR only upscales the rendered image of the actual game while the HUD and other UI elements, such as menus, are displayed at native resolution. This makes FSR better regarding overall image quality because the HUD and other UI elements look sharper.

But "Image scaling" does nothing in terms of FPS on my system. By activating FSR2 I do get more FPS as expected and also blurriness. Setting "Image scaling" with smoothness does improve image sharpening to satisfying levels.

Finally, further introduced aliasing can be mitigated by activating "Antialiasing Mode" set on "Enhance application settings" and "Multi-Frame Sampled AA (MFAA) on driver level and leaving in-game settings active.

So yes there are tools available for improving the final visual experience, but things can get complicated, demanding users to do their homework.

Here are two videos

I have ordered a 4060 which I expect before the end of Experimental period. So expect further tests with this one too. :NewSunglasses:

Last edited: Nov 30, 2023
    A Mueller and Pantera like this.
  6. Pantera

• Developer
    Just a note about using godmode in case you are not aware it disables the culling system when enabled so when you are in a scene with a lot of structures the FPS might be lower than it will be without godmode enabled (depending on the scene of course).

Well you should see much better performance overall going from a gtx1070 to an rtx4060 :D
    (I presume you have upgraded the MOBO, CPU & RAM in recent years so it doesn't become a bottleneck)

7. Myrmidon

Myrmidon Rear Admiral

I remember reading this somewhere but I forgot about it. Doe this restriction apply even when the player is sitting in a cockpit? I did, though, made sure to disable god mode in some parts of the video in order to measure both situations
    Well that is what I am expecting, plus much lower power consumption Currently 1070 needs 150W - 180W as I monitor it while playing. The 4060 is maxed at 115W but I am expecting spikes of 130W. More performance for less power consumption is a win win.:p

I have not upgraded anything yet. If MSI Afterburner and/or mangoHUD show me I have, to I will. My R7 3700X at 4,3 approx does amazing job resting around 30ish% load with 1070. I expect if it needs to feed 4060 might do some more work but I do not think anything extreme. Even in that case, my X570 mobo supports Ryzen 5 5600X3D and Ryzen 7 7800X3D. Even those two either wont be enough or be expensive, there are rumors AMD is planning on launching their new Ryzen 7 5700X3D in January for AM4 mobos. AM4 is not dead yet.:cool:

Last edited: Dec 1, 2023
  8. CaptRiker

CaptRiker Commander

don't want to seem ungrateful with the fsr2 implementation but could we PLZ PLZ get dlss w/frame gen? :) my 4080 luv u long time!

I'd just really like to hit 75 fps w/o my 4080 drawing 300 watts on 90% util @ 3440x1440 lol.

----------------------------------------------------
    AMD 7950x3d CPU (pbo)
    64 gb ddr5-6000 Corsair Vengeance (expo)
    4 tb crucial T700 gen 5 ssd (win 11)
    4 tb samsung 990 pro gen 4 ssd (data)
    Gigabyte oc 4080 Graphics Card
    Corsair hx1000i - 1000watt ps
    Corsair H150 360mm rgb aio water cooler
    ---------------------------------------------------

Last edited: Dec 1, 2023
  9. Myrmidon

Myrmidon Rear Admiral

You can restrict power consumption of the GPU by using utilities like MSI Afterburner. There are many tutorial videos on how to do so. For the FPS achievement you should reduce some of the video settings to acceptable levels to get those 75 FPS. DLSS added to a game means the developers have ot pay royalties to nVidia. FSR is open source and free.

A Mueller likes this.
  10. Guuh Olive

Guuh Olive Ensign

gotaria de saber se a tradução para portugues esta certa, pois para mim so algumas coisas estão traduzidas (PDA) (Algumas falas) e (alguns nomes de objetos).

11. Pantera

• Developer
    We are looking in to adding DLSS2 at some point once it is running with EGS & to also mention we cannot use DLSS3 due to the unity version we are currently on.
    Just to note here for those that don't know DLSS2 will only work with nvidia RTX GPU's.

It's free to use for some time afaik probably due to FSR being free.

Myrmidon likes this.
  12. Myrmidon

Myrmidon Rear Admiral

Those are great news!. Many players will be happy. Not to mention it would be a good thing to see EGS in the list of games that support DLSS. A rough search on Unity's forums reveals that they are currently working on adding DLSS3 as well. Anyway version 3 relies on RTX40xx series so yes, players need to remember that too. FSR is for everyone and I do not think it is much of a difference in terms of performance and quality.

We should not forget that, while you play a game you do not just sit still and admire the scenery much. You act and that involves much of movement!

Well I am not aware of this. Of course since you are a developer you know better. Let's hope it will go fully free for developers' players' benefit!

I think it is wonderful that EGS will support both up-scaling technologies. I believe the majority of the player base will appreciate this :thumpUp:

13. AlterDraconis

AlterDraconis Lieutenant

I tried to turn on the AMD FSR (quality), FPS is increased, but the picture turned into soap. I have 4060 Ti.

14. Myrmidon

Myrmidon Rear Admiral

Define "picture turned into soap". Also have you tried to adjust the video settings and/or nVidia's settings specifically for Empyrion.exe in the nvidia control panel settings?

15. AlterDraconis

AlterDraconis Lieutenant

Sorry. I changed the settings and the quality improved.

Myrmidon likes this.
  16. Kumari

Kumari Ensign

I'll be honest, I'm a bit excited and really looking forward to the new features around FSR and graphics settings.
    If the performance is right, it can't be bad for immersion.

17. Kumari

Kumari Ensign

FSR can be used by users with NVIDIA graphics cards as well as by users with AMD graphics cards.
    DLSS can only be used by users with NVIDIA graphics cards, as you yourself have already written.

I don't understand the whining after DLSS.

18. Myrmidon

Myrmidon Rear Admiral

Wonderful. I am expecting a 4060 to test this myself too. I hope to be able to post a couple of videos with the new GPU too.

19. AlterDraconis

AlterDraconis Lieutenant

The new ornamental plants look amazing.

20. Pantera

• Developer
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.