v1.8 Experimental II

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Pantera, May 24, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pantera

Pantera Administrator Staff Member

• Developer
    Hello Galactic Survivalists!

Welcome to Experimental phase 2!

If you have already participated in the test version, you will see a lot of changes in the list below, which we were able to implement thanks to your feedback.

New additions are the first four NPCs and creatures that populate two entirely new game spaces for the first time: air and water! We are excited to see how you like them!

The new game start including the tutorial has also made great progress! For example, the tutorial-related info messages are now only displayed if you actually choose to play the tutorial at the beginning of the game. Messages about story and quests are of course not affected by this. Also, there is now an archive or log in the PDA for both tutorial and quests, where you can look up your progress, todos and next steps, or read past messages!

Our work on the other planets is also progressing steadily. In the current update are more revised versions included!

Due to the numerous changes to the starting planets and the mission structure, you should definitely start a new savegame, so that you can test all the changes, from tutorial to NPC to the quests!

We hope for numerous feedback on how you like the changes!

As always please note:
    Experimental feedback threads can be found here https://empyriononline.com/forums/experimental-features-discussion.35/
    Report bugs and issues right over here: https://empyriononline.com/forums/bugs.34/
    Fixed Experimental version bugs can be found there: https://empyriononline.com/forums/fixed.90/

Have fun playing!
    Empyrion Dev Team

PS: Please note that for the duration of the EXP no localization languages other than English are available. Will be changed for the public release!

Changes:

[​IMG]

New NPC’s added:

- “Annoying Mosquito” which currently “Stuns” the player (Masperon > Swamp)
    [​IMG]

- Butterflies that give "Bandage" heal to the player ( Akua > Forests )
    [​IMG]

- "Scrapper Drones" (Skillon)
    [​IMG]

- “Fish” (Akua > Water/Deep Water)
    [​IMG]

New Default Start Changes:
    Major updates/changes:
    • Tutorial: All tutorial related messages are now hidden except the player decides to play with tutorial assistance activated
    • Tutorial: Updated wording and setup of all relevant tutorial messages and organized them into archives so the player that has chosen to play with tutorial assistance can re-read them at any time!
    • Game Start: Adjusted barren and alien starter moons in terms of survivability and challenge. Please retest in a new savegame. Note that SNOW starter is not fully ready for game start (> EXP3).
    • Quests: Changed quest structure and setup (Note: might require a new savegame to be started in EXP2 for testing; Quests are still work in progress!)
    • Quests: For the talon quest on the temperate starter moon, players can now check and manage active quests from remote (without approaching the quest giver) via the PDA quest log. (WiP)
    Other updates/changes:
    - Added: The first time a player accepts a quest in 1.8 he will get an info where and how to manage these. (this is general info for all players, with or without tutorial activated!)
    - Added (more) Carbon Rock Resource to barren and alien starter moon crashsite area
    - Added plant for anti radiation ointment to barren starter moon crashsite area
    - Added: Scrapper Drones around wreckage type POIs and on Crashsite on Barren starter moon
    - Added: Annoying Mosquitos to swamp areas on Alien Swamp starter moon
    - Added: Butterflies added to temperate starter moon (forests)
    - Added: Shoal of Fish added to shallow water, water and deep water biomes on temperate starter
    - Added battered drones in space asteroid field (alien faction)
    - Added: message when first entering an obelisk (about portal/teleporters)
    - Added: Carbon resource entry added to Empyriopedia
    - Added new loot groups to Scrapper Drone (Spare Parts, Coolant, Optronics) and Mosquito (Toxic Liquid, Narcotics)
    - Added: Anti Radiation Ointment to Large Wreckages personal locker on barren starter moon
    - Added: Some anti-radiation helper now available in Opportunity base on barren starter
    - Added takeover guide for taking over the Opportunity base (focus on un-claimed POIs)
    - Added: Tutorial info popup when gold is found (EVA Boost) and when a growing plot is picked up
    - Changed: Disabled test-Asteroids in starter moon space (swapped with Ice Asteroids)
    - Changed: Added small Promethium and Neodymium voxel deposits to Barren Starter
    - Changed: Added small Titanium and Pentaxid voxel deposits to Alien Starter
    - Changed: Added Cobalt voxel deposits to Snow Starter
    - Changed: Added additional rewards to the temperate farm and plantation quests (WiP)
    - Changed: Tribal Barrel, Sacks and Buckets now have more appropriate loot
    - Changed: Tales of Tash Story now also uses the organized message archives to tell the player what he should do next.
    - Changed some texts (maintenance, grammar, typos, wording)
    - Changed: Increased wreckage count on Barren starter (Please check!)
    - Changed: Increased amount on damaged cyborgs around POI on temperate starter
    - Changed: Added note/help on Digsite Terminus for opening the underground cover
    - Changed: Furnishing deco is now available in the Portable Constructor and Small Constructor

Optimisations:
    - We have worked on some optimisations for the game which should result in your FPS increasing by at least 10 or more when inside or outside a structure (player made bases & vessels, POI's etc) depending on your hardware!
    - LOD Quality (Low, Medium & High) now sets the distance for render range of objects

Updated playfields:
    Alien, Arid, BarrenMetal, Desert, Lava, LavaNascent, MoonNascent, MoonForest, MoonIce, MoonIce2, MoonLava, MoonLava2, Prairie, Temperate, TemperatePlateau, TemperateSwamp.
    [​IMG]
    “TemperatePlateau”

Fixes:
    - Fixed: Abandoned Dronebase did not spawn NPC/did not work (Faction changed to Alien)
    - Fixed: Blast doors in Supply Bunker trying to kill the player
    - Fixed: covered other hidden leakages in Opportunity base on Barren starter moon
    - Fixed: Set carbon voxel deposits to correct texture
    - CoQ when teleporting to Omicron
    - Ramps can retract when a vessel touches them.
    - Fixed CoQ at the Main Menu from the steam workshop.

Updated Default Multiplayer scenario:
    Changes:
    - Removed old starter planets
    - Added new starter moons with minor changes to EscapePod to support Multiplayer
    - Added Carbon Deposits
    - Update PreviewPictures
    - Reworked Ellyon System from random generation to a fixed Sectors.yaml
    - Update LoadingScreenConfig

Updated IvD scenario:
    Changes:
    - Player Request: Lowered mountain height and gravity + add Carbon Rocks to Merdar
    - Update LoadingScreenConfig

Fixes:
    - Fixed: Pulse Laser Turret missing (retractable) from localization

Sofianinho, jmcburn, Pach and 8 others like this.
  2. Scoob

Scoob Rear Admiral

Thanks for the update.

I can't see it mentioned, but did the issue with HV Docking pads not allowing vessels to dock get sorted? I couldn't carry an HV around with me on a CV in Exp I. I'll just directly to an SV in Exp II if it's still a problem.

Pach likes this.
  3. Pantera

Pantera Administrator Staff Member

• Developer
    If it's not in the list & the thread prefix isn't updated that's a no ;)
    https://empyriononline.com/threads/docking-pad-variant-of-landing-gear-does-not-dock-00072.99860/

This is something that will be looked at asap.

Pach likes this.
  4. TwitchyJ

TwitchyJ Commander

It would be nice if these were 2 different settings.
    In fact, it is never a good idea to combine settings together. It leads to not knowing what the settings actually do....
    I can see plenty of cases where people still want high detail LOD quality but just don't want it at super far ranges.
    Should be 2 different settings.

Kind of like the water quality setting where "low" is actually off for waves as well as affecting the water quality itself. People sometimes want higher water quality without the waves. Settings should be split wherever possible.

My 2 cents.
    It's a minor thing, yes, but it's been happening for a while.
    Individual settings is always a good thing as it allows individual hardware setups to tailor things better to suit their hardware.

Landru, krosbonez, Germanicus and 3 others like this.
  5. Scoob

Scoob Rear Admiral

Thanks @Pantera.

I agree with @TwitchyJ regarding those two options (ideally) being separate. I'd personally be happier with a lower-detail distant object (Low lod, high draw distance) than said distant object not rendering at all. The game already has various items (windows, doors) that don't render at all at fairly moderate distances which can be quite jarring as they pop in.

Pach, TwitchyJ, akimzav and 1 other person like this.
  6. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

Yes I've had to use shutter doors at times because the render distance of standard doors is so short they can disappear while flying in third person.

Pach and TwitchyJ like this.
  7. Myrmidon

Myrmidon Rear Admiral

I know that Linux is not in your plans but :

For us who play the game in Linux with Proton compatibility layer there is an issue now more often occurring when the new mission information is accessed enriched with the ingame browser implementation. The result is that there is no relevant access to whatever the browser needs and a non ending message is cast in terminal, with whatever issues this results in terminal messages and the log files. The only way to stop it is to exit the current save game and reload it.

Is it possible to somehow disable this feature temporarily for single player games?

Screenshot from 2022-05-24 17-16-17.png Screenshot from 2022-05-24 17-16-28.png

byo13 likes this.
  8. byo13

byo13 Captain

You guys are on fire. Very cool.

Does this mean that other planets than the four initial ones will not have the new assets or just the new NPCs?
    All of this is so exciting.

9. StyxAnnihilator

StyxAnnihilator Captain

Just a small fun thing on Steam:
    EGS_e18II_steam.jpg
    Is "chang" a new EGS term, to compete with Space Engineers "clang"?

Germanicus likes this.
  10. Taelyn

Taelyn Administrator Staff Member Community Manager

• Developer
    • Administrator
    Possible yes. But a simple on off switch no. You have to modify all dialogues. What also breaks all missions if you dont do it right

Germanicus and Pach like this.
  11. Taelyn

• Developer
    • Administrator
    Currently all other planets are still wip but some can have the deco already or the npcs

Germanicus, Pach and byo13 like this.
  12. Scoob

Scoob Rear Admiral

Quick query: Since restarting in Exp II, whenever I use the Multi-tool on unarmoured BA/CV-class glass I get weirdness. Often the first hit with the MT will cause ALL other glass in the area to go invisible, it's still there, just not rendered. If I continue using the MT, I will eventually salvage the glass, but the model of broken glass will be stuck there - often without the frame. It's weird. Will try to get a recreation Save and submit a proper report. Just wanted to check first though.

krosbonez, Germanicus and Pach like this.
  13. Myrmidon

Myrmidon Rear Admiral

:( Snif. Thank you for the reply....

Germanicus and Pach like this.
  14. [BB]Drifter

[BB]Drifter Commander

God I hate this game.... No, not really but how am I supposed to get things done on my next 2 days off hmm? :rolleyes: Welp, off we go to start again and see whats what. Really, thanks for the update. Looking forward to many more hours ahead. :NewThumbsUp:

Sofianinho, Pach and ravien_ff like this.
  15. Jawatraders

Jawatraders Lieutenant

This might be slightly off topic, but goes along with the new LOD graphics setting. I was messing with the graphics settings and noticed that quite a few categories only have Off, Low, and High options. Is there a reason there isn't a Medium option?

16. Taelyn

• Developer
    • Administrator
    Known issue

Pach and Germanicus like this.
  17. Scoob

Scoob Rear Admiral

Ok, cool. Sorta thought it might have been noticed lol.

18. byo13

byo13 Captain

Just jumped into space for the first time and I found two asteroids so far, copper and silicon, but they're only giving me ice on both of them.
    This didn't happen in Exp I. Is this a known issue?

krosbonez likes this.
  19. Myrmidon

Myrmidon Rear Admiral

I did asteroid mining on Exp and had no issue. Promethium gives promethium and ice gives ice....

Screenshot from 2022-05-26 10-14-46.png

Last edited: May 26, 2022
    byo13 likes this.
  20. Myrmidon

Myrmidon Rear Admiral

ROLF guess what guys. I 've found a hole too.

Bug report

byo13 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.