What did you do in Empyrion today?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Slam Jones, Oct 17, 2015.

1. dpburke2

dpburke2 Captain

This I will agree with about large SVs. A large SV really could use turrets.

Brimstone and Tyrax Lightning like this.
  2. Tyrax Lightning

Tyrax Lightning Rear Admiral

Sorry. I can be kinda easy to distract... :oops:

Funny ya mention this... was cruising around in my 'failed SV Build' & I swear it used to be completely inadequate in maneuverability before... only getting a measly 23 RCS... but now it seems to be maneuvering around decently... at least "Violent Support" quality, which for this dude would be good enough. I have no clue why this is happening or what mighta changed since the last time I drove the dude around & was having it spinning & rotating too weakly to ever be able to fight... I even went so far as to look at one of the RCSs & it's not looking like the Torque Stat on it got any Buff... I think 150 was what it read before... I don't get it. :confused:

With that said I disagree with ya & say that SVs SHOULD be able to if desired be built to be "Super Spin Monsters"... if ya can't keep your SV Foe in your Crosshairs, how the hell are ya ever supposed to NOT lose the SV vs SV Dogfight? These are Spaceship Duels we're talking about, not F-15 Duels.

For the Topic: I think I have my Innards done! Barring some fixes I need to make with a few misplaced Blocks, & tweaking to find out if I can figure out how Motion Sensors work by messing with them for the first time ever & seeing if I can make Ramp Deployment with them give better HV Loading & Unloading, the Hull & Device Placement seems done!

Gave her a test spin & she's performing beautifully! Also performed a successful Test Warp to the Trading Sector, then Aestus, & back & tested her in Aestus Atmo & she's never Red Lining. :)

Warped her back to Akua & entered Akua Atmo... & immediately upon doin that my Empyrion froze... >_< Restared Computer to Flush RAM then got back into the game & the CV was completely gone... I now see what peeps are talking about with the "Missing CV Bug". Was nowhere to be seen in either Registry or ents Command in either Akua Orbit or Akua. Gone forever. :/ Fortunately I know full well to be cautious & I had BP Saved before beginning the 'Testing' so I was able to pop out a fresh copy of the CV Build and did NOT lose forever all the work I had done between continuing work & getting her done enough for Test Driving. (I SO recommend ALWAYS taking this Caution!)

Ok, Take 2... this time no problem flying into Akua & test drove landing it. Had embarrassing moment when I accidentally Face Planted the CV's Face into the Planet Ground misjudging the distance from the Ground to the CV's Face, but fortunately the Combat Steel didn't feel a thing. ^_^ After that tried a Test Landing & it went beautifully. :D Test drove a HV (Tyrax Asymm "Demolition" wasn't busy & volunteered.) & to my surprise noticing even at Max Hover Height it actually had to work a little to drive over the Hanger Frame to get in & out... (I'm using Hangar Double Doors in Build.) Test SV fly in & out went better, having even my big fat 'Failed SV that's now being confusing about if it's actually a Failed Build' fly in & out just fine. :)

The CV is idle power friendly as CVs go which will be quite desirable so I can leave the CV on for while Loading & Unloading Vehicles, lasts in Atmo Flight a usefully long time, & holds out in Power in Space great for being a big gal. This is due to me shoving a TON of Fuel Tanks into the Build & this is what was taking me these last few days on CV work on ALONE. Lookin like it was totally worth it. :cool:

Now it'll be a pain in the ass to hunt down Build Errors like dogs & fix them, dunno if the aforementioned Motion Sensor HV Ramps addition attempt will even succeed, then it'll probably take me days longer to Paint & Texture this puppy. :eek:

dpburke2 and Jᴧgᴧ like this.
  3. Razorwire

Razorwire Captain

Last night I gutted our small carrier, as we'd outgrown it and had already built a bigger replacement.
    Now we needed a smaller CAS CV, and I had this old heap gathering dust on the pad...

Needed to hover comfortably & relatively cheaply in 1.8G, fit 3 or 4 large strike SVs, and a couple of HV tanks or support vehicles, be hardened to damage from one side and kick out serious support fire from that side, and have drone/transport defence while we're in the depths of a POI. Did not need all the usual fluff I throw in, no ready rooms, no canteen, no bunks, no constructor hall, no huge storage bins. This thing is not intended to be out on it's own for extended periods, nor to be a library of loot and materials.

Opened up the roof, relocated about 40 thrusters, enlarged the hangar to cover the HV garages and the mess hall, filled in the hangar doors, moved the generators and warp equipment, sealed up the armoury & pilot's ready rooms and filled them with the fuel & o2 tanks I'd taken from the back end & broadside-side, HV garages consolidated and moved to the old fuel tank area, relocated most of atmo-capable turrets into one broadside battery, stripped redundant lighting and equipment, relocated some sensors, moved core and explode-y devices to the not-broadside side of the ship and padded them with combat steel, double-skinned the broadside. Mostly finished, though forgot to take screenies once done. Have a couple from mid-renovation.

Busy day.

gutted_kraken.jpg kraken_broadside.jpg

4. Theurgist

Theurgist Captain

5. Razorwire

Razorwire Captain

"Empyrion – Galactic Survival - Community Forums - Error
    The requested thread could not be found."

Tyrax Lightning likes this.
  6. Spirit_OK

Spirit_OK Captain

7. Razorwire

Razorwire Captain

8. dpburke2

dpburke2 Captain

I haven't always been so wise. Now I accidentally saved over one of my blueprints, cried about the loss, and then remembered I had a copy actually spawned elsewhere in my creative game. Sort of a reverse "loss and recovery" caused by personal error. Now I have a zipped backup of my blueprint folder on the PC.

9. Brimstone

Brimstone Rear Admiral

Could be a new one in moderation, dunno. Either way, perhaps a kind mod would relocate the relevant posts?

10. rucky

rucky Rear Admiral

Builders and Players,

I have a question for you,
    as we all know, there will be some time in the future where buried thrusters will either not work anymore or damage the vessel itself already as it will have heat damage infront (or similar).

Now still I see many many submissions (and successful too if you count workshop downloads for that, but that's biassed) which still have them in.
    Another problem is even the smallest wall ramp block counts as full airtight and would therefore hinder heat flow already.

Now, in 8.0 we seem to NOT get any changes in that regard.

So, how do YOU build? Strictly exposed/venting thrusters or do you for the sake of protection (and more so with the latest changes of 7.6 and the future weapon upgrades POIs will get) and performance make some or all thrusters burying?

For me, I always try to expose any thruster... somehow, but that's sometimes not even possible, as the outside/surface area is just not big enough to hold enough thrusters for my liking.
    Also I DO like some half protecting of my thrusters (ramps, walls, pipes), it's cool for the looks and at least a bit for the protection. Still, under the actual AIR flow (assuming it will be the same for Heat) this would still count as "buried"...

Example:
    [​IMG]

Pipes over Thrusters, small ramp blocks near the front and back thrusters on the side...

[​IMG]

Important edit:
    I should have mentioned/specified, that I'm talking abount SVs and HVs only. On CVs there is mostly enough surface and tricks like shutter windows possible that's not a challenge to not bury them there.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
  11. dpburke2

dpburke2 Captain

As for myself, exposed. The furthest I have gone is the "open" shuttered windows, not just for the protection but to hide the thruster from sight to make the lines of the vessel look better, in my opinion. Now I do have a blueprint in progress where I use 2 x 2 thrusters, leave an airspace and then the final exposure is 1 x 2, a smaller target than thrusters completely on the outside hull. Of course, then there is the Archon that has exposed thrusters but put at angles and places where most of them might be harder to hit.

12. Razorwire

Razorwire Captain

Generally: Exposed when using thruster blocks, buried when using Jets. You just can't mesh jets into a block shape at all. So I box them. I generally leave a vent texture on/over their thrust point.

You give me an alt-shape for the jets that actually blends seamlessly with *some* kind of block shape, and I'll start exposing them more often :D

dpburke2 and Tyrax Lightning like this.
  13. Myrmidon

Myrmidon Rear Admiral

binhthuy71 and Tyrax Lightning like this.
  14. rainyday

rainyday Rear Admiral

Pretty much the same. I never fully bury thrusters (don't quote me on that, did not double check each and every of my builds :p ), there's atleast somekind of 'airway' in front of the thrusters. But some of them practically might as well be buried, as they use slopes or whatever to 'redirect' the thrusters force.

I do what feels good - if thruster damage becomes a thing, Im sure I have plenty of builds to modify. Even if exposed thrusters is something I've tried to do. You just can't know the rules yet - so until that happens, I'm using ramps, shutters and anything that feels 'OK' to me :)

dpburke2, Tyrax Lightning and rucky like this.
  15. rucky

rucky Rear Admiral

What is this??

A Stargate / MEGA Portal ??
    (Babylon 5 / Freelancer Alien hybrid... and MOBILE :eek::eek::eek:)

edit:
    ah I see:

16. Razorwire

Razorwire Captain

Can't see that thread, shows an error. Second time today, wonder if it's me...

Did you solve it like this? - https://empyriononline.com/threads/cv-rotation.30816/#post-195878

Spawn your ship in creative, and remove the cockpit and any passenger seats. Move the core outside the area you want to rotate (offscreen in this pic):
    [​IMG]

Hit N to get the building menu open, then click somewhere on your ship to get the initial selection area to pop up:
    [​IMG]

Hit the 'Scale Selection' button to change the cone grab handles to cubes:
    [​IMG]

Drag the cubes one colour at a time until the selection box covers the area you want to rotate, but not over the core. You might find that hitting N, relocating your avatar and hitting N again helps you figure when an axis is covered:
    [​IMG]

Scale the other axis so the whole area is covered (core still off camera):
    [​IMG]

Hit the 'Cut' button to vanish your ship, and then hit the 'Paste' button to bring it back in a green preview box:
    [​IMG]

Hit 'Rotate Part' to bring up the rotation handles, and rotate the ship (or the bit of it you are modifying) to where you want it. You may need to switch back to 'Move' and adjust it if you've got the green box stuck in the ground.
    When you're happy with the rotation, hit the Paste button again to finalise it.

You should now have a rotated CV:
    [​IMG]

Don't forget to move the core back and re-fit the cockpit :D

17. rainyday

rainyday Rear Admiral

Looks to be four different ships - parked together. Also looks like it's missing something in the center? Very intriguing :cool:

It is simply beautiful build, well done @Jenniphurr :)

18. Myrmidon

Myrmidon Rear Admiral

Tyrax Lightning and Razorwire like this.
  19. Razorwire

Razorwire Captain

No worries, was just interested. re-read my response, and it does come off as snippy. Apologies.

Mine wouldn't move with the seats or core, I wonder if it was the axis. I went nose up, so it'd have put the seats in an unusable position. You rotated flat, yes?

20. Myrmidon

Myrmidon Rear Admiral