Fixed Vessels sinking into blocks & terrain [7729 - 7809]

Discussion in 'Fixed (Read Only)' started by upsidedownpancake, Dec 18, 2020.

1. Fenra369

Fenra369 Commander

This issue still occurs when you fly around in god mode.

2. Attilles

Attilles Ensign

I'm still having this issue. Using Nitrado to set up a server for my friends and I and our HVs continue to sink into the ground, even through base foundations, until they touch soil.

3. Pantera

Pantera Administrator Staff Member

• Developer
    Hi can you attach or link to a copy of the save game with your character left standing in this location ?

Germanicus likes this.
  4. Daimonicon

Daimonicon Lieutenant

The bug does not seem to occur in single player anymore.
    Exp v1.4 Build: 3259

That was a bit quick - the sinking still happens, even if only slowly and much less. And the vehicle (mostly CV) on which the other sinking vehicles are docked is repositioned regularly.

However, I have not observed any more sinking of the vehicles below the ground.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2021
  5. DarkMaid

DarkMaid Commander

Currently re-testing at the same base from my earlier posts. So far after returning from three trips to the starter moon in a different vessel my CV (that had been left parked) has stayed put on its concrete pad. I have more tests in mind but so far it looks encouraging.

However, I can report that on return from another trip (a few km's away to re-establish contact with Talon faction) a smaller CV I'd left parked on a small patch of flattened terrain DID sink partially through the material that the drill adds to bring the flattened area to "block level" as I call it. Unfortunately I couldn't get a screen shot: I went into godmode so that I could get a pic showing how far the landing gear had sunk but as I approached the ship it rose out of the soil on its own.

This same trip showed that a much larger CV that had been parked on a concrete pad was exactly as I left it so that is four passed tests so far (three to the moon and back and one doing something elsewhere on the playfield for a few minutes and returning).

To summarize:
    1) So far my CV parked on a concrete pad is behaving. Emphasis on "so-far"; more tests to confirm the bug fix is working.
    2) CV parked on "flattened terrain" (made using the drill) is sinking. Will try to get a screenshot next time it happens.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2021
  6. Alhira_K

Alhira_K Captain

Last edited: Feb 10, 2021
  7. DarkMaid

DarkMaid Commander

Follow-up to my last post with the latest patch (1.4.1 3260) having arrived in the meantime. Screenshot of CV sunk into terrain previously flattened using hand drill.

[​IMG]

BTW, my other CV parked on concrete pad again passed this particular test ie: leaving CV parked on a concrete pad, going somewhere else on the planet several km away for 20 mins. or so and returning. The issue with the flattened terrain seems to be persisting.

Build: v1.4.1 3260 (game started in Dec 2020 v1.3.1 3197 according to the console)
    Mode: Survival
    Mode: Singleplayer
    Seed: 43351

Reproducibility: So far 100% for me at this base.
    Severity: Trivial/Minor. I rarely use the flattening feature preferring to lay down concrete pads if I need a flat surface.

Type: Global? Whatever type flattened terrain belongs under.

Summary: CV's sink through flattened terrain. Specifically terrain that has been raised.

Description: CV will sink until it reaches the previously undisturbed soil beneath the added flattened material. If only the landing gear clips then the ship will stay that way until you get close enough to power up and then power down the CV. At that point it will pop out of the terrain and re-position itself properly on top of the flattened terrain.

I suspect if part of the hull had clipped it would be ejected more forcefully and end up in odd positions possibly on its side or rotated and it would do that as soon as you got within 150 m or so. For example, if the CV was equipped with 1 block high landing gear and half cube blocks were built around the gear then there is a chance that more than just the landing gear will clip the raised terrain.

Steps to Reproduce: (This is a suggestion, I've not actually experimented on a new patch of newly flattened terrain (yet)); also this particular game is now into a few patches: a better test would be with a brand new game started with latest build/patch.

1) Using the hand drill set to "Flattening", flatten a piece of land large enough to land a small CV onto. Terrain added must be of the "raised" kind as the flattening tool will both add and remove material to reach a certain block level.
    2) Land a small CV onto the flattened patch.
    3) Take a different vessel and fly about 3 km away (I guess outside rendering range or whatever).
    4) Do something for 20 mins. (shorter time might work, too, I'm just being conservative).
    5) If possible try to get to daylight so that you can observe the CV as you approach the base.
    6) Approach the base and watch the CV as you continue to get closer.

On the last experiment as I approached the base about 300 m away I could see that my large CV parked on a concrete pad was already nicely parked. The smaller CV parked on the flattened terrain I saw ascend maybe 3 blocks altitude and then settle down. When I got close enough I noted that the landing gear had ignored the raised flattened terrain and fetched up against the undisturbed soil beneath as per the first screen shot.

Devs may want to consider this a different bug now because the fix for CV's sinking through concrete pads has passed 5 tests so far where previously I could get a CV to sink through concrete 100% of the time (see my previous posts from a couple weeks ago) at this very base and with the same CV. (Of course the CV has grown a bit and I've had to expand the landing pad for it in consort).

For context here is a view of the test base (well, it's in-game but I actually built this base just to test the CV/concrete pad bug). I'm building another pad to the right of the base so that I have room to park a 3rd CV (not built yet).

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 10, 2021
    Fenra369 and Pantera like this.
  8. Khaleg

Khaleg Commander

In the first iteration of the bug, this was happening on not flattened terrain too, may be the implemented fix deals with default terrain, but has problems with modified one. Have you checked that this, effectively, is happening on modified terrain only? Just to be sure.

Fenra369 and Germanicus like this.
  9. DarkMaid

DarkMaid Commander

@Khaleg

Tbh I wouldn't know because I've never had any kind of vessel sink if it was left parked on virgin soil. No offense, but I'm not about to volunteer to start a battery of tests for a bunch of other conditions :) It's been time consuming enough just documenting and testing the concrete pad issue (which, fingers crossed, I'm hoping has been solved with 1.4).

Fenra369 likes this.
  10. Pantera

• Developer
    Regarding the sinking into the terrain this will be looked at as soon as possible this thread will be updated again when a fix is ready it this particular issue.

11. Fenra369

Fenra369 Commander

Just an idea, but I noticed the issue seems to occur fairly consistently when you have things parked nearby a green barrier. Every test I have in my Solag playfield I gave you always occurred for ships closest to the barrier, but not ones farther away. It occurred less frequently when I moved the POI ships farther away from the barrier, almost eliminating the issue in SP. It still happens in MP tho I think, but it's somewhat diminished.

12. DarkMaid

DarkMaid Commander

Re. flattened terrain: I noticed it is one of the last features to render. Doesn't render until about 220m away long after base building, concrete pads and ships have already rendered. May or may not be a factor in the sinking bug.

I noticed this while flying around in godmode while taking screenshots of my base.

13. DarkMaid

DarkMaid Commander

Just a quick report: so after many trips away from base to somewhere else on the same planet as well as to the orbital space and to the moon in the same system, on return my CV's have *not* been sinking into the concrete pads they were left parked on. Fairly high confidence that at least that bug has been squashed (at least for the conditions at this particular base/game).

The "CV sinking into raised/flattened terrain" is a different condition and I'll wait for further news on any fixes for that. I'll keep that patch of raised terrain available for future re-testing, though (rather than covering it over with more concrete :)

14. DarkMaid

DarkMaid Commander

Seems I was premature...

Slightly different circumstances but quite by accident (I wasn't testing anything) I had 2 out of my 3 CV's sink or jump off their concrete landing pads while I was doing something else near the base.

I was in the Dart SV flying in and out of render range of the base while making screenshots of a meteorite that had come in near my base. I'd been working on the inside of the far CV when I got the text warning about the incoming meteorite and I HEARD it coming in so I knew it'd landed pretty close by.

[​IMG]
    First screenshot I'm in godmode. Note the meteorite and all my ships which are parked properly. Time stamp 7:57:47 am.

[​IMG]
    I wanted a pic of the meteorite's contrail which I thought might require a ship with a radar pinger. I got in my SV Dart and was flying around in and out of render range and managed to get this shot of the contrail with the base in the background. Because the parked CV's are visually small from this range I didn't notice that at least one had sunk/moved sometime during the 6.5 minutes between the first screenshot and this one. Viewing the pic full size and zooming in on the CV's reveals that the one on the right is on its side. The small middle one has possibly sunk deep into its concrete pad but it's not 100% clear. The largest CV on the left did not move. Time stamp 8:04:11.

[​IMG]
    Closer shot from the same direction showing the two CV's either ejected or still stuck in the concrete.

Also, the small patch of flattened/raised terrain located immediately to the left of the left-most pad has still not rendered at 182m distance. I alluded to this delay in rendering this kind of feature two posts ago so by chance this pic gives visual evidence of that as well. Its (rendered) location can be seen from this earlier pic: https://i.imgur.com/Qh59Crt.png .

Re. raised/flattened terrain: I wonder if the CV's are being initiated & located on the virgin soil beneath the raised/flattened stuff first with the flattened/raised terrain being rendering in around the CV rather than the reverse order: Ie. rendering the raised/flattened terrain THEN bringing in the CV. Since the CV would be sitting on virgin soil the raised/flattened terrain would simply be generated right where any landing gear would already occupy. I don't know how the game engine handles initiating ships, bases & terrain and in what order but from appearances that's what it seems like happens.

Build: v1.4.2 3266
    Mode: Survival
    Mode: Singleplayer
    Seed-ID: 43351

Reproducibility: Haven't tried to replicate this exact situation. As per my earlier post it seemed the bug was fixed but those tests involved travelling a couple of km's away on same playfield and returning or leaving the playfield altogether and then returning. For this event I was flying in and out of render range of the base perhaps 4 or 5 times within a short time frame so maybe this cycling triggered at least 2 of the 3 CV's to glitch through the concrete.

Unrelated but I noticed that the contrail for the meteorite is rendered randomly. I got the contrail to render 3 times with the contrail in different directions each time.

The small CV was really stuck and it took the game engine two or three tries to eject it. This is achieved by walking up to the CV, pointing at it and turning it ON and then OFF from the power menu. Given the location of the concrete pad in relation to the lake below I half expected it to roll down the cliff into the drink (after it got free) and I'd be fishing for CV's :D However, it managed to free itself and stay on the pad. The landing gear and ramp were still clipped but I was able to get in and take off and re-land it without further issue. The other CV was already free of the concrete so it was just a matter of godmoding to the pilot seat, powering up and hitting "O" to right it.

None of the moved CV's had docked vessels in or on them at the time. The smaller CV is actually designed to haul my small mining HV to and from mine-able meteorites (because we all know how sucky HV's are at moviing through forests and whatnot).

The CV that didn't move is only about a week or so old -- just in case that is any factor in why it didn't sink. I didn't go back out to render distance and back to see if I could sink the unaffected ship or not, though.

Kinda bummed there is still something going on with the CV's and concrete as it seemed to have been solved up to this event. Don't normally fly in and out of render range though: typically I arrive back from some task and land without messing around. A simple approach and landing sequence has not triggered the sinking for quite some time (per my last post).

Last edited: Feb 20, 2021
  15. stanley bourdon

stanley bourdon Captain

thank you for your continued work on this.

Since this group of behaviors started I have parked my CV on my landing pad after each update. Most times I am momentarily hopeful that the fix is in but invariably with enough re logs or flights back to base, the CV feels the need to move. With said movement eventually, the docked SV displace and stay docked. AT least for me the docked ship displacement has been up and easily fixed (parked on the roof).

Watching the CV doing its movement has been especially entertaining twice. First when I watched it roll from on its side leaning on the landing pad to 500 meters away continually wondering when it would stop. It seemed to roll forever. The second when it went from on its side to sitting upright in a reasonable parking position landing gear extended ramp deployed (not in a place I had ever parked it).

This all taking place on MP servers.

16. stanley bourdon

stanley bourdon Captain

today my ship is 350 meters from where I parked, not unusual, what is unusual is it is right side up and sitting square on the ground landing gear extended. Just keeps surprising me.

17. Khaleg

Khaleg Commander

Sorry to tell this but the bug mentioned here:
    https://empyriononline.com/threads/docked-vessels-falling-though-cv-sort-of-7784.96920/page-2

... and that it have relationship with the bug in this same post, it is not fully fixed. Yesterday I left the CV on virgin soil, not modified one, I gone to explore and put some auto-miners, at my return, one of the docked SVs was sunk in the hangar floor up to 50% of the full height of the SV, was very difficult recover it. It does not happen that often, but still is happening.

Unfortunately I have no save game of this event, because I was not testing proactively. Next time I will have the precaution of take a save game before going away and another one after returning to my CV.

stanley bourdon and Germanicus like this.
  18. Pantera

• Developer
    If there is still something happening as of v1.4.3 B3274 please supply a save game where this can be reliably triggered with instructions on exactly what to do once loading into the save game.
    The 2 previous use cases of this I had no longer trigger.

Germanicus likes this.