.epb documentation

Discussion in 'The Hangar Bay' started by Exacute, Feb 24, 2017.

1. Exacute

Exacute Rear Admiral

As the title states, I am searching for some kind of documentation of the epb file format (Assuming epb=>empyrionblueprint)

From some simple tests, I can conclude that the format isn't self-explanatory pattern-wise, and I'd def. prefer not spending a lot of timeTM trying to figure out what is what in the format.

Anyone happen to have toyed around with the content of the files, and possibly even documented it?

(In case you are curious why I'm digging into the file format: Given I can understand the format, I can write software to analyze it, and determine where what is located, the size, what is passages, etc. and expand it to a random-structure generator)

life2727 likes this.
  2. Exacute

Exacute Rear Admiral

Second guess that. There does appear to be a structure, yes. (not too surprising)
    But I would certainly still enjoy having it documented, instead of starting from there :p

3. Exacute

Exacute Rear Admiral

Sorta a bump.. I've spent a few hours at it yet again.. But I truly do not understand the data.. it have irregular length, for several samples of the same thing, and different data aswell. which is super confusing.
    there's no apparant logic.. There seems to be a header, and a footer, but their data is not constant for the same creation..

Anyone got any kind of epb documentation?

4. Riebart

Riebart Ensign

It isn't really documentation, but my tool is able to read and write the blueprint format section, and some basic parameters that are part of the bare .epb files: https://github.com/Riebart/EmpyrionGSTools

It's not set up to be a file format documentation reference, but the logic is there to read and write block types, block orientations, block materials, and blueprint type.

Notable things that are skipped:
    • Devices in a blueprint
    • Steam account information for local blueprints
    • Block colours/textures/letters
    Since your goal is a random structure generator, this tool should be enough to get you started with building out shells/structures. It would even be sufficient to built your structures as polygonal meshes, and use this tool directly, which means you don't need to understand the format yourself.

There's a Hangar Bay thread for the tool here: http://empyriononline.com/threads/empyrion-model-import-tool.10280/

Exacute likes this.
  5. ThalonMook

ThalonMook Lieutenant

Hi I saw a thread where someone wrote a tool to convert STL files into *.epb

I trink there you can see the format of the files.
    I will post the link if I found it.

Cu Thalon

6. ThalonMook

ThalonMook Lieutenant

7. Exacute

Exacute Rear Admiral

Thank you both for your suggestions.
    Unfortuneatly, it will not accomplish what I'm looking to do.
    To make an actual usefull tool, that will make good content, I need to understand the format in the first place, to take user-generated content, and mix it together into a proper result.
    The tool will either way be a start for understanding it. But if anyone can offer proper documentation, it would greatly speed the development time <3

8. Magicslayer

Magicslayer Ensign

I'm also looking for a roadmap of the blueprint files. I just want to convert CV's to Bases and vice versa, or SV's to CV's. I'm also looking to export my EGS creations to Blender, a reverse of the above mentioned tool.

9. Apan Loon

Apan Loon Lieutenant

Bumping an old thread... I have made some progress on this and would appreciate some assistance filling in the gaps: https://github.com/ApanLoon/EmpyrionStuff Check the wiki section for the current state of my understanding of the file format.

10. Magicslayer

Magicslayer Ensign

Converting CV's to SV's or any other ship type is actually easier now with the repair to template. The template is stored in the shared folder under the ship ID number. "savegame\shared\BA_Player#####\backup.ebp" If you replace the "backup*.ebp" with the blueprint of the ship you want to convert then load back into the game and repair to template, the ship will become what ever the blueprint is and remain the class of ship of the original. I'll be releasing a video of this soon. ^_^

11. Myrmidon

Myrmidon Rear Admiral

So repair to template algorithm considers any vessel placed on repair block that differs with the class of the backup .epb file, as a damaged one even if it contains all the blocks and has taken no damage at all? Very interesting.

TLDR

Place just a starter block of a SV on the T2 repair block, exit game.
    Copy the backup.epb from CV folder you like to the new starter block SV folder, resume game.
    Place needed materials and start repair to template....
    SV now takes the shape of the CV.
    Profit...

PS You still need to place the materials, right? I mean those are calculated by the backup. epb which means in the case described you need to spend CV amount of materials to create a SV, right? Either I am missing something or this is a huge waste of materials converting a CV to SV and huge materials exploit on creating a CV from a SV or HV......

Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
    Kassonnade likes this.
  12. Magicslayer

Magicslayer Ensign

It seems to take a look at block placement and type compared to the on on the .epb file. So if you place an SV to be repaired and changed the backup.epb file of one from a CV, the repair pad will see it as the ship on the pad has missing blocks and needs to be repaired. Then, when it's done, the SV will be a copy of the CV, just in SV form.

13. Myrmidon

Myrmidon Rear Admiral

What about exact numbers though? Give us two examples on the amount of materials needed compared to the original please. One from CV to SV and one form SV to CV. Oh and do not forget to give us the total time needed for the procedure to complete.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
  14. Magicslayer

Magicslayer Ensign

I'll cover this on my livestream today. The process takes a long time on the repair pad and it'll take a while to actually replace, but I'll show the process as well as the material requirements and time to complete. ^_^ The livestream is at www.twitch.tv/wolvesentertainment/

15. Myrmidon

Myrmidon Rear Admiral

I keep that "....the process takes a long time on the repair pad..." of yours and also add the fact that the player still have to replace any different type components in example thrusters, cockpits etc. Console command replaceblocks seems far more reliable not to mention faster. Oh and you do not waste any materials during the process....

16. Magicslayer

Magicslayer Ensign

lol, So when I finally got the CV to spawn in, it had the SV that I used for repair on the inside, so only leave the core before doing this. The materials aren't wasted, you're bringing in an "SV" that has combat steal, turrets, and other CV features. The materials used is the same if you bring in the CV from your blueprint, it's just in SV form. This is very "cheaty" just because you can bypass the NoTurrets and NoCombatSteal rules for SV's. ^_^

17. Myrmidon

Myrmidon Rear Admiral

When I wrote "waste" I was referring to the fact that the player wants to build a SV with the R2T trick and has to consume all the materials needed for the CV to be built. After the SV is done, if you examine the outcome SV does it still need the amount of materials the CV needs to be build repaired etc? I suspect it does not.

PS where is the video you mentioned above?

18. Magicslayer

Magicslayer Ensign

It's not a "SV" but a mini version of the CV with all the perks. I wasn't streaming when the CV-SV hybrid was done. I can goto whats left of the CV after I removed the "Gnat" SV from it to show the differences. ^_^

19. Myrmidon

Myrmidon Rear Admiral

Sorry I got confused. I thought that the process was similar to the manual copy of the CV file to the SV file and then change the blocks with the use of "replaceblocks" command, as described in the following video at 8:20. If you hear, he says that the illegal blocks cause problems when you try to use them.

20. Magicslayer

Magicslayer Ensign

I can see that. You're not suppose to have an SV with CV turrets. ^_^