SV usuelss for POI attacks

Discussion in 'FAQ & Feedback' started by TrashMan, Jan 5, 2020.

1. TrashMan

TrashMan Commander

Because you have to go in on foot to clear the POI, and a SV cannot defend itself.
    Then you have enemy drones/soliders pick it apart.
    Oh, if only you could put a turret on it...but you can't.

I realize the devs want to make HVs useful, but this retarded, forced limitations are infuriating and a wrong way to go..
    Just give HV's huge fuel and cargo efficiency, as they should have.

Eldiroth and bluemax151 like this.
  2. You can dock a HV with turrets onto the SV and then undock it nearby the POI as you assault it. Then when you are ready to go inside the POI park the SV and HV near one another and the HV can defend the SV.
    Just be aware that the HV turrets won't work while docked.

Yes, they are intentionally not allowing turrets onto the SV in order to keep the HV more relevant.

Germanicus, SacredGlade and ion_storm like this.
  3. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

I always clear the surrounding area of soldiers and drones first.

Vermillion and runlykhel like this.
  4. Ronewird

Ronewird Commander

Why you make with sv the job of hv?

5. Minelaus

Minelaus Captain

i dont know if that is still so but when the turrets of a hover kill automaticly enemys you get no XP , so cleaning up with a sv was a good way to make xp , but i build the last hover in survival in alpha 9 so my infos are a little bit old :D;)

Germanicus likes this.
  6. IndigoWyrd

IndigoWyrd Rear Admiral

If I'm laying siege to a POI via SV....

This will be an SV with 4 seeker missiles, 4 dumbfire missiles, and my attack approach is:

Destroy external turrets
    Destroy any ground forces outside or drones.
    Level POI completely.
    Move on.

If I want to loot a POI, I use an SV to take out the external weapons and land a good distance away from the POI and make my own approach on foot - or I'll tunnel under said POI and enter from below ground, laying waste to anything unfortunate enough to be in my way. I'm pretty wicked with a shotgun.

7. Average

Average Commander

8. EternalHeathen

EternalHeathen Captain

I'm finding the opposite is happening for me. Once I get to the midgame, I don't use HV's for anything other than underground mining. Far easier to kill POI's and everything around them from an SV, because SV's aren't (usually) going to get flipped over by a small pebble or stuck on a tree and then picked apart by enemy turrets. Just de-toothed 2 moons worth of POI's yesterday while tweaking and testing thruster configs on my SV.

I do like the idea of making hv cargo capacity somewhere between sv's and cv's, might use them more.

bluemax151, Needleship and Jieirn like this.
  9. boo

boo Commander

about enemi turret, the green firing AI turrets are slow and easy to dodge, the laser turrets did less damage than the green one... only the rocket turret did good damage and cant be dodge.

so just get a sv with 4 rockets and shield, fire them 2 time on the most dangerous turret to the weakest, and they are dead. sometimes, i did a kamikaze fight... flying fast to hit the bottom of a POI with my sv, most of them have a dead angle where turret cant shoot you ...but you can shoot them, or make a hole in it to the core..... then destroy it.

only drone base with shield will require a heavy HV with turret that autoblast anything on sight and decrease the shield greately.

10. IndigoWyrd

IndigoWyrd Rear Admiral

Actually a shielded Drone Base can be razed with an SV fitted with 4 pulse lasers and 4 seeker rockets. If you're already familiar with a particular POI, quick strikes to the core will shut it down often faster than taking out the turrets - most notable here are the Epsilon Defense stations. The core is quite easy to strike as long as you know where it is.

11. Khazul

Khazul Rear Admiral

TBH I prefer to use an HV to clear patrol enemies while remaining hidden from the POIs turrets so the HV doesn't get trashed by them, then ill zig-zag run towards the base and just sap it, or use a cheap throw away HV for a mad dash to the base and sap it.

I also have a miner that was some weird experiment but failed as a miner as it turned out to be too unstable and powerful, however it is a really fast tunnelling machine so doesn't take long to dig a couple of hundred meters and blow up the core from below (for bases that you know the core is there). It never got used for mining, but with a load of rocket turrets all over it, it has found another use :)

12. xerxes86

xerxes86 Commander

My favorite tactic is to, use an SV to clear any turrets. Then use a CV (even if it's just a bare bones one with some turrets and storage) to clear soldiers, and park next to the POI. Then take the POI. If I can't do that I will use an HV instead of a CV, and make multiple trips to carry the loot away.

stanley bourdon likes this.
  13. IblisTheMage

IblisTheMage Ensign

Using SV with 10+ 15mm machine guns for PoI, have been burrying them (manually with drill) to keep them safe, and also to make them puncuture the base from below.

based on above input I will try to make them large enough to dock a HV, for improved drilling and local defense, sounds fun.